MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
VanB

Post by VanB »

I tend to use V-Power mostly and Sainsbury's Super + probably every fourth fill just for convenience. Surprisingly I get better MPG from Sainsbury's and there is no discernable difference in performance, engine sound or similar. I will stick with V-Power as my standard juice as I do believe it is probably better for the engine and you don't spend this much on a car to feed it crap. Maybe misguided and maybe there is no difference in the fuel but 10p per litre just MAY save me a lot more further down the line.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate

Ray G

Post by Ray G »

VanB wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:15 pm I tend to use V-Power mostly and Sainsbury's Super + probably every fourth fill just for convenience. Surprisingly I get better MPG from Sainsbury's and there is no discernable difference in performance, engine sound or similar. I will stick with V-Power as my standard juice as I do believe it is probably better for the engine and you don't spend this much on a car to feed it crap. Maybe misguided and maybe there is no difference in the fuel but 10p per litre just MAY save me a lot more further down the line.
Have posted this on another thread but worth repeating I think:
Standard fuel is 95 RON; Esso Super Plus, Total Excellium and BP Ultimate are 97 RON whereas Shell V-Power is 99. Tesco Momentum is also 99 RON but Tesco use more ethanol which may affect the calibration sensors that fine-tune the engine.

RON (Research Octane Number) is a guide to the acceleration behaviour of the engine whereas MON (Motor Octane Number) is a guide to high temperature, high speed operation of the engine (e.g. motorway cruising): RON is quoted at the pumps but MON is not. The specification for the MON is a maximum of 10 less than the RON (this is the "sensitivity") so would be a minimum of 85 for standard fuel, 87 for Esso, Total and BP, and 89 for Shell and Tesco. Pick your driving style and your typical journey and then pick your petrol.

Cetane is the diesel equivalent of petrol's RON and the same applies i.e. higher cetane for more expensive fuel.

(as per Nuclear Nick) Additives perform many functions before, during and after combustion and are vital to maintaining performance, reliability and longevity. Additives are expensive and this is where the supermarkets trim their costs in order to maintain a margin on fuel sales.

You WILL get better performance and also more mpg with the more expensive fuel, and you WILL get a cleaner engine over the lifetime of the car that MAY save you money in the long term. I accept this may not offset the higher cost of the fuel but, having paid a lot for the car, personally I'll not stint on maintaining it.
Last edited by Ray G on Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
VanB

Post by VanB »

Yes, I saw that but it is really difficult to know how good/bad different fuels are as they all have to conform to a standard so absolutely NONE should be bad for your car. I also maintain that I get 10% better fuel economy out of Sainsbury's (BP Ultimate) than I do out of V-Power so how does that work if it is an inferior fuel?
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

VanB wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm Yes, I saw that but it is really difficult to know how good/bad different fuels are as they all have to conform to a standard so absolutely NONE should be bad for your car. I also maintain that I get 10% better fuel economy out of Sainsbury's (BP Ultimate) than I do out of V-Power so how does that work if it is an inferior fuel?
Agree that none should be bad for your car but performance will be affected if you fill with 95 and not 98 RON. I have no idea how you get 10% better mpg out of a slightly lower specification fuel (97/87 vs 99/89) - perhaps your driving style suits the fuel - but 10% more is most impressive.

The standard that they have to conform to (fungibility - goods that are interchangeable for commercial purposes, and have essentially identical properties) is grade dependent and assumes no additives. As soon as the additives get injected then they become Company specific.
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

BP Ultimate and Shell Power are both premium fuels and fairly equivalent so I'm surprised you get better MPG with the Ultimate VanB.

BTW - if it's branded BP Ultimate, even though it may be sold by Sainsburys, it certainly isn't 'supermarket fuel'!
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

...but is subjected to supermarket forecourt standards and not Oil Company forecourt standards.😊
VanB

Post by VanB »

Ray G wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:46 pm
VanB wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:34 pm Yes, I saw that but it is really difficult to know how good/bad different fuels are as they all have to conform to a standard so absolutely NONE should be bad for your car. I also maintain that I get 10% better fuel economy out of Sainsbury's (BP Ultimate) than I do out of V-Power so how does that work if it is an inferior fuel?
Agree that none should be bad for your car but performance will be affected if you fill with 95 and not 98 RON. I have no idea how you get 10% better mpg out of a slightly lower specification fuel (97/87 vs 99/89) - perhaps your driving style suits the fuel - but 10% more is most impressive.

The standard that they have to conform to (fungibility - goods that are interchangeable for commercial purposes, and have essentially identical properties) is grade dependent and assumes no additives. As soon as the additives get injected then they become Company specific.
It's an interesting question for sure but definitely 10% better from Sainsbury's and whilst I am not a hooligan I don't hang about either. Usually between fills I do a couple of 40 mile each way motorway journeys and maybe this is where it scores. I really do not have any idea why it's the case but it is.
FranCK

Post by FranCK »

Sadly, i hit problems with the DPF at 1
Month old (1k miles to be exact) numerous calls to OPC where i was promised a ‘fix’ was imminent. This never happened, but my tirade oo comments to Porsche GB on Twitter gained a fast response from direct. They asked me what i wanted. Problem was i disn’t want Petrol versionion and loved the car. My heart ruled and i kept the car. Happened again at 7000 and hasn’t happened since. Car now on 22k. I ensure every two weeks it gets an hour long run - Motorway. Other than that it’s short journeys. I often ran it in Sport mode, however a service two months ago seems to hv affected the revs in SMode, which now run lower! Software update? Keeping fingers crossed 🤞🏻
Current: Volcano Grey SD 2017, Mercedes E250 AMG conv. Audi Q5 2.0 S line + Audi Q5 2.0. Audi A3 S Line. Nissan Navara 2.5. And many VW Golf 😀
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

Petrol owners might well suffer the same issues with the fitting of the GDF’s, only time will tell , if that’s the case it’s a reason to stick with diesel.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊
MCS

Post by MCS »

FranCK wrote: Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:15 pm Sadly, i hit problems with the DPF at 1
Month old (1k miles to be exact) numerous calls to OPC where i was promised a ‘fix’ was imminent. This never happened, but my tirade oo comments to Porsche GB on Twitter gained a fast response from direct. They asked me what i wanted. Problem was i disn’t want Petrol versionion and loved the car. My heart ruled and i kept the car. Happened again at 7000 and hasn’t happened since. Car now on 22k. I ensure every two weeks it gets an hour long run - Motorway. Other than that it’s short journeys. I often ran it in Sport mode, however a service two months ago seems to hv affected the revs in SMode, which now run lower! Software update? Keeping fingers crossed 🤞🏻
so no issues from 7k miles to 22k now...that is reassuring - what software update did you get? I was intending to keep my car until it fell apart