MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I would be telling them not to update the engine software. I did this recently when my wife's diesel TT went in for its first service. There is no safety issue with the updates so not compulsory. Anything they update will certainly not improve the engine running, most likely harm mpg or driveability. If it had been better they would have come like this from the factory in the first place. Any changes are to reduce emissions coming out of the exhaust, so they are kept in the engine/ exhaust so by causing processing difficulties with the EGR and particulate filter.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50

Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

I had my SD for six months, with zero DPF issues.

If I still had the SD then like others I would not allow the update.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Col Lamb wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 5:36 pm I had my SD for six months, with zero DPF issues.

If I still had the SD then like others I would not allow the update.
Must say I was somewhat wary of allowing software upgrade. If I get the DPF warning again within a short time I will not be a happy bunny.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Deleted User 1877

Post by Deleted User 1877 »

I've spoken at length with my dealer, as about to order the SD and I had been very concerned with all the issues with the DPF... they assured me it should not be a problem, (I'll be doing about 25k/year) and mentioned that recently someone had 'crawled' in and when they put the car on the system it had noted every journey. The obvious conclusion was it was not being driven in the way a diesel should be and how they were advised to drive at the time of purchasing it. Porsche had even advised the dealer to charge the client to reset as it had been self caused. I'm sure that didn't go down well. But on the flip side it's the excuse I'm giving when I get pulled over - 'I'm saving the planet officer' ;-)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

ror wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm I've spoken at length with my dealer, as about to order the SD and I had been very concerned with all the issues with the DPF... they assured me it should not be a problem, (I'll be doing about 25k/year) and mentioned that recently someone had 'crawled' in and when they put the car on the system it had noted every journey. The obvious conclusion was it was not being driven in the way a diesel should be and how they were advised to drive at the time of purchasing it. Porsche had even advised the dealer to charge the client to reset as it had been self caused. I'm sure that didn't go down well. But on the flip side it's the excuse I'm giving when I get pulled over - 'I'm saving the planet officer' ;-)
I find this one hard to believe... I asked about DPF issues long before lock down and was assured it was not an issue. I was not given any advice about how to drive or how a diesel should be driven. I hope that 9-10k miles/year works out fine, but I will be very unhappy if the DPF does turn out to be a problem.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Ian.g wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:16 pm
ror wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:06 pm I've spoken at length with my dealer, as about to order the SD and I had been very concerned with all the issues with the DPF... they assured me it should not be a problem, (I'll be doing about 25k/year) and mentioned that recently someone had 'crawled' in and when they put the car on the system it had noted every journey. The obvious conclusion was it was not being driven in the way a diesel should be and how they were advised to drive at the time of purchasing it. Porsche had even advised the dealer to charge the client to reset as it had been self caused. I'm sure that didn't go down well. But on the flip side it's the excuse I'm giving when I get pulled over - 'I'm saving the planet officer' ;-)
I find this one hard to believe... I asked about DPF issues long before lock down and was assured it was not an issue. I was not given any advice about how to drive or how a diesel should be driven. I hope that 9-10k miles/year works out fine, but I will be very unhappy if the DPF does turn out to be a problem.
I have also never had any advice pre ordering or post purchase. If I suffer any repeated issues at least I can prove that I never had any DPF issues prior to the software upgrade.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Deleted User 1877

I wouldn't be too concerned as it was also mentioned if many have the issue a new software update would be required re-tweeting the settings. I'm sure the driving style of that particular Porsche was a few short journeys, never giving it enough time to properly heat up. The days of choosing diesel to be frugal are past.
Deleted User 1877

And to be fair I was questioned throughly as to why i was choosing the diesel when I first put my deposit down all this many months ago.. no doubt dealer to dealer and salesperson to salesperson differ greatly.
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

My dealer never asked why I was ordering a diesel. If he had questioned me more about it, I would almost certainly be driving a GTS instead!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Guy

Post by Guy »

Just seen this in the telegraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/07 ... on-levels/

Porsche diesels get a mention - is this a new recall or part of the current DME update? The timing would imply that it is in addition.