MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Sophiacat

Post by Sophiacat »

Giz9 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:12 am
Sophiacat wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am Read this and other DPF threads with trepidation shortly after purchasing our SD in May. Sure enough, after around 2500 miles the warning light (in grey, not orange, which our OPC told us was a good thing) came up.

However strangely the light has gone off again - without us doing the 15-20 min >2000 revs drive. Anyone else had that happen?

Could it be related to the fuel itself? Happened to fill up with BP instead of supermarket fuel (having previously read that with the diesel it didn't seem to make a huge difference as opposed to the petrol Macans)...
I have mostly used Sainsbury's City Diesel for the past two years and have had no DPF errors.

I'll switch back then! We were usually using Sainsburys as nearest/cheapest. Thanks :)

mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

j5kol wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 pm Quick Update

Another trip to the OPC for my Macan and another hard regen required. I have now been told that because the wife is driving the car to work (4miles commute along country lane) the engine isn't getting warm enough to burn off the soot in the DPF and so the regeneration warning flags up. I have been using the vehicle once a week to commute (50 miles each way) to try and give it a good run and stop the fault occuring. Basically Porsche have advised me that the car cannot deal with short journeys, unreal, my thought was a car can do any type of journey or am i missing something ?
If the car cannot cope with your wife's daily routine then I would argue that it is not fit for purpose and Porsche should not sell the car unless they get you to sign a disclaimer.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
macview19

Post by macview19 »

Hawkeye is absolutely correct SD purchased 20th March this year and have only used the vehicle a few times out of town covered only 839 miles. For
city journeys use little Hyundia I 10 petrol easier to use less expensive to repair (parking dings) so decided to change the Macan for a petrol Macan
advertised at £67000 (ours cost OTR £62000) NOW WAIT FOR IT offered £51000 from OPC so the figure posted by Hawkeye is pretty well nigh on..Since purchasing the SD circumstances have changed do not cover large mileages any more but regret having not ordered a GTS now. Fortunately the dreaded DPF warning light has as yet not shown.For the few times I have used the SD it is a great car with great SHOVE but still to be run in
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I can empathise Macview, I wish I'd ordered a GTS. Completely my fault as I had no good reason to order a diesel really other than very long lead times on petrol. Frustratingly, they shortened substantially whilst I was waiting delivery.

Although still a huge loss after less than 900 miles, I'm surprised at the £51k offer. I would expect to be offered around £45k for mine, maybe even a bit less.

I tried a GTS for a weekend and didn't think it was £15-£20k cost to change better.

I'd rather spend that money (or a bit more) on either something more fun to go alongside the Macan (997 C4S) or switch the Macan and add same amount for a 991.1 C2S.

Hope you manage to get the cost to change down as far as you can. Good luck with the switch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Just received the following response from the OPC that carried out the service/campaign work on my car:

Thank you for your email and apologies for my delayed reply.

Your complaint has been logged via Porsche Great Britain and my managers both at our Centre and Porsche Great Britain are aware of this.

In regards to the WG22 DME Control Software Update, it is a workshop campaign that has been delivered from Germany to carry out on all Macan Diesel vehicle’s, as a result of this update a regeneration may now be required from time to time for the maintenance of your vehicle.
The emission issue that has been brought to light is related to our Porsche Cayenne’s only (that of a certain specification) and we have been informed by Porsche Great Britain that the Macan vehicles aren’t affected by this.

Unfortunately, I am unable to undo the update software for the DME unit as this is something Porsche have released from Germany, therefore the new version has superseded the previous software.

If further software updates do get released, I can assure you I will be in touch to let you know. In the meantime, if there is anything further I can help you with please don’t hesitate to contact me
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Interesting.....if the emission issue is only related to Cayennes, and Macan's aren't affected, why is the mode being carried out at all?

Who is paying for the time to time regeneration which is now required for the maintenance?

Still, at least you have it all on record, and with customer services.....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Guy

Post by Guy »

The use of the word 'unfortunately' at the start of his second-to-last para suggests that they have sympathy for your problem, but sadly are powerless to do anything to resolve it.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I am a firm believer of the policy ...... If it ain't broke don't fix it.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

I am finding the whole DPF thing to be somewhat unsatisfactory! My DPF light came on today (I was expecting it as it has been sounding a bit "gruff" for the last few days and the stop/start function isn't cutting in). So I am going on a longer run tomorrow (only half an hour, but long enough to clear it). But on the way home (10 minute journey) with no special driving, it went out. So presumably I won't be able to regenerate it tomorrow morning on my longer run because it won't be trying to regenerate. It would make much more sense to have some sort of gauge to let you know how much soot was in there and a setting to allow you to regenerate it when you knew you were going on a longer run. Unfortuantely I am not sure if they will ever design it like this - too late for the current SDs anyway.
John_M

Post by John_M »

If you do a longish run where exhaust gets hot enough it should do passive regeneration - you only get the light on when that has failed an a level of soot has built up

AA DPF advice