Looking after your Macan Battery - tricklecharger

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

The Macan is getting regular use so we haven't bothered but I do use a Ctek charger on the 911 as it is often left for 2 weeks or more at a time. Don't always remember to plug it in tho.. This thread has reminded me so I'm off to the garage now
Significantly prolongs the life of any battery
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)

Deleted User 887

Post by Deleted User 887 »

I keep my battery trickle charged with the CTEK 5.0 as most weeks only go out a couple of times, mostly short 12 mile round trips. Also had the 'warning, battery low drive for an extended period' message as I started car back in October, just after the clocks went back. So keeping the battery topped up very handy if not covering many miles, especially in the winter.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Limited options when parking on London streets so have to either hope for the best or find excuses to go for long drives regularly!
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Limited options when parking on London streets so have to either hope for the best or find excuses to go for long drives regularly!

Never felt the need to have indoor parking with a 5 year old TT. But with a brand spanking new Macan GTS, its getting tucked up in bed and plugged in!
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc
Bazza06

Post by Bazza06 »

If I lived in London again I don't think I'd have an expensive car unless I had secure parking. I see valuable cars parked nose to tail and many a time have seen other drivers squeezing into spaces and nudging the vehicles.

One day I stood and watched a woman in Hampstead trying to park her car and nudging the RR she was trying to park in front of. Absolutely useless at parking and not a care in the world for the other vehicle.
Previously owned:
2022 Macan GTS Gentian Blue
Macan SD - Volcano Grey
Boxster S - Polar Silver
subaxtreme

Post by subaxtreme »

Have a look under the floor in the boot-that battery is HUGE. I think Porsche (Audi actually) have thought of most battery issues.
Stephen
Cayenne S Diesel
Sold: Macan SD
davewf

Post by davewf »

Its interesting watching the voltage as you drive, I was convinced the alternator was not charging but realised it was only charging when I was braking when voltage jumped up top 14V.

I guess if the battery is looking low it will kick in all the time.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

If I lived in London again I don't think I'd have an expensive car unless I had secure parking. I see valuable cars parked nose to tail and many a time have seen other drivers squeezing into spaces and nudging the vehicles.

One day I stood and watched a woman in Hampstead trying to park her car and nudging the RR she was trying to park in front of. Absolutely useless at parking and not a care in the world for the other vehicle.

I've found that you simply have to be a little less paranoid or you couldn't enjoy the car. I can relate to people on this forum talking about driving in and out of car parks for fear of damage, but London is a crowded city where often you don't have that luxury. I try and be pragmatic and remind myself at the end of the day, it's just a car and most scuffs & scrapes can be remedied. This makes it easier for me to just make the most of driving and enjoying it.
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Ok so you have me thinking on this battery charging / conditioning.

I swap between my cars and sometime not in use for 3-4 weeks at a time. Also some of the driving is short runs 2-3 times a day doing 10 miles each time.
Sounds like i am the ideal person for one of these but to be honest i have absolutely no idea so some advise / guidance from anyone would be very welcome.

I have not had any issues with any of my cars starting or batteries but not had the Macan that long and not sure if the battery will suffer based on the driving style / time car is left for?
From what i see i can just plug one end into the mains and the other into the cigarette lighter. How often would i use this. I know its a how long is a piece of string questions but some generalisation would be very useful and greatly appreciated.

GTS 😀
EviL Ras

Post by EviL Ras »

Can you see the battery voltage on the connect app? I cant see it on mine, but might be missing it. that'd be great to see when it needs plugging in instead of leaving it permanently on charge.
Carmine and Partial Garnet GTS Delivered Jan 17' www.porsche-code.com/PHE2IGH7
Our collection video - https://youtu.be/B-HvzRYztqc