Battery issues

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Cristo

Post by Cristo »

....Many thanks for your prompt response. Will give that a try

Parson911

Post by Parson911 »

Due to my circumstances my GTS has been garaged for six weeks. I use a Porsche charger/ conditioner plugged into the cigarette lighter. It disconnects after about a week so I have to switch the ignition on to reset it. My previous 997 did not do that.
Cristo

Post by Cristo »

.....Thanks for your comments, much appreciated. However one thing I should mention is batteries do not like to be left for too long without receiving a charge, despite the fact they are still capable of starting the car. Keeping one of these special chargers connected as much as possible dramatically extends the life of a battery as the cells perform better by not disintegrating. I have experience of batteries on my BMW 7 series and a collectors Porsche 911 Turbo lasting in excess of 7 years and still ok...
pt964

Post by pt964 »

Parson911 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:00 pm I've certainly left mine for three weeks with no real problem, maybe not quite as lively when I first started but it was a really cold that day. Anyway, this is what I use, I believe Porsche rebadge CTEK so I saved some dosh and went for the CTEK MXS 5.0 which is the next model up from what Porsche rebrand. It's also suitable for the Macans AGM battery. Maybe a bit old fashioned these days, but I raise the bonnet and connect to the terminals with the crocodile clips! I have got the cigarette lighter adaptor but there seems to be some debate as to whether the lighter socket disables itself after 30 mins, I must give it a try. The only other extra I purchased was the battery extension lead which keeps the charger away from the engine bay.   

I connect my CTEK using the cigarette lighter socket in the smoker package. I leave on charge for days with no disconnection issues. Have used this connection method with all my Porsches. My Macan was showing low battery warning after standing for two weeks.

Which way do you route the cable from the cigarette lighter socket to the charger. I’ve had a look today and couldn’t see a way to thread through door shuts/seals
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Read through the thread "Keep Your Battery Healthy Too". There's a link to a tutorial on the topic of how to connect a Macan to various chargers.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

pt964 wrote: Sat Mar 28, 2020 6:19 pm
Parson911 wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:00 pm I've certainly left mine for three weeks with no real problem, maybe not quite as lively when I first started but it was a really cold that day. Anyway, this is what I use, I believe Porsche rebadge CTEK so I saved some dosh and went for the CTEK MXS 5.0 which is the next model up from what Porsche rebrand. It's also suitable for the Macans AGM battery. Maybe a bit old fashioned these days, but I raise the bonnet and connect to the terminals with the crocodile clips! I have got the cigarette lighter adaptor but there seems to be some debate as to whether the lighter socket disables itself after 30 mins, I must give it a try. The only other extra I purchased was the battery extension lead which keeps the charger away from the engine bay.   

I connect my CTEK using the cigarette lighter socket in the smoker package. I leave on charge for days with no disconnection issues. Have used this connection method with all my Porsches. My Macan was showing low battery warning after standing for two weeks.

Which way do you route the cable from the cigarette lighter socket to the charger. I’ve had a look today and couldn’t see a way to thread through door shuts/seals
I prefer to keep the CTEK charger in the car and place it in the dash so it can be seen from outside through the windscreen. I then run an extension cable through the slightly open passenger window so the plug/socket is in the footwell. If outside and uncovered I then simply use some duct tape along the small opening in the window to prevent rain entering the car. Works for me.
pt964

Post by pt964 »

Thanks for the replies
RAA

Post by RAA »

Is it considered illegal now, to just go out for a long, brisk drive on the motorway, so the engine heats up enough to burn off the carbon deposits on the exhaust filter, and keep the battery fully charged ? I don't see a problem if I'm not mixing with others.
pmg

Post by pmg »

RAA wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm Is it considered illegal now, to just go out for a long, brisk drive on the motorway, so the engine heats up enough to burn off the carbon deposits on the exhaust filter, and keep the battery fully charged ? I don't see a problem if I'm not mixing with others.

If not visiting a medic, pharmacy or essential food shopping, then the argument they are using against driving to a location to exercise a dog or oneself, would seem to apply. That is the risk of an accident taking up emergency services resources, Yes their restrictions are being broken.

There are going to be a lot of clogged dpf's and flat batteries if these restrictions are applied any time.
2019 Macan S Porsche code PKW8WKI8
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

RAA wrote: Sun Mar 29, 2020 6:26 pm Is it considered illegal now, to just go out for a long, brisk drive on the motorway, so the engine heats up enough to burn off the carbon deposits on the exhaust filter, and keep the battery fully charged ? I don't see a problem if I'm not mixing with others.
One could argue, especially if over a certain age, that constant access to a reliable form of transport was essential to one's wellbeing and ongoing security.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀