Auto parking brake

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Guy

Post by Guy »

Talking of old habits - does this mean you can't open the drivers door to get a better view when reversing?

This was the way I always reversed (which I thought was fine and pretty foolproof) but "Mr Porsche" does not allow it - you may fall out the car Confused

I am now used to the reversing camera and find it "difficult" in a normal car with no camera.

One of my very first car accidents was in reverse, when the open door of my MG Metro Ermm hit a parked car and was nearly wrenched off!

Chilgrove

Post by Chilgrove »

One of my first accidents was also in reverse. 3 speed gearbox on an old Ford van type thing, side valve engine so really refined !
Put it into what I thought was 1st and it shot backwards into a lampost. Vacuum wipers too, none of your posh stuff.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

If you push gear selector to the left it goes into manual.
Manual definitely starts with an M.

Ah, thanks Andy. Haven't experimented with that feature yet...

You'll enjoy it when you do!!

Cheers, Andy! This weekend should present an opportunity! Thumbs Up
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Caster

Post by Caster »

Talking of old habits - does this mean you can't open the drivers door to get a better view when reversing?

correct, really annoying binging starts (found out last week when practicing trying on my new snowchains)

Good news - was in the dealers today dropping a deposit off + asked a salesman who said they often have to open driver's door to reverse into showroom or bays etc. Parking brake does initially activate when you open door if in reverse so all you do is simply press switch to deactivate it!
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
SPL

Post by SPL »

correct, really annoying binging starts (found out last week when practicing trying on my new snowchains)

Good news - was in the dealers today dropping a deposit off + asked a salesman who said they often have to open driver's door to reverse into showroom or bays etc. Parking brake does initially activate when you open door if in reverse so all you do is simply press switch to deactivate it!

Think I have tried that and it didn't work - but will try again - cheers! Thumbs Up
Diesel S Ordered 07/12/2013 - Delivered 29/01/15 - Sold 15/06/16.
New Range Rover Vogue arrived 21/07/16.
http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/shouldnt-swear-land-rover_topic4142.html
RJMooney

Post by RJMooney »

May be a #firstworldproblem but the electronic parking brake on a new shape Boxster works in the opposite sense to the Macan. I have to push the button on the Macan to release the brake (and I find this intuitive) but I have to pull the button for the same effect in the Boxster. Very confusing and leading me to not bother and opt for the lazy American way.
Macan Diesel S; Boxster S; 356 C
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

May be a #firstworldproblem but the electronic parking brake on a new shape Boxster works in the opposite sense to the Macan. I have to push the button on the Macan to release the brake (and I find this intuitive) but I have to pull the button for the same effect in the Boxster. Very confusing and leading me to not bother and opt for the lazy American way.

Porsche appear to do this with various controls which seems strange - perhaps it's because they realise we are intelligent and can deal with change Confused
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

I think on the new 911 the PDK gearbox in manual mode works the opposite way to how it operates on the Macan... Wacko
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
RJMooney

Post by RJMooney »

I imagine Porsche would take design seriously. Commonality reduces expense and ease of use is a cost-free boon. Then we can put this intelligence you mention to better use driving instead of fathoming buttons.
Another example is the cruise control stalk on one of my cars being bottom left, but bottom right on the other. I swipe down to remove cruise, only to find my screen menu has changed instead and I'm still gaining on the car infront...it's no biggie, but it's an avoidable problem.
Hopefully they will sort this out with more forethought for the models to come.
Macan Diesel S; Boxster S; 356 C
adam b

Post by adam b »

Chilgrove wrote: Wed Mar 09, 2016 6:03 pm A few days ago the brake came on automatically although I do not know what position the selector was in when I turned off the engine. Today I could not get the brake to engage automatically no matter which position it was in (although I did not try doing it in the R position).So there must be some other factor coming into play. But what?
Chilgrove2016-03-09 18:09:38
Did you have your door open?
2017 - Macan Turbo, with most of the toys (sold)
2008 - manual 997.1 Turbo (sold)