MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Macanporsche

Post by Macanporsche »

Thanks again Paul.

Light has gone off, I’m not sure when the dpf would ever passively regen itself because to be over 2k revs in auto you have to be doing over 80mph which is difficult to do for in excesss of 10 mins, even for those doing motorway journeys on today’s busy motorways.

I had to manually force it to stay in 4th in order to get above 2k revs at between 50-60 so seems like it has to be a conscious thing in order to force the regen to happen, no wonder so many people are having issues.

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Macanporsche wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:40 pm Thanks again Paul.

Light has gone off, I’m not sure when the dpf would ever passively regen itself because to be over 2k revs in auto you have to be doing over 80mph which is difficult to do for in excesss of 10 mins, even for those doing motorway journeys on today’s busy motorways.

I had to manually force it to stay in 4th in order to get above 2k revs at between 50-60 so seems like it has to be a conscious thing in order to force the regen to happen, no wonder so many people are having issues.
I think there needs to be a new national speed limit of 80mph for all Macan SD owners in order that we can do dpf regens without committing an offence.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ :lol: :lol:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Drew

Post by Drew »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:52 pm And since you've an empty tank at the moment, fill with Shell V-Power diesel or BP Ultimate diesel. Avoid supermarket fuel!
I've been on refineries loads of times, all the tankers fill up in the same place. Tesco ,shell, morrisons , whatever.
Supermarket fuel being low grade is a myth.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Drew wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:36 am
Nuclear Nick wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:52 pm And since you've an empty tank at the moment, fill with Shell V-Power diesel or BP Ultimate diesel. Avoid supermarket fuel!
I've been on refineries loads of times, all the tankers fill up in the same place. Tesco ,shell, morrisons , whatever.
Supermarket fuel being low grade is a myth.
Sorry to disagree. The tankers have compartments that are filled with different fuels for different outlets. The supermarkets economise on the additives and that's how they are able to undercut the major suppliers. There are many well publicised examples of engine component failures due to lower quality fuel from supermarkets. The myth is that all fuel comes from the same place so therefore is the same.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

At 9.5k miles, I accidentally filled up with BP 'upgraded' diesel (Ultimate?) the other day and I'm convinced that my car has a better low speed pick up/throttle response, but I'm not sure how much that is down to the placebo effect of me knowing I'd just shelled out an extra 10p/litre?
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

nsm3 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am At 9.5k miles, I accidentally filled up with BP 'upgraded' diesel (Ultimate?) the other day and I'm convinced that my car has a better low speed pick up/throttle response, but I'm not sure how much that is down to the placebo effect of me knowing I'd just shelled out an extra 10p/litre?
When I filled our diesel Yeti with Shell V Power, after using standard diesel (not supermarket!) for quite a long time, both my wife and I immediately noticed the difference. It was smoother, quieter and delivered better MPG. I calculated at the time that the extra cost was offset by the higher MPG.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

nsm3 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 10:14 am At 9.5k miles, I accidentally filled up with BP 'upgraded' diesel (Ultimate?) the other day and I'm convinced that my car has a better low speed pick up/throttle response, but I'm not sure how much that is down to the placebo effect of me knowing I'd just shelled out an extra 10p/litre?
Having never bothered with premium diesel in my previous Mercedes, I initially just used the standard grade in my SD. Even the SE at my OPC said "that's what we use and is perfectly okay".

Following suggestions on this Forum and after a few thousand miles I switched to BP Ultimate. That first full tank delivered better mpg, the engine responded quicker and it generally felt smoother at all rpm levels. That has continued and (so far!) I have had no DPF issues either in 11,000 miles and only one AdBlue fill.

Most of my driving is on non-Motorways, so very little constant high speed running. Not ideal for these 3.0 engines. I feel that the premium fuel with its additives helps though.

So for me the benefits outweighs the extra cost per litre.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

The more expensive Diesels have a higher Cetane rating and more additives. They do perform better than standard stuff. I watched a Fifth Gear programme once where they tested Supermarket fuels against branded standard and 'performance' fuels. They concluded that, whilst the upgraded fuels work, they are more costly and perhaps not worth it. They recommended filling up with the premium performance fuels every fourth fill up to get the benefits of cleaning and performance. This is what I do.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

^^^ Yes, I've heard the 'every third or fourth fill' one before - probably not a bad strategy if you don't want to go the whole hog.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold