Towbar recommendations?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
philmacan

Post by philmacan »

Hi
Has anyone fitted a non Porsche towbar to a Macan that they can recommend?
I have seen a few advertised from Westfalia and Brink etc but not sure if they are good quality or not.

Would like the factory fitted one but not at £2000 +
Would appreciate any recommendations

Thanks
Phil

Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Hi Phil

I, too, couldn't get comfortable with the £2,000 plus cost of this. I bought and fitted a bar and a dedicated electrics module and wiring kit last summer and it took less than half a day to fit, with no invasive work (no cutting of bumper trim panels) required.

Looking back over the details, I bought a Tow-Trust towbar, version TAD2VK which is common for the Macan and (wait for it) the Q5. Tow-Trust is based in Atherstone in Leicestershire. However, I bought mine from a company called Just-Tow (I think from their eBay shop); they were clearly the cheapest around and cost just £179.50 delivered; they were cheaper than buying from Tow-Trust themselves. Their web site is www.just-tow.co.uk. I had a few issues with radio silence (phone messages not being answered) after placing the order but they did respond to emails and I see from my notes that it took less than a week from ordering through to delivery. This tow bar comes complete with a detachable swan-neck towball which is made by a company called ACS whose importer in the UK is, no surprise, Tow-Trust... The swan neck that came with my bar positioned the ball just a tad too high for perfect level-alignment with my four-wheel Brian James trailer but, in the pursuit of perfection, I bought another swan neck and ball direct from Tow-Trust; I think my trailer hitch is a bit low and the standard arrangement should be fine for most applications - but it's nice to know that you can buy different versions to plug in if you need to. The bar also comes with a mounting bracket/plate for the electric socket; this pivots up and out of the way when you're not using it, so nice and neat.

I then bought the dedicated OEM-spec electronics module and a 13 pin socket kit with wiring from PF Jones for a further £110, delivered. This is made by Westfalia and the part number I have for it is 327 068 300 113. It is plug and play into the Macan; you will find a dedicated socket for the module to plug into within the o/s side trim in the rear load compartment. There were, I think, also three flying leads with teminations that had to be snap-inserted into a connector in that same area but it was all straightforward. Works perfectly, as you'd expect - I'm confident it's 100% OEM in functionality, with beepers disconnected when towing and appropriate warning lights for the trailer indicators, etc.

I should add that my car is fitted with the 'Exterior Design Pack' (or whatever it's called) and I can't comment for the standard bumper trim but I find that the installation is totally invisible when not in use (with the swan neck removed, which stows in the spare wheel well) and the 13 pin socket even swivels down through an existing transverse slot in the bumper lower panel.

I still have all of the notes I compiled when I did this (including instructions on how to remove the rear bumper to fit the bar - very straightforward so don't be daunted by that) and would be happy to mail those to you and save you the hassle if necessary.

So total cost for me was £289.50 plus a half day of time. Sort of makes sense to me - the saving of (ahem) around £1,710 certainly paid for a few bottles of decent red!

James
philmacan

Post by philmacan »

Hi James
Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I have looked at just-tow.com and yes a lot cheaper for the same tow bar.
Apart from removal of the bumper what else is required in terms of fitting? I am competent but loathe to start cutting bits on an expensive car- worried about getting it wrong so have asked just-tow if they can supply and fit. They are based in Leicester and cover Midlands so not sure if their fitting service covers London.
My bumper is standard so will check with just- tow if that is an issue and also clarify what electric kit I need if only using for a boat and perhaps a trailer.
Hope you are enjoying that wine!
Thanks for your help
Phil
Saffa

Post by Saffa »

philmacan wrote: Sun Jun 04, 2017 7:13 pm Hi James
Thanks for your comprehensive reply, I have looked at just-tow.com and yes a lot cheaper for the same tow bar.
Apart from removal of the bumper what else is required in terms of fitting? I am competent but loathe to start cutting bits on an expensive car- worried about getting it wrong so have asked just-tow if they can supply and fit. They are based in Leicester and cover Midlands so not sure if their fitting service covers London.
My bumper is standard so will check with just- tow if that is an issue and also clarify what electric kit I need if only using for a boat and perhaps a trailer.
Hope you are enjoying that wine!
Thanks for your help
Phil
Please let us know what the outcome is. Also looking to fit a towbar but balking at the OPC pricing. Also would this maintain your warranty?
http://www.porsche-code.com/PHEPZN21 delivered May 2017, sold Sept 2019
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Hi Phil

As I said, absolutely no cutting of parts required on my car. Fitting is really straightforward (and illustrated instructions are provided). In summary, you just remove the rear bumper (easy), unbolt the metal bumper armature (4 bolts) that goes across the car and replace it with the tow bar cross member which slides in and bolts in place. I've already covered the electrical installation; the electric kit I detailed above is exactly what you will need for a boat and trailer.

Good luck!

James
philmacan

Post by philmacan »

Have now had tabor fitted. I went for same towbar from Towtrust and same electrics kit that James recommended although paid a bit more (£350 for both). Towbar is detachable and looks good quality and well finished ( Towtrust company are very helpful).
I got a local London company to fit which cost £250.

Thanks James for your help- everything works great from the outset and did not need to go to Porsche for tweaking electrics etc.
Standard rear valance does require cutting in every instance as otherwise there would be no space for towbar to protrude from , Cutout looks ok and not noticeable unless you lie on ground.
Towed a 1800kg boat from London to Sth France with no issues and Macan handled easily. MPG about 24-27 at average 60mph.

Phil
Shortshift

Post by Shortshift »

Result!

Remind me again how much Porsche want for the same arrangement??

James
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

Porsche only do an electrically retractable towbar which is £800 if added when ordered.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
Tom 2000

Post by Tom 2000 »

1800 after fit I believe.
Macan SD Vocano Grey. LEDs, Pano Roof, PSE, Sports Chrono, PASM, Sports Design Mirrors, 21" Sports Classics in Black, lots of other extras.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJ2XHAR5 for the day that this works again.

987 Boxster 2.7 (2006)
andreas

Post by andreas »

CharlesElliott wrote: Fri Feb 09, 2018 5:35 pm Porsche only do an electrically retractable towbar which is £800 if added when ordered.
I specified it on my car. It's very clever, totally invisible when stowed away.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)