Upgraded Lights

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
rjc23

Post by rjc23 »

Morning all, I have approached Porsche and asked about upgrading my headlights but they have checked and apparently it isn't possible on my Macan. I have seen these on eBay and wondered if anyone has tried: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Macan-HID-XENON-LIGHTS-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-8000K-/252413630281

thanks

Macandriver

Post by Macandriver »

I specced Xenons so haven't used these but would advise against installing these if you car is still under warranty.

Personally, I wouldn't risk it. Xenons or LEDs in the next Macan would be the safest option, although expensive.
Porsche code http://www.porsche-code.com/PHDZWZV6
Petrol S deposit 17 Oct 2015: Lockdown 6 Jun 2016: Collected 14 Oct 2016
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Welcome.

Porsche UK are very fussy about anything and I mean anything being changed or added to their cars that is not Porsche fitment or approved accessory and they will say that the warranty is not valid.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

I keep seeing people say your warranty is void if you change anything, but is that actually true?

Is Porsche really going to deny repairing your exhaust because you changed your lights?

I think some citation is needed otherwise it's all just FUD.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Agreed. The only warranty-related danger is if a future problem could reasonably be related to the non-approved part fitted.

Some non-approved work could have a wider impact. So maybe having the engine tuned or chipped could have wider repercussions than say changing the lights or having the brake calipers painted... Wing Commander2017-03-12 09:46:18
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Retired

Post by Retired »

Several reasons why this is a bad idea:

Warranty on items Porsche can argue are related will be void

Regulations require that xenon equipped cars have headlight washers and automatic leveling, kit won't include these items. Required to minimize dazzle.

Existing headlights have reflectors designed around the halogen bulb, the light source position generates the required beam pattern. The new light source will be in the wrong place for the reflector to work correctly. The beam pattern will be wrong, might fail an MOT and will possibly dazzle other road users.

John_M

Post by John_M »

Regulations require that xenon equipped cars have headlight washers and automatic leveling, kit won't include these items. Required to minimize dazzle.

I thought that headlight washers and automatic levelling was only required if car sold new with xenons and isn't there something about them needing to be > 2000 lumens before they need levelling and washers?
Retired

Post by Retired »

I thought that headlight washers and automatic levelling was only required if car sold new with xenons and isn't there something about them needing to be > 2000 lumens before they need levelling and washers?

You might well be correct.Looked into this a few years back when considering such an upgrade so might not remember all the details.

Don't think I'd want to get into a discussion about the light output, trying to convince someone in authority about the legality or otherwise of my headlights. Might be a bit theoretical given the number of Corsas / Fiestas that drive around with obviously upgraded light. Obvious due to colour and dazzle.

Wonder how insurance companies would react to this modification? Someone could claim they were dazzled and that was a contributory factor to an accident.
Retired

Post by Retired »

Know very littlle about this, but there are LED replacement bulbs available.

Might be a better bet. Would be simpler, don't require high voltages and the associated kit to deliver the voltage. Might possibly be closer to original bulbs in terms of the position of the light source so dazzle possibly less of an issue. Needs research.

Then there's the option of brighter halogen bulbs available from reputable manufacturers. They are noticeably better, have no colour / dazzle issues but do have a shorter life than standard bulbs.
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Morning all, I have approached Porsche and asked about upgrading my headlights but they have checked and apparently it isn't possible on my Macan. I have seen these on eBay and wondered if anyone has tried: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Porsche-Macan-HID-XENON-LIGHTS-CONVERSION-KIT-H7-8000K-/252413630281 thanks

I understand that cars with HID xenon bulbs must have self-levelling suspension. Unless you can fit both (it can be done on some cars) your car will be illegal and should fail an MOT. Do halogen Macans have this?

This a perennial hot topic on the Jaguar XF website, from one member .........

I have done a lot of research in to this topic. He is what you MUST know BEFORE fitting a hid kit:
1.You must have projector headlights. This is to ensure the beam pattern is correct, where reflector headlights will scatter the beam, blinding oncoming traffic.
2. You must have headlight washers and self-levelling headlights if your car was registered in 2010 onwards. Before 2010, this is not required.
3. Bulb temperature must not be higher than 6000k
Providing you follow the above, mot testers can not fail you for having these installed.
This information is sourced by me direct from the dvla.

However, from the VOSA MOT website......

Do HID headlamps require washers / self levellers?

Headlamp washing and levelling systems are a legal requirement for high intensity discharge (HID) lamps with a luminous intensity exceeding 2,000 lumens. But unless the luminous intensity is marked on the lamp, a tester won't be able to tell if these systems are needed.

Bigboyrolo2017-03-12 10:45:27
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16