MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Glad things seem to be sorted.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Neilzy

Post by Neilzy »

Hi
Sorry, obviously I did not make myself clear
They have agreed to swap the other guy's wife's car
Not mine
My complaint is somewhere in the system
Regards
CharlesElliott

Post by CharlesElliott »

I would agree that 6,000 miles in 6 months does not indicate the type of driving that would be expected to cause DPF issues. I'm sure we would all be interested to know how your case proceeds from here.

As we advised someone else, you should get clear in your mind what resolution you want from here - e.g. refund, Macan S (petrol) replacement etc.
Macan GTS: PH1UFLL8
R850R

Post by R850R »

A bit off-topic for the OP:-
I'm aware the issue of DPF and premium diesel has been 'done to death' according to web postings and I've yet to find any truly objective test results.
Instead it's all subjective comment ranging from "can't tell any difference using supermarket diesel" to "wouldn't put regular diesel in my (performance) vehicle ever".
Thus far my Macan has only received BP Ultimate diesel during its 5k miles in 6 months. The novelty and attraction of driving the Macan led to it being used initially for short journeys though now it is driven predominantly on motorways. I find maintaining >2,000 rpm for any length of time quite difficult on our congested motorways and have not (yet) experienced any DPF warnings.
Amidst all the oil companies' hype and advertising blurb though, surely deposits on the injector jets (smaller diameter than a human hair) could lead to uneven fuel distribution in the cylinder and the possibility of more combustion particulates passing to the DPF.
It does seem agreed that premium diesel compared to bog-standard diesel has a higher cetane number, better "lubricity" and includes detergents that provide injector nozzle cleaning.
The continuous use of premium diesel is deemed unnecessary; whereas continual use such as every 3rd tank-full is said to be sufficient to achieve the benefits. Whether such benefits are worth the extra cost is down to owner choice and their own perceptions.
Having paid for a Porsche, I consider the extra cost/litre is relatively trivial.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

i think we need to know how many forum members have had the software upgrade to their diesels and how many have had issues post upgrade.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

It is odd that some have trouble and some don't. Looking at my driving versus some others, I might have expected trouble but have had none yet (cue DPF light tomorrow...) Could someone set up a detailed survey to see if there is a theme? It would need to separate out those with problems and those without - so might need 2 surveys and you answer the problem or non-problem one. Questions could include fuel type, average journey length, how often the engine never reaches 65 degrees on a journey, how often you drive at over 2k revs for 20 minutes etc. It might give us the answer.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Sounds like a survey of SD owners is required
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Agree a survey would be very sensible with software version / updates and what fuel is used and even more importantly what type of driving people are doing. You can do 2000 miles a month and have DPF problems if that is town / school run driving for example.
GTS 😀
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Update on my situation ..............

So i got a call from the OPC yesterday to tell me that they had carried out a Hard Regen and were going to road test my Macan for 30mins. They seemed to have no real answer as to why the fault keeps occurring. They did say that Porsche are aware of the issue and are currently trying to come up with some kind of resolution (maybe a recall) as they have realised that this has become a major fault with a vast number of Diesels. My OPC didn't seem too convinced that i wouldn't have the fault pop up again and said that the dealer principle has sent an email to Porsche to register my particular case.
Neilzy

Post by Neilzy »

Thanks for the update
My Macan has now been with Porsche for 11 days with not a peep from the service dept.
Obviously having a problem sorting out a long term answer to the fault.