Auto parking brake

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
goron59

Post by goron59 »

On my last 6 cars, and the wife's last 3, so >10 years, the parking brakes electronic or otherwise have only ever been on when picked up from a dealer after a service.
Put the box in P. Ignition off, get out, and walk away. They've always been exactly where I left them.

Very American of you!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Anybody tried the emergency brake yet?

Put on the handbrkae when driving - no I am not kidding. Just don't do it when someone is behind you.

It works great and I have told my wife and kids so if I fall ill at the wheel (or they decide not to come with me Shocked ) they can stop the car.. Big smile

One of the things that's nice to try at Silverstone Big smile but on MY car ....... NO.
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I've been driving slush boxes for the last twenty years and hardly ever applied the hand brake, either analogue, or digital as in the current Touareg. Just stick it in park and forget it. I understand that a full auto locks the box and so the wheels when in park. Still not sure even after reading all these replies if a DSG box does anything similar?
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
wilko

Post by wilko »

On my last 6 cars, and the wife's last 3, so >10 years, the parking brakes electronic or otherwise have only ever been on when picked up from a dealer after a service.
Put the box in P. Ignition off, get out, and walk away. They've always been exactly where I left them.

Very American of you!

Hardly. I just have a fairly good understanding of how the gearbox lock on a pdk/DSG gearbox works, in the same way that the pawl on traditional autos worked, and I consider it way more reliable than an electronically, or cable driven parking brake.

Snapped plenty of handbrake cables on manual cars, and had a few electronic park brake failures on our companies rep mobiles.
Not had an auto box park lock fail on any yet.
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
Guy

Post by Guy »

I think you may have missed Goron's very subtle point: That most Americans 'have a fairly good understanding of how the gearbox lock on a pdk/DSG gearbox works' Wink
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

Very American of you!

Hardly. I just have a fairly good understanding of how the gearbox lock on a pdk/DSG gearbox works, in the same way that the pawl on traditional autos worked, and I consider it way more reliable than an electronically, or cable driven parking brake.

Snapped plenty of handbrake cables on manual cars, and had a few electronic park brake failures on our companies rep mobiles.
Not had an auto box park lock fail on any yet.

Thanks Wilko, that's exactly what I was wanting to know. So I'll just forget about the handbrake switch thing again and leave it to P unless I'm parked on some one 1 in 3 hill.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hmmm. I think 'short term' in unfamiliar environments I'd always apply the handbrake - if only to stop the 'roll-back' when releasing the footbrake - it's only a few inches but ...
Paul

Post by Paul »

Hmmm.  I think 'short term' in unfamiliar environments I'd always apply the handbrake - if only to stop the 'roll-back' when releasing the footbrake - it's only a few inches but ...

..and its always those extra few inches that count!
( sorry Guy, a bit gratuitous but had to be done )
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

Hmmm. I think 'short term' in unfamiliar environments I'd always apply the handbrake - if only to stop the 'roll-back' when releasing the footbrake - it's only a few inches but ...

..and its always those extra few inches that count!
( sorry Guy, a bit gratuitous but had to be done )

Thumbs Up Living in Germany I don't know why I even quoted inches - centimetres are so much more impressive!
goron59

Post by goron59 »

- if only to stop the 'roll-back' when releasing the footbrake -

Yea, that's the very American thing. You always see it on US TV shows and film :)

Indicative of a prevalence of automatic gearboxes and a system of driving instruction that pretty much ignores the parking brake, and why they generally call it an "e" brake.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR