Driving in Europe

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
lookalike

Post by lookalike »

Hi Folks,

It's been a long while since I last took my own car to Europe, but with the arrival of the Macan beckons a roadtrip. Not sure if I'm just more thorough than I used to be, but there seems a lot to consider and I'd appreciate the advice from you more experienced tourers.

I'm going across by ferry and believe I need to set the PCC App to 'Transport Mode' and double-click the lock button when aboard. These combined should avoid Vodafone ringing me in a panic - is this correct? Should I leave the transponder in the car or take it with me?

To convert headlights, thankfully the days of cutting strange shapes from black plastic sheets are over. I have LEDs, so go into multi-function display and select 'Vehicle > Settings > Light/Visibility > Outside Light > L/R Driving > Inverted'. Job done!

I'm not great with mobile technology. I have the Three Data Sim for Google navigation requirements, live traffic and Mi-Fi (the 24GB/24 month one). Does this just work in Europe or do I need to ring them to establish European data roaming stuff? I have all the hotels, stop-offs etc as POIs within the PCM Connect App, so am really keen that this just works reliably. Roaming will be switched off on my iPhone to avoid a big bill.

Useful nos to have to hand...Vodafone Automotive: +44(0)1282 473700....Porsche Assist: 00 33 472 172 573 (or contact through PCC App if it's working).

More generally, I will of course need to inform the Insurance Co.....and there are certain other requirements over and above UK driving. So far I have found:

- GB Sticker, Triangle, First Aid Kit - usual stuff.
- Spare Bulbs. As I don't believe my car has a single light bulb, I guess I can pass on this one.
- A 'NF' approved Breathalyser.
- A Hi-Viz Jacket per occupant.
- Clean Air Stickers if driving in Paris, Lyon or Grenoble - €4.80
- A 'Vignette' if driving on Swiss motorways - CHF 40,-
- Spare spectacles if driving in Switzerland...apparently!

I would really appreciate any comments on the above and of course any additional considerations. Thanks!

Guy

Post by Guy »

All looks good to me, but:
- If in Germany, and visiting most city centres you will need an Umwelt (emissions) sticker.
- Austria has a vignette system for motorways (€8.90 for 10 days) - so do Hungary and Romania but I doubt you are coming this far East!
- Italy has a France-like toll system, but no vignettes.
- Be careful if it's foggy because your car only has a single rear fog-light on the right (sadly this doesn't switch sides when you do the headlight trick)
Ref mobile phone: 'Three' do a 'feel at home' service that will reduce costs. Check the countries here: http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Roaming_and_International/Roaming_Abroad/Destinations
Worth checking if you need a fire extinguisher in some countries, plus also remember to keep the Fluorescent jackets in the cabin rather than the boot! Good luck finding suitable stowage in the Macan - perhaps wear them! Wink
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

All good info - I would buy a French motorway tag if you are using the motorways.

And don't speed in Switzerland!!!

S
2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I know you are going to turn off roaming on your phone, but if you are in the EU the roaming charges are now very low. About 4p/MB so you won't clock up a big bill if you do use it. I think they are being phased out completely soon, so roaming might even be free depending when you go.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Take two (at least) breathalysers.

You need to have one, but the sneaky French plod have been known to stop you, make you use it, then have one of their chums stop you again down the road, by which time you don't have one any more.

You can put the tracker thingy in transport mode (it's an option in the app) so you don't need to keep the fob in the car.

Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
adrian991

Post by adrian991 »

You need to have one, but the sneaky French plod have been known to stop you, make you use it, then have one of their chums stop you again down the road, by which time you don't have one any more.

You can put the tracker thingy in transport mode (it's an option in the app) so you don't need to keep the fob in the car.

You will not get fined for failing to have them in your car, the French introduced the requirement in 2011 but it was almost impossible to buy them in France so the introduction of the fine was postponed a few times and then in January 2013 the French government officially said that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyzer with you (which was to be €11) has been postponed indefinitely.
Paul

Post by Paul »

You need to have one,  but the sneaky French plod have been known to stop you, make you use it, then have one of their chums stop you again down the road, by which time you don't have one any more.

You can put the tracker thingy in transport  mode (it's an option in the app) so you don't need to keep the fob in the car.

<font face="Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">You will not get fined for failing to have them in your car, the French introduced the requirement in 2011 but it was almost impossible to buy them in France so the introduction of the fine was postponed a few times and then i<span style="color: rgb51, 51, 51;">n January 2013 the French government officially said that the introduction of a fine for not having an unused breathalyzer with you (which was to be €11) has been postponed indefinitely.</span> 

Correct it is an offence not carry two, in date kits but the penalty / punishment does not exist....(and never has!)

re headlight direction change, and also good to put the speedo into kph; makes it easier.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Bigboyrolo

Post by Bigboyrolo »

All good info - I would buy a French motorway tag if you are using the motorways.

And don't speed in Switzerland!!!

S

A sanef tag for France, sail through the lh toll both at up to 30kph, easy to obtain , sometimes a reduced price offer from ferry co'y and eurotunnel, all paid via a dd on uk bank.
Speeding in Switzerland a big no-no, unless you are Swiss!
"Every year is getting shorter, never seem to find the time" Pink Floyd.
BMW 2019 440i Convertible
2016 Panny S e-Hybrid Black/Cream sold Apr 19
Macan S VG/Luxor, sold @ 9700 miles March 18
Macan SD Dark Blue/ Pebble, sold @ 16k miles Dec 16
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

+1 on Sanef

You can get one here
https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/subscription
Worth it just to see the french drivers faces when you drive past them in the queue. They think you are nuts because you are foreign and are driving in the wrong queue.

Also, link for clean air stickers
https://www.certificat-air.gouv.fr/en
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Sim_Nugget

Post by Sim_Nugget »

Well you say that until I caused a massive tailback by going through that lane but it didn't ping or turn the light green. Red faced, I had to back up annoying the queue of French cars behind me. Reason being the linked credit card had expired!

2017 Turbo - Night Blue / Expresso
BMW M2