Auto parking brake

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Guy

Post by Guy »

Also the handbook says the brake should always be applied when the vehicle is parked. Not sure just how important that is though.

LVision that is interesting. The implication here is that the brake will not be applied automatically if the engine is turned off when selector is in P position.

Handbook would say that for H&S/legal reasons! Can't envisage any tech reason for its application - but standing by to be corrected.
And I reaffirm that I do not think the HB is applied when you switch ignition off at 'P' Smile

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

If you are on the flat it is in park and not going to roll away. I often do not apply handbrake - when in my garage for example.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

There are times when you should never apply the parking brake. Eg, when just completing 6 or 7 smoking laps of a medium sized race track :)

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Mcanny

Post by Mcanny »

if I am parking on a flat surface I never engage the parking brake as I always hate the feel of the brakes grabbing when you initially move off either because the brakes were too hot when applied or its been left standing in wet / damp conditions.
www.porsche-code.com/PG7L9Qc5 sold 24th March 2016

GTS ordered 9th November 15, May 16 build, May 24th delivered www.porsche-code.com/PH62SLM5
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

I agree about not using the parking brake when parked on a level surface. Although I don't have a garage, I park at the rear of our house on a level surface and normally prefer to leave the handbrake off but with this new car I have been following the makers' instruction.
If I was parking on the street, on a level surface and with a manual gearbox I would always leave it in neutral but with the handbrake on, just in case the car was rear-ended. Kinder to the gearbox!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

One Porsche service guy said to me, somewhat wryly: If you don't use the parking brake, you won't need to change the pads so often.
SPL

Post by SPL »

Anybody tried the emergency brake yet?

Put on the handbrkae when driving - no I am not kidding. Just don't do it when someone is behind you.

It works great and I have told my wife and kids so if I fall ill at the wheel (or they decide not to come with me Shocked ) they can stop the car.. Big smile
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Yep, and used it on a real road too :)

Note well that it doesn't "put on the handbrake" - it just initiates a full on emergency stop using the regular brakes. It just happens to use the little P brake switch .
goron592016-03-09 17:00:22
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

Just been out for a wee test. Firstly I confirm the parking brake releases automatically when starting to move in either forward or reverse. So we do not ever have to manually release the brake. Wow so that saves us a lot of effort in pressing the little button.
I am now confused about how or when the brake automatically engages when turning off the engine. A few days ago the brake came on automatically although I do not know what position the selector was in when I turned off the engine. Today I could not get the brake to engage automatically no matter which position it was in (although I did not try doing it in the R position).

So there must be some other factor coming into play. But what?

Chilgrove2016-03-09 18:09:38
wilko

Post by wilko »

On my last 6 cars, and the wife's last 3, so >10 years, the parking brakes electronic or otherwise have only ever been on when picked up from a dealer after a service.
Put the box in P. Ignition off, get out, and walk away. They've always been exactly where I left them.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R