Which Fuel Octane

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
steve w

Post by steve w »

Guys
SE at Sheffield OPC informed me yesterday that the only fuel they put in Petrol models whether it's was a Boxer or 911 Turbo prior to customer collection is standard unleaded and they run fine on that ,be interesting to know what fuel Petrol S , GTS and Turbo owners are filling up with ,noticed Luke said because he couldn't get 98 Octane on one occasion he filled up with 95 Octane and could not tell any difference makes me wonder what to fill up with,collecting GTS tomorrow which will have been filled up I imagine with standard unleaded I'll see what I think,on next fill up I use super unleaded and see if I can notice any difference in performance etc.
SteveW

LVision

Post by LVision »

Shell V-Power every time, works for me :-)
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

http://www.macanownersclub.co.uk/forum/petrol-mpg_topic2764_page1.html

Prior thread above.

Very interested myself in anyone's long term results in petrol Macan's with my Turbo due in September.

Planning to use only Shell 98, certainly for the first 2-3000 miles.

For those with oil burners my SD has done 3300 miles and all the fuel I have put in has been Shell, and all but one fill has been the Ultimate Diesel (there was not an UD pump at the one Shell station) and my overall mpg has been 33 as near as makes no difference. So hopefully owner number two will reap the benefits of an engine that has been run in well and fuelled.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Nosmo

Post by Nosmo »

On the GTS I intend to use Shell VPower (99 Octane). Although it is 9p a litre more expensive, I believe it appropriate on a 65k + car.

Edited to say - I always fill up our Audi S1 with the same Shell fuel and have never had an issue. I doubt it will increase your MPG but that's another story

Nosmo2016-07-12 21:00:35
Deposit paid 14/12/13 - Picked up on 14/03/15.PF9FZLV2
GTS: PHVVUV96 Picked up on 16/06/16
Cayman GTS on order - due for delivery Nov '18
Paul

Post by Paul »

On the GTS I intend to use Shell VPower (99 Octane). Although it is 9p a litre more expensive, I believe it appropriate on a 65k + car.

Edited to say - I always fill up our Audi S1 with the same Shell fuel and have never had an issue. I doubt it will increase your MPG but that's another story

Snap....I thought the GTS "had" to run on 98 ron?
believe the knock sensors will wind the timing back a bit (I imagine its more complicated that that ) to cope with 95 ron fuel and I think I read somewhere you shouldn't operate at full throttle in this instance?
Having said all this, and to echo Luke, I can't imagine in everyday driving you'll notice the difference, but I will still use the higher octane stuff (anyone else remember 5 star petrol? )
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Portsmouth OPC confirmed they use Shell V-Power. Surprised Porsche don't have a fuel policy for all OPCs. Consumption should be marginally better for the higher octane fuel as more bang per volume.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

The spec. I'm sure calls for 98 ron - super petrol for all petrol models.

Seems strange to me to spend so much money on a Porsche and then fill with the wrong fuel.

It also doesn't surprise me that the dealer will use the cheapest fuel. It is not their £65,000 and they will also benefit from any required repairs.

I generally use Shell V power.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

The spec I'm sure calls for 98 ron - super petrol for all petrol models.

Seems strange to me to spend so much money on a Porsche and then fill with the wrong fuel.

Agreed. On the advice of forum members, I've used solely Shell V-Power. Runs like a dream and good mpg too
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Bramptonmel

Post by Bramptonmel »

I always use premium unleaded but is there really any difference between shell and bp and esso? Never go anywhere else but I treat them as interchangeable. Aren't they?
Sold: 2017 Night Blue Macan Turbo
Sold: 2010 Atlas Grey 997 C4S
Current: Night Blue Macan Turbo PP PHTAL3T4 collected 1March 2017
Ordered build date July 17: 991.2 Targa 4 GTS. PJTHYJP0.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

There is generally no difference between Shell Bp and Esso.

Possibly a different additive but all produced to the same spec.