21 wheels no PASM?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Thumbs Up No right spec, no wrong spec. All to your own spec. As Ferdinand Porsche said, "I couldn't find the sports car of my dreams, so I built it myself". Big smile

Cheers, SPL Beer And thank you, Ferdinand! Thumbs Up
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018

MOB

Post by MOB »

Well, we took it for a test drive today

And it's fine, only over some terrible surfaces did it really show signs of jitteriness

It's better than the ride on a 4 series with 20" wheels with run flats for reference

Great news, MOB. Thanks for the feedback. I'm buying a Macan on 21"s and no PASM, but haven't test driven a Macan with that spec Embarrassed So pleased to hear from you & others that it's fine! Thumbs Up
Similarly, I'm confident that it will be a better ride than my Evoque on 20"s given the superior engineering of the Porsche.
So are you buying that Macan...??? Ermm
Being collected Saturday Tongue
2018 Macan SD
2012 CLS63 AMG
SPL

Post by SPL »

And it's fine, only over some terrible surfaces did it really show signs of jitteriness

It's better than the ride on a 4 series with 20" wheels with run flats for reference

Great news, MOB. Thanks for the feedback. I'm buying a Macan on 21"s and no PASM, but haven't test driven a Macan with that spec Embarrassed So pleased to hear from you & others that it's fine! Thumbs Up
Similarly, I'm confident that it will be a better ride than my Evoque on 20"s given the superior engineering of the Porsche.

Thumbs Up
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great news! Thumbs Up Don't forget the pics! Wink
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Retired

Post by Retired »

Almost all discussions about wheel size and PASM focus on ride comfort.

PASM is about much more than ride, it's about how the car corners, brakes and accelerates.

PASM together with its integration into sport, sport+ modes makes a big difference to the car.

I recently drove a car on 18" wheels without PASM and the difference from my 20" PASM car was so obvious.

Why this lack of interest in how the car handles?

It's similar in discussions about the GTS, lots of talk about colour, interior trim etc and little about the way the car drives.

Our cars are Porsches. For me it's all about how they perform!
MOB

Post by MOB »

Almost all discussions about wheel size and PASM focus on ride comfort.

PASM is about much more than ride, it's about how the car corners, brakes and accelerates.

PASM together with its integration into sport, sport+ modes makes a big difference to the car.

I recently drove a car on 18" wheels without PASM and the difference from my 20" PASM car was so obvious.

Why this lack of interest in how the car handles?

It's similar in discussions about the GTS, lots of talk about colour, interior trim etc and little about the way the car drives.

Our cars are Porsches. For me it's all about how they perform!

Would agree with you if it was my car...........but its the wife's and she just wants a care that handles well enough for her. Which a Macan on 21"s with steel springs does very well.
When she drives my M5, its all stays in comfort, when I drive it, I have the odd dabble LOL
2018 Macan SD
2012 CLS63 AMG
Mcanny

Post by Mcanny »

Good point...im only getting the GTS because it is perhaps the most driver focused car in the line up and like the way it will drive!

The colour is simply a function of the best colour in the pallet..... only time that colour becomes important in my view is if are you selecting Carmine and omitting SC..... if you are then your nuts.... its supposed to be a drivers car!
www.porsche-code.com/PG7L9Qc5 sold 24th March 2016

GTS ordered 9th November 15, May 16 build, May 24th delivered www.porsche-code.com/PH62SLM5
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I test drove a SD with 21s and standard suspension for a full day, yet had no issues at all over some fairly rough roads. Every other Macan I see has 21s and I would bet most haven't either PASM or air. Have they all got it wrong??

I'd bet a lot more have PASM with 21's than don't to be honest....

I've just had a search through the official Porsche approved used car locator.
Findings are:
56 used Macans of all types, 2.0l to turbo.
13 with 21" wheels
9 with standard suspension
3 with air and PASM
1 with PASM only
Not terribly scientific I know but tells me that most people don't have an issues fitting 21s without air or PASM or are they all for sale because the rides too hard. I doubt that.
My GTS will have PASM as standard but I'm more looking forward to the extra sportiness rather than any great improvement in ride quality on 21s.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Sportback

Post by Sportback »

Or they do have an issue and that is why they are selling. Don't forget many of the cars hitting the SH market were early specced vehicles. People have learned a lot since then!
SB
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2
Retired

Post by Retired »

[
Would agree with you if it was my car...........but its the wife's and she just wants a care that handles well enough for her. Which a Macan on 21"s with steel springs does very well.
When she drives my M5, its all stays in comfort, when I drive it, I have the odd dabble LOL

Understand what you say, but I meant my point to be broader. It's not just this thread but the content of many threads in which contributors seem uninterested in the dynamics of the car preferring to concentrate on the cosmetics.

Clearly there is interest in cosmetics etc. I'm interested in those things. But, as I said, we drive Porsches and I'm surprised there isn't more about the driving experience.