Make of Tyre on your Macan

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

I picked this article up in March. Hope it helps.......Porsche's new Macan SUV will be fitted as original equipment with three ranges of Michelin tyres. These were developed over two and a half years to complement the balanced and high-performance handling characteristics of the car, and equip it for driving in a variety of weather and road conditions around the world.

Commenting on their decision to fit the Macan with Michelin tyres, Michael Haupt, Lead Engineer at Porsche AGsaid: 'We set very high standards for our OE suppliers and our design team has worked very closely with Michelin's engineers and test drivers to ensure the performance of the tyres matched our high expectations for the Macan. Michelin was the first manufacturer to have its tyres homologated for the Macan, and at this moment is the only tyre manufacturer to have every type of tyre validated for the car. This is testament to the quality of the company's products and highlights the importance it places on research and development'.

The new MICHELIN Latitude Sport 3 is the latest generation of on-road SUV tyres in the Michelin range. The design of the new tyre conveys an image of power and control and met the requirements of Porsche's designers and engineers by delivering optimal safety and handling, reducing rolling resistance to improve fuel efficiency and increasing longevity.

For winter driving, the MICHELIN Latitude Alpin 2 has been developed for high-performance SUVs, the MICHELIN Latitude Alpin offers enhanced mobility, control and handling year after year, whatever the winter driving conditions. Combined with the Macan's sophisticated drive-train this tyre endows the car with true all-weather capability.

The MICHELIN Latitude Tour HP is an all-season tyre that ensures safety, good handling characteristics and comfort. This tyre will be fitted as original equipment to cars marketed in certain regions, such as the United States, and can be ordered as an optional fitment elsewhere.

All three tyre ranges reflect the MICHELIN Total Performance strategy, where innovation and cutting-edge technology are deployed to enhance safety, longevity, fuel savings and driving enjoyment without compromising any other areas of performance.

Certified MICHELIN Latitude Sport 3 tyre sizes

Front Rear
235/60 R18 103W N0 255/55 R18 105W N0
265/45 R20 104Y N0 295/40 R20 106Y N0
265/40 R21 101Y N0 295/35 R21 103Y N0
The 235/55 R 19 101Y N0 and 255/50 R 19 103Y N0 Latitude Sport 3 will be available from June 2014.

Certified MICHELIN Latitude Alpin 2 tyre sizes

Front Rear
265/45 R20 104V N0 295/40 R20 106V N0

Certified MICHELIN Latitude Tour HP tyre sizes

Front Rear
235/60 R18 103V N0 255/55 R18 105V N0
235/55 R19 101V N0 255/50 R19 103V N0
265/45 R20 104V N0 295/40 R20 106V N0

Read more at http://www.rushlane.com/porsche-macan-suv-to-drive-on-michelin-tyres-12109395.html#tMpO6afgh6uvKOCe.99EnglishGent2014-05-22 06:23:19

PhilK

Post by PhilK »

Englishgent..... many thanks for this. This bears out my original post re Michelin doing the tyres for the Macan. However, we already have a split between Continental and Michelin on the poll which is why I raised the question in the first place.
Porsche Macan Diesel S
EnglishGent

Post by EnglishGent »

Hi PhilK. You probably noticed the latitude sport three on 19s are not available until June. Probably why they are fitting other makes.
David B

Post by David B »

How do you tell if it's an all season tyre.... here's a picture of my 19" Continental.
Philk - they will be marked "M+S" i.e. Mud and Snow somewhere on the sidewall I think
Macan S sold; Turbo cancelled. Boxster Spyder - collected 20.05.2016
Gefrin

Post by Gefrin »

I have Michelins on my 18" wheels. They are excellent and work well with the PASM in all settings. I have been pleasantly surprised with the reduced road noise compared to the Pirellis on my Cayenne.

A sizeable proportion of my Macan usage to date has been driving on very narrow roads and unmade tracks, not 'off-roading', with the nearside wheels running along rough road edges. So far the tyres are taking the pain and to date there has been no damage to the wheels. I wonder if this will be case with the 20" wheels I have specified for my July 2014 build?

LGL

Post by LGL »

How do you tell if it's an all season tyre.... here's a picture of my 19" Continental.
Philk - they will be marked "M+S" i.e. Mud and Snow somewhere on the sidewall I think

I am fairly certain that "M+S" standing for mud and snow are winter tyres which are totally different to "all season" tyres. To find out whether you have all season or sport, you just google what it says on your tyres and you will find out fairly quickly
LGL

Post by LGL »

I'm hoping mine will be on Michelins!

Mine are Michelins........but I opted for the sports tyres. I think the continentals may be the all season tyres??

I have googled it for you and it is a SUMMER tyre not an ALL SEASON TYRE
David B

Post by David B »

I am fairly certain that "M+S" standing for mud and snow are winter tyres which are totally different to "all season" tyres. To find out whether you have all season or sport, you just google what it says on your tyres and you will find out fairly quickly

I am now confused! I thought "proper" winter tyres had a snowflake symbol on them? My wife's 4x4 has M+S rated tyres, and they're on all year round!
Macan S sold; Turbo cancelled. Boxster Spyder - collected 20.05.2016
1 SHV

Post by 1 SHV »

We have Michelin Latitude with M + S (Made in Hungary)
We opted for the 'All Season' option
macanjack

Post by macanjack »

I didn't know M&S made tyres!