My Macan story has a sad ending

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bramptonmel

Post by Bramptonmel »

Just as a reminder, I picked up a new Macan Turbo in September - 21" wheels, air suspension.

After ordering it, I went to the PEC in May and drove a Turbo with air around the track. I had a great time but I did feel pretty whacked that evening and for a few days afterwards - so much so that I thought I might have given myself a bit of whiplash with some of my more extravagant emergency brakes. I let my husband have most of the second half of the session because of it. It took a day or two to feel back to normal.

Picked up my Macan early September, and only used it lightly for the first fortnight - shortish runs around the place as I was working close to home.

A fortnight after picking up the car, I drove my daughter and a packed car up to university about 3.5 hours away. I felt a bit lightheaded when we arrived. We unpacked her, had lunch, said goodbye and went to stay the night in a good hotel about half an hour away as we had a dinner with some friends that night. Got to the hotel about 5 whereupon I announced that I didn't feel great and went to bed and slept for two hours.

Drove back the next day and don't remember if I had any problems with that.

Then I again had a few weeks of working close to home so driving only about 30 minutes at a go. I did have to do one 1.5 hour trip (each way so 3 hours) and when I came back I started a thread here asking if my Macan Turbo could be making me travel sick and what I could do about it. You advised me to play with all the various ride heights/PASM settings etc to see if that helped. I've been doing that.

The week before last I was working in a town 2 hours away, so 4 hours motorway driving per day on Mon - Thurs. On Tuesday I felt a bit lightheaded at work. On Wed I felt wierdly lightheaded, especially when I was moving, and in fact I had a spectacular fall at Beaconsfield Services when I failed to negotiate some steps and really smashed up my knee. On Thursday I had to hold onto a door threshold and lower myself to the floor because I thought I was going to collapse as the whole world was swooping around me. At that point I realised I was having my first ever vertigo attack.

The vertigo lasted from Wednesday until Wednesday a couple of days ago i.e. a full week. I spent all weekend in bed with everything swooshing around me. I felt it was subsiding by Sunday night. I was working in London this week, and so going in and out by train which was OK (although I spent the night in London on Monday because I felt I needed to stay still and not travel). By Thursday I was absolutely back to normal.

Last night I came back from work and got into the macan to do a 15 minute trip down the road and back. This morning I have vertigo again.

I don't think I can ignore any longer that it is the Macan that is causing my problems. I can't believe it. I have handed my keys over to my husband and told him to enjoy it. I am left with his Range Rover Cry. It isn't tenable to have a car in the household which I can neither drive nor be a passenger in without crippling myself, though. I still have an order in for a Turbo PP - I guess I will order one without air suspension and keep my fingers crossed that does the trick. Otherwise... I don't know.

I'm SO upset. I love that car. It is a fantastic machine. But it really is making me sick.

Sold: 2017 Night Blue Macan Turbo
Sold: 2010 Atlas Grey 997 C4S
Current: Night Blue Macan Turbo PP PHTAL3T4 collected 1March 2017
Ordered build date July 17: 991.2 Targa 4 GTS. PJTHYJP0.

Paul

Post by Paul »

That's so dissapointing Mel,
Keep the PP order on but see if the dealership willl lend you a non air Macan for a long weekend (any engine will do as its the suspension you need to test) At least then you'll determine whether it's air suspension or Macan in general that has this effect on you.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Mel

I feel for you, it must be so disheartening

How about going to your OPC and borrowing any Macan they have without AS for a weekend?

The reason I suggest it is that it may also me that something in the car is triggering it, I certainly suffer with Autoglym cleaning products if any are used inside the cars I am in. I have avoided any internal detailing being done to my new Turbo to ensure that there is minimal internal chemical fumes or residue.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

That's so dissapointing Mel,
Keep the PP order on but see if the dealership willl lend you a non air Macan for a long weekend (any engine will do as its the suspension you need to test) At least then you'll determine whether it's air suspension or Macan in general that has this effect on you.

Great minds think alike Big smile
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Bramptonmel

Post by Bramptonmel »

Yes that's a good idea, thanks you two. I'll give my guy a ring and see if he can set that up.
It could be fumes I suppose but the fact that the PEC car also made me feel weird makes me suspect its the suspension. I won't know until I try one without air though, I guess.

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Does seem strange. I could understand if your other car was a saloon or sports car. You would think the Range Rover would cause a similar problem.

I suggest you try a 911 or even a Panamera Big smile
Bramptonmel

Post by Bramptonmel »

I swapped in my 997 4S for this car - drove it for 3.5 years with no problems! Maybe that's the answer, order a 911 instead...
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I swapped in my 997 4S for this car - drove it for 3.5 years with no problems! Maybe that's the answer, order a 911 instead...

Best "excuse" I've heard for a while Big smile

Get a new 4S - problem solved Thumbs Up
Bramptonmel

Post by Bramptonmel »

I reckon I can spec a base 911 in 2 pages rather than 83 like wingco😜

Here's my first attempt. What do you think?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHRY8WK3
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

That's a very difficult story Mel and I do hope you discover the cause. I had car sickness on my PEC day which eventually developed into migraine attacks which I hadn't had for 40 years. Wasn't the Macan though as we were driving a Honda to/from and have had no problems with Macan steel spring suspension since. Does sound "fume" related though (lightheadedness)even though circumstantially unlikely and interesting to see how you get on in the Rangie. Best of luck.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16