One week on with my SD

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Saffa

Post by Saffa »

One week on with my new Macan and I have to say I absolutely love it. Done circa 350 miles in the first week of ownership.

First the minor negative parts, and this is nitpicking..
  • Can do with more storage space inside. Not a lot of places to put one's phone, keys, wallet, water bottle, glasses etc etc. The centre console doesn't even fit my driving glasses that's how small it is.
  • Wish I specced 19" wheels. The 18" sidewalls look massive. 19" would have just looked that bit more polished. I've seen some on eBay for circa Β£1500 which is very tempting...
  • Concerns in the back of my mind re the DPF filter as it seems to be doing it's regen cycle a lot more than my same engined Touareg (perhaps this is the outcome of the VW Group emissions scandal?)
  • Non matching interior trim still outstanding, should be fixed by next weekend. Annoying that I had to chase my OPC instead of them keeping me up to date.

Now for the positives:
Really like the look of the car. I can't get enough, find myself looking staring every now and again.

When it comes to driving, with 18" wheels and air suspension, I laugh at the deteriorating roads around my area. Uneven road surfaces barely registers, whereas my Touareg used to break my spine over the same terrain.

The acceleration is just so addictive. That Sport button is going to get used a lot. Considering I've had two VW's with exactly the same engine, Porsche has just tuned it differently making it a lot more alive and interesting. I've not really pushed it hard, staying under 3000rpm while I am running it in, but the torque between 2000 and 3000 is addictive.

I used to own a Lexus IS200 which back then was known for their accurate steering/chassis combination. Porsche exceeds that by some margin. Never will a BMW driver convince me theirs are drivers cars, they've not driven a Porsche yet...

Adaptive cruise is definitely worth every penny. Driving on M25 a lot with it's inconstant speed normal cruise is a waste. Adaptive takes the pain away. Although there is that small moment where you see the car in front's brake lights go on and your car is not reacting... and then it reacts just as you're about to intervene.

Standard sound system is more than adequate for my use. I generally only listen to Radio4 and Bose or Burmeister would not have made any difference to how John Humphries sound while grilling a politician.

I can go on and on, but alas got some work to do as well (in order to pay the Macan among other things) ;)

Just again need to say this forum was extremely helpful in drawing up a reasonable spec, pointing me into the right direction re finance and generally keeping me sane while I had to wait for my car.

Can't think of an option I specced that I regret. All worth it.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHEPZN21 delivered May 2017, sold Sept 2019

Sidscott

Post by Sidscott »

Good to hear Saffa, as I'm expecting to pick mine up next week.

I'm concerned now about the DPF filter after reading so much negative stuff on this forum lately.

How do you know when it is doing a regen cycle? I have owned 2.2 Diesel Evoque for the last three years and have never had a problem?
Pete

Post by Pete »

Good to see you're enjoying it. I'm looking at an SD with air on 18s as well (I'd prefer the bigger rims, but there's really not that many cars around in my area for my low-end budget). I was also thinking about picking up a set of larger rims on eBay at a later date. Then again, 18" tires will be cheaper so if I find I'm happy on 18s, I might stick with it.

With regards to storage options, you might have overlooked the storage bins under the front seats. Playing with these in the showroom indicates they'll be big enough for small sundries like sunglasses and phone.
Pete

Post by Pete »

How do you know it's doing a regen? During all my time of driving oil-burners, I've never once noticed a regen cycle happen.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great that you are enjoying your SD - it is a great machine :D

There is not much storage space because in a Porsche you are not allowed any clutter. No drinks / sweets / crisps etc.. Just space for your credit card and comb. :lol: :lol: :lol:

As others asked - how do you know when it's doing a regen?
Saffa

Post by Saffa »

Sidscott wrote: ↑Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am
How do you know when it is doing a regen cycle? I have owned 2.2 Diesel Evoque for the last three years and have never had a problem?
The engine sounds a bit less refined during it's regen cycle, a bit truck like. Also the exhaust tone sounds different. Both very very slight though...
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHEPZN21 delivered May 2017, sold Sept 2019
Paul

Post by Paul »

Glad to hear you're enjoying the new SDπŸ‘ You echo many of my first impressions all that time ago (!) when I collected my first one.
Re the dpf regen; you'll never know when it is, only when it hasn't which is a bit if a pain I know. The dpf filter will load up with soot under normal usage (that's what it's designed to do.) Then, when a certain load % is reached the clever computer will push a bit more fuel through, the exhaust will get a little hotter, the engine note will rise and the soot will be burnt off back to a zero load. If the cycle is interrupted (by stopping the car) it will then wait for the next run to get to temperature and try again. (The cycle may also not operate unless you gave a minimum quantity if fuel in the tank - not sure how much.) You can see how mostly short journeys mean the car never gets to temp and the filter is never hot enough to be purged. In the event that the filter has reached a % load close to maximum, the light will come on and it is a this time that you must carry on driving for the specified time (20 mins from memory) and as importantly at more that 2000 rpm (use manual mode.) If you are covering 10 000 miles per annum and regularly do M-way trips of 30 mins or so, you should never know anything is happeningπŸ‘ My first one did 8000 miles in 8 months without missing a beat.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Saffa wrote: ↑Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:56 am
Sidscott wrote: ↑Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:34 am
The engine sounds a bit less refined during it's regen cycle, a bit truck like. Also the exhaust tone sounds different. Both very very slight though...
I have noticed a different exhaust tone only once. It was quite soon after the software update and I sort of blamed that. I was going past some cyclists quite slowly so hopefully they didn't get covered in soot :)

I suppose ideally it should just "do it's thing" in the background unnoticed which is what I am getting so far :D
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad you are happy with your Macan.

Concur with you re standard wheels plus air, it does give a sublime and comfortable ride.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
happy days

Post by happy days »

Great to hear you're enjoying your SD. We are too, with over 12k on ours since January. The only pain for me with 18" wheels is getting a wheel woollie in between the rim and the caliper!
Macan S D
718 S