MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Read this and other DPF threads with trepidation shortly after purchasing our SD in May. Sure enough, after around 2500 miles the warning light (in grey, not orange, which our OPC told us was a good thing) came up.

However strangely the light has gone off again - without us doing the 15-20 min >2000 revs drive. Anyone else had that happen?

Could it be related to the fuel itself? Happened to fill up with BP instead of supermarket fuel (having previously read that with the diesel it didn't seem to make a huge difference as opposed to the petrol Macans)...

Giz9

Post by Giz9 »

Sophiacat wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am Read this and other DPF threads with trepidation shortly after purchasing our SD in May. Sure enough, after around 2500 miles the warning light (in grey, not orange, which our OPC told us was a good thing) came up.

However strangely the light has gone off again - without us doing the 15-20 min >2000 revs drive. Anyone else had that happen?

Could it be related to the fuel itself? Happened to fill up with BP instead of supermarket fuel (having previously read that with the diesel it didn't seem to make a huge difference as opposed to the petrol Macans)...
I have mostly used Sainsbury's City Diesel for the past two years and have had no DPF errors.
Diesel S - Dark Blue/Luxor Beige. http://www.porsche-code.com/PFRFZG58
Deposit 9/4/2014
Locked down 6/3/2015
Built 12/5/2015. Delivered 2/6/2015
Paul

Post by Paul »

If the light comes up in grey then you should be pleased because the system is simply burning soot off quite normally by running a bit hotter than usual; you don't have to do anything (although if you can carry on driving until the light goes out this will be helpful)
The system has simply sensed that the soot load has reached its' first threshold.

It's only when the orange warning comes on that you need to keep above 2000 rpm for 15 mi s etc etc.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Paul wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:19 am If the light comes up in grey then you should be pleased because the system is simply burning soot off quite normally by running a bit hotter than usual; you don't have to do anything (although if you can carry on driving until the light goes out this will be helpful)
The system has simply sensed that the soot load has reached its' first threshold.

It's only when the orange warning comes on that you need to keep above 2000 rpm for 15 mi s etc etc.
I had not realised there were 2 colours of DPF warning lights. It looks like I have only been getting the grey lights

IMG_0674.JPG

This explains why the light disappears after only a short distance driven.

Either way I never got the light previously in the 2 years and 17000 miles before the software update.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Quick Update

Another trip to the OPC for my Macan and another hard regen required. I have now been told that because the wife is driving the car to work (4miles commute along country lane) the engine isn't getting warm enough to burn off the soot in the DPF and so the regeneration warning flags up. I have been using the vehicle once a week to commute (50 miles each way) to try and give it a good run and stop the fault occuring. Basically Porsche have advised me that the car cannot deal with short journeys, unreal, my thought was a car can do any type of journey or am i missing something ?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

j5kol wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm Quick Update

Another trip to the OPC for my Macan and another hard regen required. I have now been told that because the wife is driving the car to work (4miles commute along country lane) the engine isn't getting warm enough to burn off the soot in the DPF and so the regeneration warning flags up. I have been using the vehicle once a week to commute (50 miles each way) to try and give it a good run and stop the fault occuring. Basically Porsche have advised me that the car cannot deal with short journeys, unreal, my thought was a car can do any type of journey or am i missing something ?
For the last year we have had numerous posts on DPF issues and we have gone from almost a blanket recommendation for buying an SD if you do above 8k miles per annum to saying keep clear of the SD unless your journey profile can get the engine up to temperature and also for the engine to go into regen mode if and when necessary.

There does not seem to be any logic why some short journey SDs have problems whilst others do not.

Some whose engines get up to temperature and driving style suggests that regen should not be a problem yet they suffer from the warning.

If your once a week commute keeps the evil warning at bay then that is the best you can do, if it still goes into warning mode then its time to bite the bullet and put down a deposit on the petrol GTS or S.

Porsche are at fault for selling variants that essentially are not fit for the purpose you want and if we had USA consumer laws you could no doubt get your money back.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Thanks Col Lamb, it is really strange, we have had the car approx 3 months and it has covered 2800 miles so it isn't like it is not doing the mileage. The service adviser has said he will explain the situation to the sales manager but to be honest i can't see them making an attractive offer ?
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

j5kol wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 3:03 pm Thanks Col Lamb, it is really strange, we have had the car approx 3 months and it has covered 2800 miles so it isn't like it is not doing the mileage. The service adviser has said he will explain the situation to the sales manager but to be honest i can't see them making an attractive offer ?
I would keep a log of the journeys and take an image everybtime the warning comes on.

Meanwhile I would apply pressure to the dealer Principle that they sold you a car that is not fit for purpose and you want to change it.

I would also contact Porsche UK and explain your dissatisfaction with the SD.

Worth a shot to see what happens.?
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

There is definitely no logic. We've done 4500 miles in 10 months. Quite often these have only been short stop start journeys in London. No problems as yet, but often wonder if it's jus a matter of time. Switching into an S or GTS is a good suggestion, but unless the dealer is supporting the cost to change, could be a very expensive switch. I suspect I would lose at least £15k on my heavily specced SD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Paul wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:19 am If the light comes up in grey then you should be pleased because the system is simply burning soot off quite normally by running a bit hotter than usual; you don't have to do anything (although if you can carry on driving until the light goes out this will be helpful)

Ah I see, that makes sense Paul, thanks!