21 wheels no PASM?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Lexi

Post by Lexi »

As a female contributor to this forum I went with 20" on standard suspension no PASM. Extremely comfortable ride no issues with my choice. I also have a golf R and had a mini cooper S before so I know what harsh suspension is. I'm sure the 21" will be a harder ride but uncomfortably hard I doubt it.
GTS - Build Completion date 3rd June - Was stranded in Leipzig - Now at OPC waiting 1 Sept pick up    http://www.porsche-code.com/PHCHDZ33

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I've just had a search through the official Porsche approved used car locator.
Findings are:
56 used Macans of all types, 2.0l to turbo.
13 with 21" wheels
9 with standard suspension
3 with air and PASM
1 with PASM only
Not terribly scientific I know but tells me that most people don't have an issues fitting 21s without air or PASM or are they all for sale because the rides too hard. I doubt that.
My GTS will have PASM as standard but I'm more looking forward to the extra sportiness rather than any great improvement in ride quality on 21s.

Thanks for taking the time to do that, Rab. I'm a little surprised that less than a quarter of Macans surveyed (yes, I know it's a small sample) were specced with 21" wheels...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
goron59

Post by goron59 »

^^ possibly because all the high specced ones have been sold (or kept) and this is just what's left?
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Chris s

Post by Chris s »

9 with standard suspension

That's why they are for sale - the owners realised they had made a mistake and chopped them in !!LOLWink
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ha ha ha!! LOL Hope not!! Confused
Will confirm next Tuesday what the ride's like on 21" Sport Classics with no PASM/Air... Thumbs Up
Simon

SPL

Post by SPL »

[
Would agree with you if it was my car...........but its the wife's and she just wants a care that handles well enough for her. Which a Macan on 21"s with steel springs does very well.
When she drives my M5, its all stays in comfort, when I drive it, I have the odd dabble LOL

Understand what you say, but I meant my point to be broader. It's not just this thread but the content of many threads in which contributors seem uninterested in the dynamics of the car preferring to concentrate on the cosmetics.

Clearly there is interest in cosmetics etc. I'm interested in those things. But, as I said, we drive Porsches and I'm surprised there isn't more about the driving experience.

Hi Retired, I follow your train of thought and agree entirely. But if people felt that strongly about handling we would all spec PASM and PVT and 21" wheels...

I just looked at your spec and see you have no PVT (thinking of handling) and 20" wheels (thinking of handling). Why would you buy the 20" wheels when Porsche say this about the 21" Sport Classics.. "Their low weight helps to reduce unsprung masses, which increases ride comfort and improves agility. Not only do they offer optimum dynamic performance..."?

It's a good debate and I am sure we could be here all night Big smileShockedWink but I hope you can also see where I am coming from.

My view, rightly or wrongly was/is that 21" wheels for the reason Porsche say would (and do) handle with agility and optimum dynamic performance. I don't find I need to adjust my suspension settings as I find all surfaces, speeds etc are perfect with 21" - probably owing to the reasons Porsche stipulate.

Your Turbo is a lovely spec!! Glad to see you went for Sport Chrono - after all, it is a Porsche Wink (see, I catch you drift).Big smile

Thumbs UpCool
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

+1 Thumbs Up
Simon

Spicky

Post by Spicky »

MOB
Got to be honest, I haven't driven another Macan other than mine but really, but even with my spec I find the softest setting firmer than my company Passat, on 17 inch wheels! [mainly the back end feels hard over bumps], I'm sure its down to the tyre size, and also the winter temperatures as mine seems more compliant just lately due to the temperature warming up a bit.
Hope this helps, probably wont
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGEN3JG2
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I've suspected this and said it before and nobody at Porsche that I've asked, including staff at PEC will refute it or offer any hard numbers, but:

"Their low weight helps to reduce additional unsprung masses added with larger wheels, which increases ride comfort and improves agility. Not only do they offer optimum dynamic performance..."?

My emphasis in red.

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to believe the 21" sport classics with summer tyres have lower mass than 19" or 20"s, but if this was really the case, where are the numbers?

What does worry me is that the other 21" wheels make no forged claims, so are probably like granite :)

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
oldcro

Post by oldcro »

The only reason so many go for 21" wheels is because Porsche do not offer 22" wheels