Driving in Europe

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S

Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Well you say that until I caused a massive tailback by going through that lane but it didn't ping or turn the light green. Red faced, I had to back up annoying the queue of French cars behind me. Reason being the linked credit card had expired!

Quelle horrible, tres embarrasante. Je dois verifier mon carte!

"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Paul

Post by Paul »

red faces all round! (mine's on a DD to a bank account so no hiccups so far......fingers crossed)
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

Well I checked and my card is still valid and not expired, but a warning came up about battery life now the tag is over 3 yrs old, so ordered a new one, just €5. Job done.
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

Just back from a drive to Nice, 1000 miles in total 40+ mpg at a steady 80 mpg most of the time.
What really struck me was the great lane discipline shown by most drivers and their regular use of indicators.
The outside lane was thus left clear for those in a hurry, some of whom didn't seem too bothered about speed limits!
The most beautiful sound encountered was a Panamera Turbo, closely followed by a rather gauche Cobra flooring it away from a peage.
Before anyone gets too excited by the first sentence I should add I was delivering an old Nissan Micra to my son, gave it a thorough service and checked my AA cover carefully before we set off.
Tim92gts2017-05-16 08:30:03
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
DavidR

Post by DavidR »

Paul wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2017 9:11 pm Take two (at least) breathalysers.
You need to have one,  but the sneaky French plod have been known to stop you, make you use it, then have one of their chums stop you again down the road, by which time you don't have one any more.
You can put the tracker thingy in transport  mode (it's an option in the app) so you don't need to keep the fob in the car.

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">You will not get fined for failing to have them in your car, the French introduced the requirement in 2011 but it was almost impossible to buy them in France so the introduction of the fine was postponed a few times and then i<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51;">n January 2013 the French government officially said that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyzer with you (which was to be €11) has been postponed indefinitely.</span> 

Correct it is an offence not carry two, in date kits but the penalty / punishment does not exist....(and never has!)

re headlight direction change, and also good to put the speedo into kph; makes it easier.

I go to France once a month. I have an out-of-date breathalyser but I have not been able to buy any new ones almost since they were first introduced. But when I could get them they were extremely cheap.
GeoffH

Post by GeoffH »

Just back from France via the tunnel. In the high vehicle carriage was a Bentley, a Ferrari, a 911, a Maserati, and my Macan. Seems like we all value our alloys!
http://www.porsche-code.com/PF8MVM34
Dartmoor

Post by Dartmoor »

I now realise that I didn't specify PDLS on my Macan S.

I am going to France anyone have any advice on how to adjust halogen lights?

I have seen some comments that they don't need adjusting is this correct?

Many thanks
Semerka

Post by Semerka »

I am not sure about halogen.

Halogens have to be converted manually, there seems to be a guide in the Good to Know App for iOS: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/good-to ... d578575559 or it could be in your car's manual book too, under Headlights?

The old fashioned Halfords stickers are probably a simpler solution.

It's the Bi-Xenon headlights without dynamic cornering light (PDLS) that do not need conversion as those are the homogeneous type on both sides of the road which prevent dazzling of the oncoming traffic.

This is the start of the chapter in the Good to Know App about conversion of halogen lights:

WhatsApp Image 2018-08-06 at 16.51.15.jpeg

Our stable:
- 992 Carrera T - manual - Ruby Star Neo - Carrera Excl. wheels (2023)
- BMW 240i xDrive (G42) - Portimao Blue - AC Schnitzer tune
ex: 981 Cayman GTS, Macan S Diesl, Macan Turbo, 991.2 Carrera S, 718 Cayman GTS, i30 N, 718 Cayman GTS 4.0
Dartmoor

Post by Dartmoor »

Useful App by the look of it thanks didn't know it existed!
However I cant find any reference to converting halogen lights.

I have seen a number of threads that imply that no adjustment is necessary as lights don't "dip left", not sure I completely understand this advice.

Dealer appears reluctant to give any advice short of bringing the car in and a technician will look at it?