Looking after your Macan Battery - tricklecharger

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

You have to leave the ignition switched on for it to work??? That doesn't sound ideal.

Mea Culpa, I should have added 'and then off', not sure anyone would leave ign on for weeks on end.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16

Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Thanks for info again.

All very helpful as always. I will get the comfort connector 12v. Assume its a thin cable and can close doors and lock car while it charges?

Or will i crush the cable....Confused

GTS 😀
B737NGWS

Post by B737NGWS »

The cables on the CTEK and the 12v socket connector are all thin wires so there should be no problem closing and locking the car around these cables. They also sell an extender cable depending on your set-up. As our cars are outside, I personally leave the CTEK in the car visible through the windscreen and then run my thicker mains power cable through a slightly cracked-open window. Not ideal but I then tape and seal any slight gaps if I am charging the cars and throw a cover over them whilst charging.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

The cables on the CTEK and the 12v socket connector are all thin wires so there should be no problem closing and locking the car around these cables. They also sell an extender cable depending on your set-up. As our cars are outside, I personally leave the CTEK in the car visible through the windscreen and then run my thicker mains power cable through a slightly cracked-open window. Not ideal but I then tape and seal any slight gaps if I am charging the cars and throw a cover over them whilst charging.

Thanks Thumbs Up

I am garaged but will have a look and play around once i get it....

Thanks again.
Sure my wife will tell me i am mad buying another Car related gadget.... Embarrassed
GTS 😀
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

The Macan is getting regular use so we haven't bothered but I do use a Ctek charger on the 911 as it is often left for 2 weeks or more at a time. Don't always remember to plug it in tho.. This thread has reminded me so I'm off to the garage now
Significantly prolongs the life of any battery

The second paragraph above started me thinking. What is the life of a battery these days? The last time I had one fail on me was in 1978 on a Ford Granada.

As you'll see from my earlier post, I've got a CTEK MXS5.0 so I'm not doubting the wisdom of battery chargers, just wondering how long batteries last these days.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

The Macan is getting regular use so we haven't bothered but I do use a Ctek charger on the 911 as it is often left for 2 weeks or more at a time. Don't always remember to plug it in tho.. This thread has reminded me so I'm off to the garage now
Significantly prolongs the life of any battery

The second paragraph above started me thinking. What is the life of a battery these days? The last time I had one fail on me was in 1978 on a Ford Granada.

As you'll see from my earlier post, I've got a CTEK MXS5.0 so I'm not doubting the wisdom of battery chargers, just wondering how long batteries last these days.

The ones in my sons 9yr old Mini and C Max are original and fine, neither car has been pampered.

Bigboyrolo2017-01-05 17:26:21
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

About five years, after that you're on borrowed time. Although many will last longer than that the time you most need it, in the depths of winter, one cold morning is when it will give up.

But battery life depends on many things. Regular short journeys, especially in winter, when it doesn't get fully charged will shorten its life. A fortnightly long run will help, as will a battery conditioner.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Agree with Nick.
There is so much more dependency on the battery in modern vehicles it makes sense to maintain the battery to avoid the inconvenience of them unexpectedly dieing. Not so easy to get into, let alone bump start these days
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Even though I have never experienced any issues and this is really aimed at people like me that leave cars for weeks on end and not drive them and do short runs I appreciate what they do and why they are used.
Also battery technology generally has not changed that much over the years but the demands the newer cars are requiring because of basically being online etc will no doubt give people like me an issue.

For £60 ish it's a no brainier for me. Superb reviews everywhere.

My good old Nokia mobile battery lasted many days on end. My super high spec iphone doesn't make it through the day.
GTS 😀
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

My Boxster battery failed after about 5 years. The more you use (car) batteries, the better.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8