Xenon Vs LED

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sportback

Post by Sportback »

LEDs look better....end of

SB
Macan S Diesel ordered 06/12/2014 - Locked Down 15/12/2015 - Delivered March 2016
http://www.porsche-code.com/PH5EKVU2

mcnallys

Post by mcnallys »

PDLS is amazing, LED is bright, the movement on country roads at higher speeds is very impressive. Loving the junction and auto beam. First time really using it properly on a night run.
2016 Macan GTS - Volcano Grey and a few extras (SOLD)
2020 992s - Crayon and a few extra, extras
2022 Land Rover Defender 110 D300 HSE X-Dynamic Black, 7 seats and a load of extras

992s Code - http://www.porsche-code.com/PLXDLWK3
Jeeves

Post by Jeeves »

You will notice that the only owners who suggest paying more for LED lights are the ones who already have and are in "self justification mode". PTV+ and SC and a few other options fall in the sane bucket
Seriously, just get the xenon's, their output is amazing and you will never ever think I wish I had brighter headlights.
Get the nice luxury leather or maybe a nice sunroof or Active cruise instead.
If LED headlights are better than xenon (which is debatable), it is like going from a 9.8 out of 10 to 9.81. Spend your money on a difference you will notice.

Well, that argument can be applied to just about anything Ermm.

For example:
Macan SD vs Petrol vs Turbo
or
Macan vs Audi Q5 vs BMW X3 vs Jaguar F-Pace

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

There are quite a lot of things that those who have them swear by them and those who don't really don't see the point. This is another. LEDs, SC, heat insulating glass, ventilated seats, PSE to name a few. Perhaps even a Porsche! I am always amazed at the people who express a strong opinion but who (as far as I can tell from the forum) haven't actually experienced the item in question. I have no view on LED vs Xenons as I have never used LED headlights on any car. But some people seem to know better, without needing to have used them!
ldn2016

Post by ldn2016 »

I would loose a cosmetic option and get the LEDs. They light up quite a wider area, what people don't realise is that the led headlight has 3 lenses vs 1 for xenons. Plus led sidelights vs halogen sidelights for the xenons option.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Someone did post one other point that I hadn't really considered. LEDs will last as long as the car and never need the bulb changing. A while back there was some publicity about the cost of changing Xenon bulbs in some cars. I have Xenons in an 11 yr old car that have never been changed. Have I just been lucky? Have others had to change Xenon bulbs? And does anyone know what it costs to change a Macan Xenon bulb?
wizard

Post by wizard »

Bulbs are approx £150 each plus VAT :)

Someone did post one other point that I hadn't really considered. LEDs will last as long as the car and never need the bulb changing. A while back there was some publicity about the cost of changing Xenon bulbs in some cars. I have Xenons in an 11 yr old car that have never been changed. Have I just been lucky? Have others had to change Xenon bulbs? And does anyone know what it costs to change a Macan Xenon bulb?
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Is that fitted? Or is fitting extra?
wizard

Post by wizard »

Fitting would be extra, estimate 30 mins per bulb.

Is that fitted? Or is fitting extra?
Delivered May 2015

http://www.porsche-code.com/PF14VLL5
VanB

Post by VanB »

Nobody needs LED over Xenon bulbs but if it's what floats your boat then why not? I have ordered them for mine because of the whiter light, wider beam and the lighting up of junctions coupled with dynamic function which is a huge help on the country roads around where I live. Plus, as I am over 50 I am sure the whiter hue will be easier on my ageing eyes at night. I didn't think, as options go on a Porsche, it was too expensive and worth trying. So, having never tried them, I have no idea whether they are worth the money but will find out in the ext coupe of months whether my bet to order them was the right one!

That being said I am also a bit of a gadget man and novelty appeals to me. Ho hum!
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate