Vehicle Security - Theft Methods Deployed By Thieves

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

No they have red Panamera's as taxis in Manchester the power house of the North

So that why WingCo bought his, he is moving north!
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Coley40

Post by Coley40 »

White GTS- collection May 2017
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5M4PW5
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Hmmmmmmm...! Interesting theory!

Let me know how many red Panamera taxis you see 'up North' Col and Coley! Wing Commander2017-05-13 15:06:04
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

OK back on topic with this post.

Seen on another forum a thread about the drive and entry system

This guy drives their Macan with said system to a shopping mall, where he drops his Wife off at the door and then he drives 600 yards away and parks up. He then tries to get his jacket out of the rear of car only to find he cannot open the rear door, he opens the door via the drivers button on the door then he realises that he does he have the key. His Wife has the key in her bag and she is in the Mall.

There is a moral there somewhere
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
John_M

Post by John_M »

OK back on topic with this post.

Seen on another forum a thread about the drive and entry system

This guy drives their Macan with said system to a shopping mall, where he drops his Wife off at the door and then he drives 600 yards away and parks up. He then tries to get his jacket out of the rear of car only to find he cannot open the rear door, he opens the door via the drivers button on the door then he realises that he does he have the key. His Wife has the key in her bag and she is in the Mall.

There is a moral there somewhere

Could be worse - I knew someone who had driven a hundred miles after dropping wife at work to suddenly worry as car needed fuel he hadn't picked his key up and it just started because the wife's key.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

In theory he should be able to continue providing the car isn't turned off. Doing so will require a key in the nearby vicinity to start.

Who, though, wants to leave their car running whilst not being present!

I once investigated the alleged theft of a vehicle. I concluded that it had been genuinely stolen because the driver had not powered the vehicle off using the Stop / Start button and thief was able to drive off in it.

I found the car several streets away. I assumed that the thief had parked up and powered down to come back to it later but then couldn't power up without having the key.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
John_M

Post by John_M »

Who, though, wants to leave their car running whilst not being present!

Such as in a Petrol Station after filling up and they can take a dim view of someone leaving engine running while filling up
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

True, and it's also a favourite hang out for opportunist thieves who know many people leave keys (and often their kids) in the car whilst filling up.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
sukyb

Post by sukyb »

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has there actually been any confirmed keyless Porsche thefts using amplifier and relay?

I've only seen reports and videos of Audi, BMW and Mercedes being stolen.
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

sukyb wrote: Wed Mar 28, 2018 2:13 pm Sorry to resurrect this thread, but has there actually been any confirmed keyless Porsche thefts using amplifier and relay?

I've only seen reports and videos of Audi, BMW and Mercedes being stolen.
I can’t quote any but Porsche are not immune from this type of theft.
This statement within the Entry and Drive option page says it all:

“The Porsche Entry & Drive System uses state of the art technology. However, it cannot be completely ruled out that the key´s wireless encryption code is intercepted and used to open or steal the vehicle”.

Personally I would not specify any keyless option on a vehicle.
Previously owned:
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver