Auto parking brake

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Paul

Post by Paul »

Talking of old habits - does this mean you can't open the drivers door to get a better view when reversing?

correct, really annoying binging starts (found out last week when practicing trying on my new snowchains)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465

goron59

Post by goron59 »

And if you undo your seatbelt, it doesn't automatically remove the parking brake, either.

By the way, the normal order is PRND (mandated ordering in the US many moons ago, and it kinda stuck. M is over to the left from D for when you shift manually (although of course, you never really get to shift manually).
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Handbrake only releases automatically when driving off if seat belt is fastened and driver's door is closed.
Handbrake will automatically engage if gearbox is in park, ignition is on and driver's door is opened.

'Good to know' says
<span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;">The electric parking brake engages automatically if PDK selector-lever position </span><span ="pgf_04_copy_text_bold" style="font-weight: bold; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;">D</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;">, </span><span ="pgf_04_copy_text_bold" style="font-weight: bold; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;">R</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;"> or </span><span ="pgf_04_copy_text_bold" style="font-weight: bold; font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;">M</span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;"> is selected when the vehicle is stationary and the driver's door is opened. The indicator light on button </span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;"> and the brake warning light </span><span style="font-family: Arial; font-size: 14px;"> in the instrument panel come on.</span>

I would not expect it to be needed in P, altnough it is unclear exactly what that does (in a conventional automatic if locks the transmission).

Of course, GtK is only currently of MY2016 cars, and AFAICS those sold in the USA at that.  It is possible that the behaviour differs by model (according to GtK, auto stop-start does).

Just edited my post to suit.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGTU3KJ5
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Am I going mad?  Isn't it D, R, P & N (not necessarily in that order) as the positions for the gear selector being Drive, Reverse, Park & Neutral.  What's this M all about...?  Wacko

If you push gear selector to the left it goes into manual.
Manual definitely starts with an M.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Amusingly, when I did my first test drive, I asked what the square symbol was for. He said it's a D and that the typeface was a bit rubbish :)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ah, thanks Andy. Haven't experimented with that feature yet...
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Talking of old habits - does this mean you can't open the drivers door to get a better view when reversing?

This was the way I always reversed (which I thought was fine and pretty foolproof) but "Mr Porsche" does not allow it - you may fall out the car Confused

I am now used to the reversing camera and find it "difficult" in a normal car with no camera.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

If plod caught you doing it, you'd be charged with dangerous driving, probably.
Andy352

Post by Andy352 »

Ah, thanks Andy.  Haven't experimented with that feature yet...

You'll enjoy it when you do!!
Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

So we have three ways to change gear. Fully automatic. Using the paddle shifters on the steering wheel. Using the manual position of the gear selector. Oh well, stops us being bored. (Not that I am likely to be bored with my Porsche!)