Looking after your Macan Battery - tricklecharger

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Monty2

Post by Monty2 »

Hi, plenty of ice on the car this morning making me glad I bought that Porsche charge o mat a few years ago. I originally bought it to keep my garage queen 997 Turbo battery in tip top condition, it then did the same for my Cayman S. When I had a 986 Boxster S as a commuter car and it let me down due to leaving the glovebox slightly open for a few days and the battery not turning over the engine, it was tag teamed with the Porsche charge o mat with the garage queen. As the new Macan GTS has not been out and about on the mucky roads since we got it home from the dealership (why would I when we have an 04 RR workhorse for the cruddy stuff) I thought I'd better dust off the trickle charger for the Macan plugging it into the cigar lighter in the centre console "hole" as with previous Porsche there was no charge going in however quickly solved by plugging into the socket within the armrest, lock the car and it conditions the battery in the background ready for some decent weather. The trickle chargers have moved on but I've had 8 years use out of the original Porsche charge o mat (was made by Ctek as they probably are now). Well worth considering if your parking up your Macan for lengthy periods.

Paul
Macan GTS Close to Estoril Blue

Left the family white Macan SD, Cayenne S D V8 Meteor

JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I've got the CTEK equivalents running on 2 of my cars and they're absolutely brilliant. Thumbs Up
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Yup, looking at the CTEK 5.0 for our car, as when we get the indoor car park, theres a charger in there and someone else uses a CTEK 5.0 for a mercedes!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Just need to remember to unplug it before driving off.... Embarrassed
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)
Tall Phil

Post by Tall Phil »

Where do you route the charger power cable coming out of the car?
GTS \o/ - sold :(
Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

I use the CTEK 5.0 all the time, plugged into the boot socket and with the CTEK 56-304 Comfort Connect Extension Cable, 2.5 m, fed out through the right rear door to the charger. No sign of damage/indentation to the door seal.
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

How long do you need to leave a Macan unused to make it worth while connecting a trickle charger?

My Cayenne diesel was the first car I owned with stop-start so I bought a CTEK 5.0 thinking I would need to keep the battery topped up. I kept the Cayenne for two years and I've owned my Macan SD for just under 18 months and the battery charger is still in its original packaging. On two occasions, I've left the Macan for over three weeks and it has then started first time. Maybe after a few years as the battery performance deteriorates it might pay to put the car on charge when I'm away on holiday but no problems so far (he says tempting fate).
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

By coincidence, our Macan has been parked for nearly 3 weeks over the Christmas period and only this morning went to get in to go to work! Firstly, no boot light when I opened the boot! Then 'warning, battery low drive for an extended period' message as I started car. So I did! All fine this afternoon but have just put it on CTEK from my Cayman to 'juice' it up. Moral-drive in winter within 3 weeks or charge it up!!!
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

Excuse my ignorance but why do you need this? Are you expecting a flat battery?
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Excuse my ignorance but why do you need this? Are you expecting a flat battery?

Because simply:

The car battery was low this morning after a period of being parked for 3 weeks in freezing conditions.
The drive to and from work was not sufficiently long enough to re-charge the battery fully.
The CTEK not only recharges the battery fully but conditions it as it does so resulting in extended battery life.
Look after your battery and it lasts a long time!