First 5000km in my Macan S Diesel

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

My first 5000 km in my new Macan SD, short summary:

I am living on a little but very steep mountain in Austria, AWD is essential for me in winter. Additional about 5 times in winter I need to use snow chains. Most car owners in our neighbourship use those chains. They are mounted and unmounted in seconds. The strength of the diesel engine in combination with the pdk and offroad mode is just perfect to get up the hill in snowy winter.

I am using my Macan to get to work, bring my 3 children to school make business trips (my first Macan trip was going to Stuttgart, basically "home" for my car :-) ).

For this task, the Macan Diesel is the perfect car. It makes so much fun to drive the twisting roads in the mountain.

Speed and strength are far enough when you can stand that there might be the one or other Audi, BMW or Mercedes having more power and better acceleration.

I was not sure about the Macan S wheels, but now I just think they look great.

Macan as a family car
For family / vacation trips we use a Seat Alhambra. Macan is definitely too small to be used as a family car with 3 kids. Even if we had only 2 kids, our luggage would just not fit into the boot. The rear seats a too tiny for 3 child seats.

Park sensor speakers
... they rattle and clatter. Already told Porsche Center, they will have to fix it next time I go there. Also I think the sensors are reacting too slow. The ones of my old Skoda Oktavia worked far better.

Rusty wheels
Two days ago I observed that my wheels start to get rusty:

Water entering boot
when the car is wet and I open the boot, water is entering.

Radar warning
My Macan is equipped with Satnav, but I also wanted to have a radar warining system.
As a Radar warner I use a Tomtom Go 5200. It has a built in mobile card without any fees. Approaching a radar makes it beep and display the distance. This system is legal in Austria, it prevented me already plenty times from getting fined.

I found a good way to mount it using the standard Tomtom mount in the place were the ashtray can be equipped.

Fuel consumption
It reaches from 7 litres / 100 km when going very slow to 11.5 when having fun. àllover average so far is 8.5 litres / 100 km.

I really love this car. It is so unbelievable beautiful. I really fell in love with the great Porsche design.

Hope that one or the other information was interesting for you.

Have a great time with your Porsches. - think I must have a second one sooner or later.

mschaffl2017-03-02 21:03:35

ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great photos Thumbs Up

Also, great to see the Macan being used in the snow. One of the many reasons I bought the Macan was to drive in the snow however since I have had the Macan there has been very little snow here in Scotland.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Welcome to the forum, mschaffl !

Thanks for the review and I think that you will now be with Porsche for life!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Paul

Post by Paul »

Nice write up and good to hear that you're enjoying the snow (chains link not working?)
Thanks for taking the time to share your pros and cons!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mschaffl

Post by mschaffl »

(chains link not working?)

Thanks for the hint, should work now.
Paul

Post by Paul »

They look very much like the ones I bought last year......

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0064L5LB2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as you say, very easy to fit.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

Wilkommen, mschaffl! Smile

We will also be taking our Macan "home" to Zuffenhausen in April for it's 1st birthday Wink, visiting the Porsche Museum and touring the factory.
Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
JKNHants

Post by JKNHants »

Great write up mschaffl. Hard not to be a convert to such a great all-rounder.
Petrol S delivered Apr 16
boreas7

Post by boreas7 »

mschaffl. Ref Water in the boot when you open the tailgate.

I have reduced the opening height of the tailgate, easy to do, see the owners handbook, and it now opens to a height where I can still easily walk under and I am just under 6' tall.

I opened the tailgate today after an extremely heavy downpour and the water ran off the tailgate onto the floor without entering the boot.

It may worth your time, to reduce the opening height of the tailgate on your car.
Nasher

Post by Nasher »

Your 'rusty wheels' is actually a build up of fallout from your brake discs adhering to the hubs of the discs.

I use Sonax wheel cleaner each time I wash to car to stop this happening.

After 2 and a half years and 16000 miles the hubs and wheels look like new.

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/wheels-and-tyres/sonax-full-effect-wheel-cleaner/prod_1180.html

Petrol S - Sold
Turbo PP - Sold
Next - 718 GT4?