Looking after your Macan Battery - tricklecharger

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

Ok so you have me thinking on this battery charging / conditioning.

I swap between my cars and sometime not in use for 3-4 weeks at a time. Also some of the driving is short runs 2-3 times a day doing 10 miles each time.
Sounds like i am the ideal person for one of these but to be honest i have absolutely no idea so some advise / guidance from anyone would be very welcome.

I have not had any issues with any of my cars starting or batteries but not had the Macan that long and not sure if the battery will suffer based on the driving style / time car is left for?
From what i see i can just plug one end into the mains and the other into the cigarette lighter. How often would i use this. I know its a how long is a piece of string questions but some generalisation would be very useful and greatly appreciated.

So many variables: The age of the battery, the time of year,
temperature, type of use (daytime or night driving), short or long
journeys, use of stop/start, equipment levels etc. The list goes on...

These
are battery conditioners, so in theory, using one regularly should
extend the life of the battery, but by how much is anyone's guess. I
tend to have the car connected to the conditioner whenever I'm not using
it for longer than about a week.
Dolomite Silver Macan GTS Gen 2 (www.porsche-code.com/PLBT3XT5)
Rhodium Silver Macan GTS (sold)

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Ok so you have me thinking on this battery charging / conditioning.

I swap between my cars and sometime not in use for 3-4 weeks at a time. Also some of the driving is short runs 2-3 times a day doing 10 miles each time.
Sounds like i am the ideal person for one of these but to be honest i have absolutely no idea so some advise / guidance from anyone would be very welcome.

I have not had any issues with any of my cars starting or batteries but not had the Macan that long and not sure if the battery will suffer based on the driving style / time car is left for?
From what i see i can just plug one end into the mains and the other into the cigarette lighter. How often would i use this. I know its a how long is a piece of string questions but some generalisation would be very useful and greatly appreciated.

So many variables: The age of the battery, the time of year,
temperature, type of use (daytime or night driving), short or long
journeys, use of stop/start, equipment levels etc. The list goes on...

These
are battery conditioners, so in theory, using one regularly should
extend the life of the battery, but by how much is anyone's guess. I
tend to have the car connected to the conditioner whenever I'm not using
it for longer than about a week.

Kasfranks99 - it's so easy, as long as you can get a 3 pin socket near your car. I leave the mains cable trailing through the boot door and lock the car. Plug the CTEK into the boot 12v socket, switch ign on to power up the 12v sockets and let it do its thing overnight or for weeks on end. Best to unplug any stuff you have into the other 12v sockets as they stay live and your gadgets will be on. Obv buy the 12v socket adaptor with the CTEK.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
MCDK

Post by MCDK »

You have to leave the ignition switched on for it to work??? That doesn't sound ideal.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

You should not leave the ignition on!! The CTEK will remain powered in some 12v sockets with car all locked up. I use the one in the centre console and that works constantly.
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

You have to leave the ignition switched on for it to work??? That doesn't sound ideal.

That's why it's best to use the Comfort Connect cable straight to the batter terminals.
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

I believe the the 12v sockets are designed to power down after 20mins or so just incase you leave a heavy drain connected which could flatten the battery. However, the CTEK certainly works perfectly in the centre console 12v socket-maybe because it is charging rather than discharging. I believe somebody mentioned that this is not the case with the cigarette lighter socket? Or, as mentioned you can purchase the connector that goes straight to the battery. Either way - the ignition does not need to be left on.B737NGWS2017-01-04 20:24:42
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Thanks guys. This has given me something to think about. Certainly CTEK is a great brand. Can anyone advise a particular model that would suit the Macan?
I don't mind spending a bit more if I get any additional benefits.
I plan to connect it to the boot 12v.
GTS 😀
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

Thanks guys. This has given me something to think about. Certainly CTEK is a great brand. Can anyone advise a particular model that would suit the Macan?

I have had the CTEK MXS 5.0 for a couple if years now and it has worked perfectly on Cayman and Macan.
JohnP

Post by JohnP »

I have had the CTEK MXS 5.0 for a couple if years now and it has worked perfectly on Cayman and Macan.

+1 MXS5 should be fine. Thumbs Up
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

As extras, I bought the rubber cradle to guard against knocks and bumps and the 12v/cig comfort connector which then plugs into 12v socket.