Vehicle Security - Theft Methods Deployed By Thieves

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
John_M

Post by John_M »

Bazza06 wrote: Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:47 pm I did hear recently that companies are favouring younger IT workers over older more experienced workers in the same field.

The company I work for made redundant two IT guys with 50 years experience between them and replaced with a 20 year old. It hasn’t worked and that person, a contractor, is now leaving.
Companies don't value knowledge and experience - just skills and low wages. In my current project, I have spent more time trying to guide the team than if I had written it all myself, now they got a lot better on second phase, but that was more we got rid of a couple of problems contractors and my role changed to one with more authority in project which allowed me to focus them.

Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

How Criminals Break Into Your Car.jpg

Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Greddyuk

Post by Greddyuk »

I will put a STOPLOCK in the steering wheel. Best visible deterrent and less worry about this.
Gen 1 Macan Turbo in Carrera White
Air, 21” wheels ACC Pano SurCam 18w LEDs PS+, Int Light Pack
Heated Seats and Steering, Spare wheel, SC, Heat&Noise insulated
Ext Leather, Sports+ Bose+TV tuner
Std Turbo exhaust, E&Drive, Sports Design Package
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Greddyuk wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 pm I will put a STOPLOCK in the steering wheel. Best visible deterrent and less worry about this.
It is now the advice that police are giving and probably the best deterrent you can apply as the thieves know that it will take too much time and create unwanted attention trying to breach the device.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

In the Borough of Kensington there were so many Range Rovers being stolen that the local police began stopping every RR in the area and running a PNC check against the driver / registered keeper in a bid to deter thieves targeting the region.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Nothing particularly new in this article but pleased to see that vehicle manufacturers accept the problem exists whereas some years ago they would not tolerate the idea despite me and others experiencing a huge shift in how vehicles were being stolen.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -risk.html
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

AutoExpress report:

Official Government figures show sharp increase in car theft in 2017 amid concern keyless theft is becoming “standard practice”
Car theft rates in England and Wales rose by 56 per cent last year according to the latest data from Office of National Statistics (ONS). Some 89,000 vehicles were stolen in 2017, up from 56,000 the previous year, and the worst year on record since 2012.

The growing issue of keyless theft – where criminals use so-call relay devices to trick cars into thinking the legitimate key is nearby – is thought to be partly responsible for the increase in car thefts.

Jack Cousens, the AA’s head of roads policy said: “Car thieves have clearly shunned the old- fashioned opportunistic tactics of smash and grab. High-tech techniques like relay theft are becoming standard practice for thieves.”

his seems to be backed up by ONS data, which shows almost half of all recorded thefts involved criminals entering vehicles through an unlocked door, up from just 13 per cent in 2006. Incidents involving thieves attempting to force car doors decreased from 31 per cent to 14 per cent in the decade since 2006. Out of the 43 police forces in England and Wales, 41 experienced an increase in car crime.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) says the car crime figures are robust, because: “The CSEW [Crime Survey for England and Wales] increase in vehicle-related theft is supported by police recorded crime figures, which are thought to be fairly well recorded for this crime type. This, the ONS says, suggests: “That the increase seen in police recorded crime reflects a genuine increase in this type of crime.”

Attempted vehicle thefts were also up, rising from 153,000 in 2016 to 196,000 last year, while incidents of items being stolen from cars went up from 796,000 in 2016 to 929,000 last year – a 17 per cent increase. The number of police officers in England and Wales has fallen by 16 per cent since 2009.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Not forgetting that vehicles stolen as a result of a burglary may not be included within these figures as the crime will be recorded as a burglary and not as a stolen vehicle.

The vehicle theft is a consequence of the burglary.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Greddyuk wrote: Fri Apr 27, 2018 10:26 pm I will put a STOPLOCK in the steering wheel. Best visible deterrent and less worry about this.
A Police Officer once told me that the bad guys love these. It gives them all the leverage they need to break the steering lock and can be removed in seconds by cutting through the rim of the steering wheel. Probably the best steering wheel lock is the DiskLok - http://www.disklokuk.co.uk. If the crooks see one of these fitted they'll move on to someone else's car.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Sun Apr 29, 2018 7:53 pm
A Police Officer once told me that the bad guys love these. It gives them all the leverage they need to break the steering lock and can be removed in seconds by cutting through the rim of the steering wheel. Probably the best steering wheel lock is the DiskLok - http://www.disklokuk.co.uk. If the crooks see one of these fitted they'll move on to someone else's car.
I agree. Using a device that surrounds the steering wheel is much harder to breach.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver