Battery issues

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mine's sat in the garage back home for the past 5 weeks with temperatures of -18 at times! I am back in UK at the moment, so I'll let you know if it starts when I get back! Confused

OK I'm now back home in Germany, and the car has sat in the garage since 29 Dec 15, a total of 5 weeks enduring some pretty low temperatures.
Started first time! Here's a shot of the voltage once I'd reversed out of the garage and switched the engine off:
Just went for a 30 minute drive. Only issue was some brake judder, not surprisingly, but it lessened after quite heavy brake tests - I was then asked to stop as my daughter was feeling sick! Dead
I have now left it in the garage with the handbrake off - just left the shift lever in 'park'. Not sure if this is recommended.

Guy2016-02-02 17:12:10

On-Track

Post by On-Track »

I just can't be.wice that a £50k+ car can/should have these issues whereas a car a quarter of the price doesn't

Don't forget you started this thread by saying you'd seen this on the internet. Not everything on the net is absolutely true. Looking at most of the responses it doesn't really look as if this £50k+ car actually has a battery issue.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The only 'normal' car I know that has battery issues is Ferrari, and to solve that problem they all seem to have battery cut-off switches so you don't run it down. A neighbour of mine was always cursing when he forgot to use it and couldn't get his pride and joy started on a weekend!

I suppose Porsche not immune. IIRC my brother had an issue with his 997 GT3 RS - when the battery dies, you can't even open the doors, the engine is immobilised and the override is somewhere embedded in the internals, so you need a ramp to get to it. Bit of a faff really.

But normal normal cars like ours should be fine :)
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

I think that once our cars are a few years old then it is more likely that batteries will drain if the cars are left parked up for a couple of weeks. New cars should be ok for a few years.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

The handbook says when parked the electronic brake should always be applied. Presumably it is then always consuming power in that state.
Didn't know there is a voltage indication. Will I have that on my SD ?
goron59

Post by goron59 »

The handbook says when parked the electronic brake should always be applied. Presumably it is then always consuming power in that state.

The parking brake doesn't consume power when applied. Just when it moves.

The biggest power drain is going to be the the alarm sensors and tracker. And the computer bits and bobs that need to be awake enough to deal with it all.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Guy

Post by Guy »

Yes, it's one of the many 'fields' that you can chose to be included on the 'Vehicle' menu on the display. Available fields:

Available display contents:

.- ."Veh. voltage."

.- ."Boost pressure." (depending on model)

.- ."Oil pressure."

.- ."Oil temperature."

.- ."Coolant temp.." .- Coolant temperature

.- ."Fuel range."

.- ."Dst: Arrival." .- Arrival time at destination

.- ."Int: Arrival." .- Arrival time at intermediate

destination

.- ."Dst: Trip time." .- Driving time to destination

.- ."Int: Trip time." .- Driving time to intermediate

destination

.- ."Compass." (on multi-function display)

.- ."GPS height." .- elevation of vehicle above sea

level

.- ."Time."

.- ."Date."

.- ."Station/Track." .- Current radio station/

music track

.- ."Phone info." .- Network strength/network

name

.- ."Blank line." .- Line remains empty

Cristo

Post by Cristo »

Hi,
Just bought a new Macan Turbo which will not be used sometimes for several weeks but wanted to be sure the battery remains in good condition. I have an Optimate 6 which is a bit more sophisticated than the C-Techs andhas the ability to not only keep a battery always charged up but also has the ability to monitor, maintain and also recover batteries that many would regard as dead and finished.
What I am interested to know about is the live situation of the Cigarette lighter point in the cargo area. For me this is an ideal location to plug in my device using the cigarette lighter plug adapter but so far the charger shows up a Red/Orange light after a 24 hour charge as though the battery is not good. Is it a fact that this socket shuts down after a set period thus cutting it off as a suitable charging point ?
Any advice or experience would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Cristo
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Hi,
Just bought a new Macan Turbo which will not be used sometimes for several weeks but wanted to be sure the battery remains in good condition. I have an Optimate 6 which is a bit more sophisticated than the C-Techs andhas the ability to not only keep a battery always charged up but also has the ability to monitor, maintain and also recover batteries that many would regard as dead and finished.
What I am interested to know about is the live situation of the Cigarette lighter point in the cargo area. For me this is an ideal location to plug in my device using the cigarette lighter plug adapter but so far the charger shows up a Red/Orange light after a 24 hour charge as though the battery is not good. Is it a fact that this socket shuts down after a set period thus cutting it off as a suitable charging point ?
Any advice or experience would be very much appreciated.
Thanks
Cristo

Have a read here:

IIRC the boot socket is used by a few peeps and the trick is to connect the charger, power it up, then switch ignition on for the charger to 'recognise' the system and then turn the ignition off.

I haven't used a charger on mine yet so the above is my recollection of what others have done.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Paul

Post by Paul »

Don't really want to re-open the debate, but any modern car will easily go a couple of months with no need to "maintain" the battery.

Mine spent 2 weeks at the dealership having seat bases replaced (ie, started oncet o drive in to workshop ....dismantled.....left in the car park for 10 days...parts finally arrived....fitted....I'm guessing with the doors left open......driven home and left on my drive for a further week whilst in France Ski-ing ......)
started first turn this morning.......

All the electrical drains power down progressively once the car is switched off .....unless you're leaving the car for 6 months and then don't drive the car for more than 10 minutes, then personally I don't see the need.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465