MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Which OPC ? I must say the level of service i have received has been great, loads of communication and they gave me one of their SD demos to use whilst mine has been with them (Bolton OPC)

Paul

Post by Paul »

I know it won't help mend the car any quicker but have you (both) registered your complaint with Porsche customer services at head office?
The dealership will be doing all they can, but an alternative route back to the factory may help. Also, in the event that (either of) you choose vehicle rejection, Porsche GB may need to get involved.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Just lookep up in the GTK app and found this for DPF regeneration:-

Adapt your driving style so that the filter cleans itself automatically. For this purpose, drive for about 15 minutes at a speed of at least 60 km/h (37 mph) and an engine speed greater than 2,000 rpm. Always observe the relevant speed limits!
To me this may be difficult to achieve without a fairly long journey to get out of the City or if you live way out in the country well away from roads where you can get up to speed.

Not only that but 2000 rpm in an SD is fairly quick in top gear so it may well be that manual mode to maintain the engine speed might be required.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Neilzy

Post by Neilzy »

After speaking to Porsche Reading I received a phone call from the Centre Principal of my OPC full of apologies and what can he do to rectify the problem !
I mentioned that a swap to a petrol version would sort things out but agreeing to that would have to come from head office. Besides there is a 6 month waiting list.
In the mean time they are waiting for some parts to arrive and I continue to drive the courtesy car care of Enterprise Rentals.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am Just lookep up in the GTK app and found this for DPF regeneration:-

Adapt your driving style so that the filter cleans itself automatically. For this purpose, drive for about 15 minutes at a speed of at least 60 km/h (37 mph) and an engine speed greater than 2,000 rpm. Always observe the relevant speed limits!
To me this may be difficult to achieve without a fairly long journey to get out of the City or if you live way out in the country well away from roads where you can get up to speed.

Not only that but 2000 rpm in an SD is fairly quick in top gear so it may well be that manual mode to maintain the engine speed might be required.
To further complicate matters , just because you are driving at 2000 rpm etc etc doesn't mean the dpf is actually regenerating; the various sensors have to determine that the soot load is over a certain % . Only then will the regeneration process will start. This is when you need to be doing 2000 rpm for 15 mins and so on so, ensuring that the process is not interrupted.. Distance driving at working temp will prevent the filter from clogging in the first place.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Paul

Post by Paul »

Neilzy wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:50 am After speaking to Porsche Reading I received a phone call from the Centre Principal of my OPC full of apologies and what can he do to rectify the problem !
I mentioned that a swap to a petrol version would sort things out but agreeing to that would have to come from head office. Besides there is a 6 month waiting list.
In the mean time they are waiting for some parts to arrive and I continue to drive the courtesy car care of Enterprise Rentals.
Good news. At least the issue is now as high as it can go withing the dealership.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
Current 992 S Cab
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Paul wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:59 am
Col Lamb wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:36 am Just lookep up in the GTK app and found this for DPF regeneration:-

To further complicate matters , just because you are driving at 2000 rpm etc etc doesn't mean the dpf is actually regenerating; the various sensors have to determine that the soot load is over a certain % . Only then will the regeneration process will start. This is when you need to be doing 2000 rpm for 15 mins and so on so, ensuring that the process is not interrupted.. Distance driving at working temp will prevent the filter from clogging in the first place.
And to make matters worse i believe the fuel tank needs to be above 1/4 full for Regen to work too.
Doesn't seem to be as simple process as it should be...
GTS 😀
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Just to keep things in perspective. There are obviously quite a few people having problems but I assume the majority of owners are not having any issues with the dpf.

I have had my SD for 2 years with 17,000 miles. The software update has been done. I took it easy for the first 1000 miles. Rarely / never use manual gears. Don't do a lot of motorway driving but also don't do too much city driving.

No problems with the dpf (as yet!) Hopefully Porsche will identify what is causing the problems.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Scotmac. Did you notice any difference in performance, mpg or ad blue consumption post software update ? How many miles have you done since the update?
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

I'm sure I had the software update at the end of last year - plenty of miles since then. At first I thought the mpg was worse but it soon went back to normal - not sure why that would be - pdk gets reset I believe. I generally get 40 mpg. No difference in performance either - still loads of power. No idea about ad blue consumption as I've only topped it up twice - once per year. I think the pdk is slightly quicker going from drive to reverse.