Battery issues

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
LVision

Post by LVision »

Had a chat with the service manager at our OPC regarding leaving our macan for 5 weeks ,he said that boxer/Cayman batteries usually went flat after 2/3 weeks ,the Macan could be o/k for 4/5 weeks but could not gurantee it would start after that length of time,he recommended a trickle/maintainence Smart charger to keep the battery fully charged so purchased one and it's now coupled up to the Macan.
Steve W

Nice on Steve, thinking along similar lines myself just to be on the safe side. You say you it's now 'coupled up' to your car, is this a semi permanent install (have seen some that have a sort of fly lead connected to the battery terminals and when you want to trickle charge you simply connect to the charger) ? If the case pictures would be good. Ta

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I left my Macan Diesel S for three weeks last November and it started up without any problem when I got back. It didn't sound as if it was struggling at all so I'm sure it would have gone a while longer.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Spud

Post by Spud »

Steve now you've got the smart charger I take it my offer has been rejected 😉
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Scott Cowan

Post by Scott Cowan »

How is the battery charged in the Macan? The reason I ask is because my wife's 330d bm doesn't have a belt driving the alternator, but rather uses energy recuperation through braking and free wheeling aparently according to our dealer.. Could it be the same in the Macan? Hence the battery is more prone to becoming discharged quicker if you do a lot of shorter journeys.
Manual 992 GT3 Touring (due January 2024)
2014 LR Defender 110 JE Engineering restomod 4.8L V8
BMW 330E (my wife's car)
Macan Turbo
DaveMacan

Post by DaveMacan »

I've certainly left mine for three weeks with no real problem, maybe not quite as lively when I first started but it was a really cold that day. Anyway, this is what I use, I believe Porsche rebadge CTEK so I saved some dosh and went for the CTEK MXS 5.0 which is the next model up from what Porsche rebrand. It's also suitable for the Macans AGM battery.
Maybe a bit old fashioned these days, but I raise the bonnet and connect to the terminals with the crocodile clips! I have got the cigarette lighter adaptor but there seems to be some debate as to whether the lighter socket disables itself after 30 mins, I must give it a try. The only other extra I purchased was the battery extension lead which keeps the charger away from the engine bay.
Parson911

Post by Parson911 »

I've certainly left mine for three weeks with no real problem, maybe not quite as lively when I first started but it was a really cold that day. Anyway, this is what I use, I believe Porsche rebadge CTEK so I saved some dosh and went for the CTEK MXS 5.0 which is the next model up from what Porsche rebrand. It's also suitable for the Macans AGM battery.

Maybe a bit old fashioned these days, but I raise the bonnet and connect to the terminals with the crocodile clips! I have got the cigarette lighter adaptor but there seems to be some debate as to whether the lighter socket disables itself after 30 mins, I must give it a try. The only other extra I purchased was the battery extension lead which keeps the charger away from the engine bay.

I connect my CTEK using the cigarette lighter socket in the smoker package. I leave on charge for days with no disconnection issues. Have used this connection method with all my Porsches. My Macan was showing low battery warning after standing for two weeks.
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

I think the macan was designed to be a do it all SUV so should be used as such and not wrapped up in cotton wool but out in the fresh air strutting its stuff whatever the conditions, so all members must from this day forward give in to macan sharing to those who are without a macan yet... these machines are not to be moth balled like antiques but need to be driven everyday like mine is.. so sorry I've no off time to donate my macan yet as its rolling everyday...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
essexmum

Post by essexmum »

Mine would predomitly be a daily driver, but I'm a teacher so during the school holidays I can go a few days without needing the car, also as a two car family my husbands car is normally the go-to family car so the Macan would be sat without moving for two weeks while we're on holidays. I just can't be.wice that a £50k+ car can/should have these issues whereas a car a quarter of the price doesn't
DaveMacan

Post by DaveMacan »

Couldn't agree more jonmacan, it's just the wife's holiday bucket list sometimes gets in the way! DaveMacan2016-01-28 22:33:20
Mcanny

Post by Mcanny »

just got back from a 3 week trip to Asia Macan left standing outside and boxster in Garage..... both started fine and battery sounded strong in both.
www.porsche-code.com/PG7L9Qc5 sold 24th March 2016

GTS ordered 9th November 15, May 16 build, May 24th delivered www.porsche-code.com/PH62SLM5