Which Fuel Octane

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Watching the 5th gear one again, I wonder why they didn't consider the longer term benefits.

What will that Golf do after 20000 of Asda fuel vs V-Power or even the BP Ultimate?

Other questions. The Golf is designed to run optimally at 95 but can adjust for higher. Our v6 petrol Macans are designed for 98 but adjust down to 95.

With my Audi A3 (2.0L, v similar to that Golf) I tried 98, found it to use a bit less fuel, but 95 cost the same even with the economy, so I ended up using 95 most of the time. Every car I've owned since had specified 98 and I've used Shell v-power / nitro.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

My experience on engines that can adjust for octane is that you end up using a bit less fuel for the same performance, on longer runs, when using 98 vs 95.

Given most turbo engined cars have an electronically limited torque peak (nature doesn't produce a perfectly flat torque plateau) you won't get more torque, just use a bit less fuel to achieve it.

Personally, I like to use better quality fuels because of additives and quality control from production through to pump. Something sadly lacking in cheap supermarket fuels.

+1 Thumbs Up
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

What will that Golf do after 20000 of Asda fuel vs V-Power or even the BP Ultimate?

Experience of a lot of people would suggest that the Golf on supermarket fuel would have had garage visits for replacements of Lambda sensors or air mass flow meters at least. Not cheap, and more than wiping out any saving on fuel cost.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Nomad

Post by Nomad »

Fuel does vary in quality, likewise terminals buy in from different sources, there is also a residue of less good elements, which i promise goes to someone. Also depending on the region even the major oil companies may have exactly the he same base product, some will add a proprietary additive thus its marketed with special characteristics.

For example milford haven supplies a geographical area, ditto other refineries, rotterdam and so on.

One reason i went diesel was i can not get 98 in the republic of ireland it does not exist.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

[

One reason i went diesel was i can not get 98 in the republic of ireland it does not exist.

That was also one of my reasons. 98 is not available in many parts of Scotland.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

So Shell V Power gave the Golf an extra 6bhp, but what about the additives they are an important inclusion.

Yes, petrol will more likely all come from the same regional source with just the cocktail of additives placed into the appropriate tanker tank (there is not just one tank in a tanker) depending on where the fuel is going.

If you do not mind being a few bhp down then go cheap and add a £5 bottle of Redex every six months so it can clean the valves, fuelways etc.

There is another 5th Gear review that shows its qualities

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=03nL8Z0dRkI

I'll stick to V Power with the Turbo

Col Lamb2016-07-13 16:34:19
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Tell me about it. Did a road trip in Scotland a few years back and had to plan the route really carefully to ensure I didn't have buy sh*t fuel. Fortunately, I managed ok, even though it was all over the more damp, crinkly and hilly bits.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Tell me about it. Did a road trip in Scotland a few years back and had to plan the route really carefully to ensure I didn't have buy sh*t fuel. Fortunately, I managed ok, even though it was all over the more damp, crinkly and hilly bits.

Never mind good or bad fuel - in some rural parts of Scotland fuel stations can be extremely rare which is poor.
wilko

Post by wilko »

Over the years, I've found VPower, and now VPower nitro to pay for itself in added fuel economy. My 911, and the previous 1 gained around 10% both urban and on a run over tesco 99. I found exactly the same with the wifes golf, which is also is designed to run on 98.

When i did an extended test drive in a macan (2.0lT), I took it to bournmouth for the weekend. (300m round trip)
On the way down, it was a 50/50 mix of petrol left in by the opc, and tesco 99. On the way back it was 75% vpower, and 25% residual mix.
The journey down it averaged 24mpg, and 27mpg on the way back. The traffic conditions were light in both directions, and the cruise was set at 80mph for 95% of each journey.

Engines designed to run on high octane fuels will run more timing advance, and more energy will be extracted from the fuel with less residual heat (energy) going down the exhaust. This is why they produce more power, and if the engine is tuned correctly, better fuel economy.
The fuel does not contain any more energy, but more of the energy is extracted by the engine, with less going down the exhaust as waste heat.

Ethanol content has a large effect on fuel economy, so some benefit could be from lower (no) ethanol content
macan gts (current)
Cayenne (gone)
Macan turbo (stolen))
991.1s (gone)
997.2 (gone)
Golf 8 gti club sport (current)
Golf 7 R (stolen)
Golf 7 R
bilun777

Post by bilun777 »

+1 to all that Wilko.
I run my mark 2 Jaguar on the Top Esso petrol,97 octane?
According to the Jaguar enthusiasts club it is the only one with no ethanol content,and therefore OK for any rubber seals I might have in my fuel system.
Sapphire blue SD,Luxor Beige,Delivered Nov 16.