MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
BeeMac

Post by BeeMac »

This is my first ever post so I've no idea where this might end up, but here goes!
I currently have an SD on order, with delivery expected around mid September. I was very impressed by the SD when I drove the dealer's demo, but he did recommend that I also drive the S, just in case I might prefer it. As good as the S was, I still preferred the torquey power delivery of the SD and so my mind was made up. The dealer didn't ask about my driving style or how I intended to use the car. Hopefully I won't have any issues with the DPF.
Unfortunately, since placing my order, the news of emissions 'fix' recalls and sales bans in Germany has emerged, leaving me more than a little concerned. And I'll be pretty livid if any 'fix' Porsche install has a negative impact on engine performance (bhp, torque and/or fuel consumption), not to mention reliability. After all, Porsche (or should that be Audi) would surely have built them like that in the first place if it wasn't going to cause problems. Porsche UK have apparently advised my local dealer that there is no issue with the Macan SD and that only the Cayenne diesel is affected - which seems to be in stark contrast to news coming out of Germany. Does anyone have any further information about the 'dieselgate' impact on the Macan SD?

Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

As a fellow SD driver, I agree BeeMac it has a great feel and flexibility when driving but also a bit miffed that even though it is EU6 it seems tainted with the dieselgate issues.

It will be nice if the Macan is not affected but either way the fix is probably not mandatory. I also look forward to any news but at the moment just taking it as one of life's little annoyances, and the outcome will not be significant.
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
moonigan

Post by moonigan »

Hi, its been a while but I thought I'd contribute to this thread. We have had our car for almost 6 months and its gone into limp mode 3 times due to DPF issues. The first time I cleared it myself but the second two times have required a visit to the dealer. On the second occasion (last week) they fitted a new sensor which I was told was an updated part. My wife only does short journeys so I suspect this issue isn't going away anytime soon.

I too have been dealing with OPC Bolton who have been great sofar. I'll be calling them this afternoon to ask them to lodge the issue with Porsche UK.
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

That is interesting, which SA have you been dealing with ? I haven't had a sensor replaced by them they just keep doing the Hard Regens, so i may suggest that the next time it happens (which is inevitable it will happen again). They have been good with me too, each time giving me a Cayenne 4.2 V8 diesel to use which does soften the blow slightly
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

BeeMac wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 am This is my first ever post so I've no idea where this might end up, but here goes!
I currently have an SD on order, with delivery expected around mid September. I was very impressed by the SD when I drove the dealer's demo, but he did recommend that I also drive the S, just in case I might prefer it. As good as the S was, I still preferred the torquey power delivery of the SD and so my mind was made up. The dealer didn't ask about my driving style or how I intended to use the car. Hopefully I won't have any issues with the DPF.
Unfortunately, since placing my order, the news of emissions 'fix' recalls and sales bans in Germany has emerged, leaving me more than a little concerned. And I'll be pretty livid if any 'fix' Porsche install has a negative impact on engine performance (bhp, torque and/or fuel consumption), not to mention reliability. After all, Porsche (or should that be Audi) would surely have built them like that in the first place if it wasn't going to cause problems. Porsche UK have apparently advised my local dealer that there is no issue with the Macan SD and that only the Cayenne diesel is affected - which seems to be in stark contrast to news coming out of Germany. Does anyone have any further information about the 'dieselgate' impact on the Macan SD?
I had my SD for six months before swapping it for a Turbo.

In that six months I had zero DPF issues, no warning lights, no messages, nothing.

That said at least once per week there was a journey of at least 20 minutes on the M6 at 70mph so regen should have occured if it was necessary.

It seems to be Hobsons Choice, some SDs are affected others are not.

Good luck with yours.

TIP. Once you get your run in, put it in Sport mode and switch the PASM until there are no lights showing, then you have an even better set of engine and gearbox maps for Town driving, Comfort mode is best for high speed cruising imho. (amended thanks to Retired pointing out error in text)
Last edited by Col Lamb on Tue Aug 15, 2017 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Retired

Post by Retired »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 pm

TIP. Once you get your run in, put it in Sport mode and switch off the PASM,
This is to misunderstand PASM. You can't turn PASM off. If it's fitted it's working all the time.

What you can do if select the mode in which you want PASM to work.
moonigan

Post by moonigan »

j5kol wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am That is interesting, which SA have you been dealing with ? I haven't had a sensor replaced by them they just keep doing the Hard Regens, so i may suggest that the next time it happens (which is inevitable it will happen again). They have been good with me too, each time giving me a Cayenne 4.2 V8 diesel to use which does soften the blow slightly
Sorry I don't remember the name but my reg number is MC08MON so they should be able to look up what has been done using that info. Spoke to the sales guy today and he said there are lots of customers with this issue and it is getting escalated to Porsche. He said he is now actively discouraging customers from diesel cars if they are not doing the miles. Inconvenience aside as long as the gaps between if failing are measured in weeks rather than days and they keep fixing it I'll be fairly happy.
Paul

Post by Paul »

moonigan wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 1:28 pm
j5kol wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 11:59 am That is interesting, which SA have you been dealing with ? I haven't had a sensor replaced by them they just keep doing the Hard Regens, so i may suggest that the next time it happens (which is inevitable it will happen again). They have been good with me too, each time giving me a Cayenne 4.2 V8 diesel to use which does soften the blow slightly
Spoke to the sales guy today and he said there are lots of customers with this issue and it is getting escalated to Porsche. He said he is now actively discouraging customers from diesel cars if they are not doing the miles.
talk about bolting the stable door!!!
I was doing this in my Skoda and Renault dealerships in around 2008 / 2009 when dpf's first starting giving issues....frank conversation with every customer expressing an interest in diesel and a signed disclaimer letter in the deal file if they chose to proceed.......I wonder if I could sell a copy to Porsche!😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
BeeMac

Post by BeeMac »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Aug 15, 2017 12:11 pm
BeeMac wrote: Fri Aug 11, 2017 12:19 am This is my first ever post so I've no idea where this might end up, but here goes!
I had my SD for six months before swapping it for a Turbo.

In that six months I had zero DPF issues, no warning lights, no messages, nothing.

That said at least once per week there was a journey of at least 20 minutes on the M6 at 70mph so regen should have occured if it was necessary.

It seems to be Hobsons Choice, some SDs are affected others are not.

Good luck with yours.

TIP. Once you get your run in, put it in Sport mode and switch the PASM until there are no lights showing, then you have an even better set of engine and gearbox maps for Town driving, Comfort mode is best for high speed cruising imho. (amended thanks to Retired pointing out error in text)
Thanks Col.

Having read a lot more of the earlier posts on this topic it seems to me that the most likely cause of the vast majority of the DPF issues is Porsche's own software update ('re-program DME control unit - campaign number WG22). So many people have reported DPF problems after installation of this update, where previously their SDs had been running trouble free. With so many reported instances, this can't be just co-incidental. Did your SD have the 'WG22' software update installed before swapping it for the Turbo? I have to assume that all new builds leaving the factory will already have this software installed from the point at which it was rolled out to existing owners.

Since my original post I have contacted Porsche Germany about this. They congratulated me on my choice (LOL!) but unfortunately have yet to answer my questions about the impact of any such fix upon bhp, torque, fuel consumption etc. In the absence of any meaningful response from Porsche I have to assume that they are reluctant to give me answers which they know will make bad reading. Very disappointing. And now, having learned more about the widespread DPF issues, I'm beginning to wonder if owning a Porsche may be more trouble than it's worth.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Owning a Porsche is worth it in my opinion, to put it in to perspective I had 3 Jag XFS all lovely cars, my first one I had DPF problems the other 2 no problems at all, my SD so far no problems after 7,000 miles. I can understand your line of thought as I had problems with Macan No1 but it didn't deter me from Porsche because of the way it was dealt with by the OPC and in truth I think that is the point, hence I'm on Macan No3, so much technology in the modern Diesel/Petrol I feel there are sometimes going to be issues but it's how it's dealt with that is important to me.
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1