2.0L Petrol Test Drive

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Caster

Post by Caster »

After enquiring about the Macan in Autumn 2013, going to launch in April 2014 followed by a test drive in May 2014 - I'm hopefully getting nearer to getting one!

Thought I'd share the latest part of my saga!

TEST DRIVE INFO Monday 22 Feb 2016 10.00 - 16.30 (Dry, Sunny)

Model PORSCHE MACAN 2.0L PETROL (237 bhp) Colour White

Extras Fitted Used: 21" Alloys,
18-way seat, Rear Camera, PCM
Not Used: Sunroof

Appearance Great from front, good back,
slightly bland from side - overall "Purposeful/Sporty".

Visibility Overall
good - used high position + moved passenger seat back in line with pillar for
better near side view. Headrest slightly
obscures off side view over right shoulder.
Rear view good with camera but took rear headrests off for better view -
only dog in back!.

Seating /Comfort Very good although felt at slight angle - maybe to avoid
left knee/thigh catching on wide centre tunnel.
Foot rest seems a long way away but OK. No problems over 89 mile test drive though.

Performance Good involvement via
Drive/Sport or Paddles and excellent/seam free changes. No
lag on take off for pulling into traffic even when in auto stop. Had to really kick down for overtaking + felt
could do with more torque.

Braking Excellent
initially then more aggressive when needed, felt really stable, no front dip.

Steering Excellent - nicely
weighted, confidence to go at reasonable speed wherever pointed.

Ride Excellent
- perfect mix of handling and comfort.
Suspension (even with 21's) absorbed most road imperfections very nicely
and generally felt really well planted and secure.

Noise Excellent as
hardly any noticed (other than a slight bit of tyre noise at higher speeds) - good
lady even fell asleep for part - very useful!

Infotainment Impressive - many options
of what to view and which display to view on.
Sat Nav fine. DAB, USB/Phone MP3
music good + showed album art OK.

Boot Ideal
size/shape and useful electric open/close.
Plus useful under floor storage.

Fuel Consumption 28.3 mpg - with a mixture of Motorway,
A & B roads + rush hour traffic jam.

Minor Niggles If
have an extra key on key ring it hangs on to right knee. Don't think you can import speed camera POI's
onto Sat Nav. If viewing trip computer
on right pod - speed limit sign obscures part of average mpg reading. Even at loudest setting - indicator on warning
sound slightly hard to hear. Cruise
control stalk works well but just seems like it could have been placed higher
up or controls on wheel etc.

Overall The
specs do look good for the 2.0L but alas, in practice, the actual mpg and
torque effect just left me a little deflated.
Maybe I need to learn how to drive it better or perhaps the new 252 bhp
model will be more suitable for the 2.0L.
However, other aspects such as handling, gearbox, smoothness and quietness
etc did certainly impress and overall the Macan felt like an excellent package
for my needs.

Future Already
arranged to have a longer test in a 3.0L Diesel
than my initial half hour one about two years ago. Forum link for review:- Macan 3.0L Diesel Test Drive

Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D

SPL

Post by SPL »

Yep, Sounds like you need a drive in a Diesel...

28MPG is not good. Diesel is better than that in town.
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
Chris s

Post by Chris s »

I would imagine the MPG is as a result of pushing on, which due to its lower HP you need to do in the 2.0l. if in 'Sporty' mood.

If you drive like Miss Daisy you will probably see higher MPG - but then if you drive like that you may a well buy a Mercedes A Class!!
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Very similar experience to mine in the older 237 bhp 2.0 litre.

Driving Miss Daisy style is very easy in the 2.0 push it and use the gears and it is OK.

The SD you will find so much better, in comfort it does require a hard push to get the systems working, push Sport and it comes to life. Sport is best for make ng progress in everyday driving.

But to really get the most out of an SD you need the SC and then it is a joy to drive, but still lacking 50 bhp.

The petrol S is great but you have to work it to get the best out of it.

Overall as a do it all the SD will take some beating.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Great review Caster! Good that you were impressed overall. Smile Am hoping that the upgrades to the MY17 model will make a positive difference (main ones being power up to 252bhp and new improved PCM/sat nav etc). Also good to hear that you felt the ride was fine on 21"s on standard suspension! Thumbs Up
Did you take any pics at all? You know that we love our pics on here! Wink
To be honest, if I can get around 30mpg overall I'll be happy. Reality check = a 2 tonne vehicle with 252bhp on tap I think that 30 mpg is perfectly acceptable for a petrol engine and the 'official' figures published in the literature are never achieveable in the real world/outside a lab...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great review - you are doing well with your test drives - I had one test drive 1 hour approx Confused

It took me about 2 years to choose my Macan but I think you are even slower - worth the wait though Big smile
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

After you have tested the SD put a deposit down to get you on the list.

You can always chage further down the line and a deposit is fully refundable

The deposit gets you an invite to the PEC at Silverstone, so a search of posts as there has been a lot of posts and comments on our collective experiences there.

You can get the best out of your preferred model or split your time in say an SD and GTS if they can accomodate that which they will do when you ring up to set it up.

It really does help in deciding what you want to include, after my time there wanted SC added to mine and would not order any Macan without it.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
wilko

Post by wilko »

Wink
To be honest, if I can get around 30mpg overall I'll be happy. Reality check = a 2 tonne vehicle with 252bhp on tap I think that 30 mpg is perfectly acceptable for a petrol engine and the 'official' figures published in the literature are never achieveable in the real world/outside a lab...

You'll have to drive like miss daisy to get anything like that overall. I had a 500 mile test drive in a 2.0l, and I mostly drove it at just under 80 on the motorway, on cruise, for 150 miles and averaged 26mpg doing it, and then took it for a bit of 'A' road hooning and got 21mpg, which is roughly what it got around town if I drove it very gently.
The wifes golf, which has roughly the same engine, (golfR), same 4wd system, and much smaller frontal area and weight will just nudge 32mpg on a long motorway run on cruise at just under 80, and gets 23mpg around town.
I would say 24mpg for a 2.0l is about all you can realistically expect overall.
Whichever engine you choose, it uses most of the energy from the fuel pushing it through the air, and getting the weight moving, so the petrols should all be within 1-2mpg overall no matter what engine, as the only difference is the small amount of energy wasted in the larger engines pushing the recipricating masses around.
The diesel should get around 30% more overall as the fuel has 30% more energy in per gallon.

wilko2016-02-23 16:53:43
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ah, ok - thanks, wilko! Nice to have my expectations managed! Wink
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
bompey

Post by bompey »

You'll have to drive like miss daisy to get anything like that overall. I had a 500 mile test drive in a 2.0l, and I mostly drove it at just under 80 on the motorway, on cruise, for 150 miles and averaged 26mpg doing it, and then took it for a bit of 'A' road hooning and got 21mpg, which is roughly what it got around town if I drove it very gently.
The wifes golf, which has roughly the same engine, (golfR), same 4wd system, and much smaller frontal area and weight will just nudge 32mpg on a long motorway run on cruise at just under 80, and gets 23mpg around town.
I would say 24mpg for a 2.0l is about all you can realistically expect overall.
Whichever engine you choose, it uses most of the energy from the fuel pushing it through the air, and getting the weight moving, so the petrols should all be within 1-2mpg overall no matter what engine, as the only difference is the small amount of energy wasted in the larger engines pushing the recipricating masses around.
The diesel should get around 30% more overall as the fuel has 30% more energy in per gallon.

I would say you'd get similar mpg in the turbo. I average between 24 and 28 on a long motorway run and 20+ in town traffic. Heavy town traffic can be lower but normal is ok.
Macan 1 - jet black turbo with 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 2 - volcano grey GTS with black 20" RS spyders now sold
Macan 3 - dolomite silver GTS loving it
also 981 Boxster S