21 wheels no PASM?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
GW2015

Post by GW2015 »

I test drove a SD with 21s and standard suspension for a full day, yet had no issues at all over some fairly rough roads. Every other Macan I see has 21s and I would bet most haven't either PASM or air. Have they all got it wrong??

I'd bet a lot more have PASM with 21's than don't to be honest....

MOB

Post by MOB »

Well, we took it for a test drive today

And it's fine, only over some terrible surfaces did it really show signs of jitteriness

It's better than the ride on a 4 series with 20" wheels with run flats for reference

Thanks for everyone's input, much appreciated
2018 Macan SD
2012 CLS63 AMG
NSS

Post by NSS »

When at the PEC the instructor said that she thought a car without PASM is set up to replicate the comfort setting in the PASM. I have 21'' and PASM and I use the comfort setting around town and sport in the country. The speed bumps are a bit choppy otherwise. If your wife was ok with those run flats I don't think she would have a problem with no PASM. My wife had a Cooper S with 17'' run flats and I don't think I have ever been in a car with such a terrible ride, but she was ok in it.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Well, we took it for a test drive today

And it's fine, only over some terrible surfaces did it really show signs of jitteriness

It's better than the ride on a 4 series with 20" wheels with run flats for reference

Great news, MOB. Thanks for the feedback. I'm buying a Macan on 21"s and no PASM, but haven't test driven a Macan with that spec Embarrassed So pleased to hear from you & others that it's fine! Thumbs Up
Similarly, I'm confident that it will be a better ride than my Evoque on 20"s given the superior engineering of the Porsche.
So are you buying that Macan...??? Ermm
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SPL

Post by SPL »

Glad you found it spot on.

For those who are PASM daft Wink I don't think Porsche would make a suspension that is not good with 21" wheels..Confused

For me it was no PASM and 21" Wheels - here is why;

Please read Page 15 of the Tequipment brochure... "[1] 21-inch Sport Classic wheels with summer tyres These forged one-piece alloy wheels with five-spoke Sport Classic design are intimately associated with the history of the 911. Their appearance pays homage to the historic Fuchs wheel, which was used for the first time in 1966 on the Porsche 911 S. Made from forged aluminium, these wheels are both light and resilient. Their low weight helps to reduce unsprung masses, which increases ride comfort and improves agility. Not only do they offer optimum dynamic performance, they feature a GT Silver Metallic paint finish with a high-gloss polished outer edge for an equally dynamic appearance."

I think the standard suspension is spot on with 21" wheels. It's not soft (wouldn't want it to be and wouldn't expect it to be) but it's also not too hard.

SPL2016-02-21 17:48:53
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
LLL

Post by LLL »

I think this picture illustrates PASM very well. PASM gives higher comfort and higher level of sportiness than standard springs. The standard setup is in the middle and since it is not able to adapt it is a compromise. Saying that the standard springs is simlar to PASM in comfort mode is strange to hear from someone working at PEC.

That saying, the standard suspension on 21" is for sure very good anyway!

Luke2016-02-21 17:45:51
SPL

Post by SPL »

Mrs MOB has found a really nice Macan, however it has 21" wheels and no PASM. Everything else is spot on

She would not use the PASM functionality in all likelihood, as she has it in her current car and never changes it

So what is the ride likely to be like with this combo?

The dealer has kindly offered to swap to 20"s FOC bless him lol

I went on a marathon trip with SPL touring Europe last year and his car is on 21's with no PASM. The ride was absolutely fine, taught but composed and comfy. Just a few times when he was pushing hard and oversteering in the bends on the Stelvio and other passes i thought would PASM give him a more consistent traction an feel but he was pushing on and not many people have the talent to exploit a cars performance like that. Respect! Your missus would be fine without.

Will do the same trip in your GTS and push harder.. LOLWink
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Glad you found it spot on. For those who are PASM daft Wink do you really think Porsche would make a suspension that is not good with 21" wheels..Confused For me it was no PASM and 21" Wheels - here is why;

Please read Page 15 of the Tequipment brochure... "[1] 21-inch Sport Classic wheels with summer tyres These forged one-piece alloy wheels with five-spoke Sport Classic design are intimately associated with the history of the 911. Their appearance pays homage to the historic Fuchs wheel, which was used for the first time in 1966 on the Porsche 911 S. Made from forged aluminium, these wheels are both light and resilient. Their low weight helps to reduce unsprung masses, which increases ride comfort and improves agility. Not only do they offer optimum dynamic performance, they feature a GT Silver Metallic paint finish with a high-gloss polished outer edge for an equally dynamic appearance."

I think the standard suspension is spot on with 21" wheels. It's not soft (wouldn't want it to be and wouldn't expect it to be) but it's also not too hard.

Cheers, SPL Thumbs Up That feedback makes me feel better & better, given my spec! Although it's too late for me to change now anyway, given that my Macan's waiting for me at the OPC! Cool
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
SPL

Post by SPL »

I think this picture illustrates PASM very well. PASM gives higher comfort and higher level of sportiness than standard springs. The standard setup is in the middle and since it is not able to adapt it is a compromise. Saying that the standard springs is simlar to PASM in comfort mode is strange to hear from someone working at PEC.

That saying, the standard suspension on 21" is for sure very good anyway!

Granted, but you could get 18" wheels with PASM that would provide a different ride (I would have to assume) than 21" wheels with PASM.
SPL

Post by SPL »

Glad you found it spot on. For those who are PASM daft Wink do you really think Porsche would make a suspension that is not good with 21" wheels..Confused For me it was no PASM and 21" Wheels - here is why;

Cheers, SPL Thumbs Up That feedback makes me feel better & better, given my spec! Although it's too late for me to change now anyway, given that my Macan's waiting for me at the OPC! Cool

Thumbs Up

No right spec, no wrong spec. All to your own spec. As Ferdinand Porsche said, "I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself". Big smile