MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Mike and his Macan

Post by Mike and his Macan »

It might have something possibly to do with the ambient temperature... the diesel car might reach operating temperature more quickly, and thus possibly work at a higher temperature during the summer months... , so possibly another reason why there have been no recent reports. Pure speculation though on my behalf.
Macan GTS.Vol/ grey turbo 21s, Bose, Panroof, heated seats and steering wheel, 18 way , red belts, LEDs, light comf mem, privacy , compass, 18 spare wheel, aluminium inserts, auto dim mirrors, smoked,r/rails,p/assi. CAYMAN GTS now 😊

Drew

Post by Drew »

Our car was absolutely horrific after the software update and doing nothing different drive/speed mileage wise than before. So there is no way anyone is going to tell me it was anything other than the update. I also know someone who it happened to who was a big motorway user. It had another service in March and has been fine since, funny that eh !!! So they didn't ruin it then fix it ? I'm done with diesel now, never again...
gasgas1

Post by gasgas1 »

what soft wear version are you on?
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Drew wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 7:57 am Our car was absolutely horrific after the software update and doing nothing different drive/speed mileage wise than before. So there is no way anyone is going to tell me it was anything other than the update. I also know someone who it happened to who was a big motorway user. It had another service in March and has been fine since, funny that eh !!! So they didn't ruin it then fix it ? I'm done with diesel now, never again...
My dpf light comes on about once a month. The annoying thing is that it never comes on when I’m on a Motorway. Had to give it a blast last night on M62. I don’t know what you would do if you did not live close to a motorway. My first Macan 2014 - 15 never showed a dpf warning. My second Macan also did not have a warning between 2015 to 2017 until it had its software “upgrade” at first service. I still like the Macan diesel but clearing the dpf once a month can be a bit of a nuisance at times.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
GMAN75

Post by GMAN75 »

My DPF problems brought me to this site and ultimately brought on my switch to petrol. Should never have taken a diesel in the first place but live and learn.

These comments, however, of "blasting" on the motorway, to me anyway, are confusing. My understanding, and I think it's correct, is that you cannot force a regen by simply driving your car hard when you think the DPF needs clearing. This is a systems driven action which is regulated by all sorts of variables. I was actually told by Porsche that "blasting" or driving your car hard randomly because you think it will fix your DPF warning does nothing more than accelerate your next visit to Shell!

But if it works, there's another variable! Still, a car should never dictate your driving habits.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

GMAN75 wrote: Sun Sep 09, 2018 3:55 pm My DPF problems brought me to this site and ultimately brought on my switch to petrol. Should never have taken a diesel in the first place but live and learn.

These comments, however, of "blasting" on the motorway, to me anyway, are confusing. My understanding, and I think it's correct, is that you cannot force a regen by simply driving your car hard when you think the DPF needs clearing. This is a systems driven action which is regulated by all sorts of variables. I was actually told by Porsche that "blasting" or driving your car hard randomly because you think it will fix your DPF warning does nothing more than accelerate your next visit to Shell!

But if it works, there's another variable! Still, a car should never dictate your driving habits.
When the grey coloured dpf warning light comes on which says “Regenerate Particle Filter” you need to regenerate the filter by driving at more than 2000 rpm until it clears. The warning typically goes off after 5 mins of such driving but I give it about 15 mins or so.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

There is a reason it is called DIEsel
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
Guy

Post by Guy »

In 3 years and 16000 miles I've never seen the DPF light nor had any problems.
bennachie

Post by bennachie »

You obviously drive it like you stole it,................................................. the way it was intended to be driven........................................
'The secret of life is enjoying the passage of time'
nsm3

Post by nsm3 »

12 months/7k miles and I haven't seen a regen indicator (yet!), however, a high proportion of my driving is on the motorway/dual carriageways. That said, I rarely see over 2,000 rpm on the tacho, as that is around the 80mph mark, only when accelerating on the way to said motorway.
Current: Macan S Diesel
Previous: 981 Cayman S
Previous: 997.1 GT3
Previous: 997.1 C2S