Auto parking brake

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Not sure about this but it appears my parking brake will sometimes activate when I turn off the "ignition" of my SD. At other times I do it myself. Just curious about how and why the car decides to do it automatically some times but not all the time. It's not causing any problem, I am just interested.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Can't say I've noticed...but I think if you are in "P" when you switch off, the parking brake comes on automatically?
Going out later so I'll check!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Parson911

Post by Parson911 »

Mine would activate on the slightest incline.
DougalDC

Post by DougalDC »

(might be related) but if you drive forward to move off, the brake will come off automatically, if you reverse to start moving, it will wait for manual release.

never noticed it activate by itself when parking.
PHJD8AA5 GTS
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Can't say I've noticed...but I think if you are in "P" when you switch off, the parking brake comes on automatically?

In my first week of Macaneering, I've noticed several times that when I move the gearlever to 'P' I still need to manually engage the electronic parking brake...
Am sure my Evoque used to automatically engage the parking brake when Start/stop button was pressed to switch off engine.
Am still getting used to having an ignition 'key' again... Wacko
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Guy

Post by Guy »

Mine doesn't as far as I am aware. I deliberately leave the parking brake off (but selector in 'P') when I know I will be leaving it in the garage for a while. It seems to roll back very slightly and then hold, a bit like a manual car that you leave in gear with the handbrake off.

Guy2016-03-08 19:30:27
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Never noticed this. I quite often don't use the parking brake (when on the flat!)
LVision

Post by LVision »

From the trusty Good to Know App

Engaging the electric parking brake automatically

The electric parking brake engages automatically if PDK selector-lever position D, R or M is selected when the vehicle is stationary and the driver's door is opened. The indicator light on button and the brake warning light in the instrument panel come on.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Tomorrow I will go out for a wee spin and check about which position the gear selector is in when I turn off the engine. Maybe as stated above, this could affect whether or not the brake comes on automatically. I am pretty sure the brake releases automatically when starting off forwards or reverse.
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Also the handbook says the brake should always be applied when the vehicle is parked. Not sure just how important that is though.

LVision that is interesting. The implication here is that the brake will not be applied automatically if the engine is turned off when selector is in P position.

Chilgrove2016-03-08 20:16:43