MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:29 pm I'm sure I had the software update at the end of last year - plenty of miles since then. At first I thought the mpg was worse but it soon went back to normal - not sure why that would be - pdk gets reset I believe. I generally get 40 mpg. No difference in performance either - still loads of power. No idea about ad blue consumption as I've only topped it up twice - once per year. I think the pdk is slightly quicker going from drive to reverse.
That's reassuring to know.
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.

Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

So having tempted fate on Monday by saying that I had had no trouble with mine, the dreaded DPF warning came on this morning. I was only about 1 mile from work and had only 25 miles left in the fuel tank, so not a good time. Having said that, I think it might have been trying to regenerate yesterday because it sounded a bit gruff. Anyway, I have filled up and driven at mostly >2000rpm in manual. I had to stop to drop someone off after about 5 or 6 minutes and the warning had gone. I still took it for a longer drive in manual - something that I haven't done much before. It is certainly very responsive around the 2000-3000rpm mark and I found myself going a bit fast for the country road so had to keep slowing down. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and maybe do something similar if I hear the slightly more growling exhaust note again. Presumably mine is behaving as intended rather than in a faulty way like some on here.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ian.g wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:47 pm So having tempted fate on Monday by saying that I had had no trouble with mine, the dreaded DPF warning came on this morning. I was only about 1 mile from work and had only 25 miles left in the fuel tank, so not a good time. Having said that, I think it might have been trying to regenerate yesterday because it sounded a bit gruff. Anyway, I have filled up and driven at mostly >2000rpm in manual. I had to stop to drop someone off after about 5 or 6 minutes and the warning had gone. I still took it for a longer drive in manual - something that I haven't done much before. It is certainly very responsive around the 2000-3000rpm mark and I found myself going a bit fast for the country road so had to keep slowing down. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and maybe do something similar if I hear the slightly more growling exhaust note again. Presumably mine is behaving as intended rather than in a faulty way like some on here.
What sort of mileage do you do Ian?

I can't see us having DPF issues as we're currently over 14k miles since January, mostly motorway miles at exactly (cough, cough) 70 miles per hour.
Macan S D
718 S
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

happy days wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:58 pm
Ian.g wrote: Wed Jun 14, 2017 7:47 pm So having tempted fate on Monday by saying that I had had no trouble with mine, the dreaded DPF warning came on this morning. I was only about 1 mile from work and had only 25 miles left in the fuel tank, so not a good time. Having said that, I think it might have been trying to regenerate yesterday because it sounded a bit gruff. Anyway, I have filled up and driven at mostly >2000rpm in manual. I had to stop to drop someone off after about 5 or 6 minutes and the warning had gone. I still took it for a longer drive in manual - something that I haven't done much before. It is certainly very responsive around the 2000-3000rpm mark and I found myself going a bit fast for the country road so had to keep slowing down. Anyway, I will keep an eye on it and maybe do something similar if I hear the slightly more growling exhaust note again. Presumably mine is behaving as intended rather than in a faulty way like some on here.

I can't see us having DPF issues as we're currently over 14k miles since January, mostly motorway miles at exactly (cough, cough) 70 miles per hour.
Now you know you are asking for trouble.

70 mph in an SD is barely ticking over in top gear.

I looked yesterday and in my Turbo (before the blowipe warriers got me and I was limited to less than 50 on the spare) and 70 equates to 2000rpm
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

I think the " cough" might just tip happy over the 2000 rpm mark - 😉
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

2822 since March. I am expecting to do a bit under 10,000. Used to do 8,000 but should be a bit higher in this car. Most journeys are 5-10 miles but a longer run most weeks at some point.
happy days

Post by happy days »

Paul wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:48 pm I think the " cough" might just tip happy over the 2000 rpm mark - 😉
You might very well think that... I couldn't possibly comment...
Macan S D
718 S
happy days

Post by happy days »

Ian.g wrote: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:01 pm

2822 since March. I am expecting to do a bit under 10,000. Used to do 8,000 but should be a bit higher in this car. Most journeys are 5-10 miles but a longer run most weeks at some point.
There used to be a rule of thumb that argued that anything less than 20k a year was better off in a petrol car. Not so sure how that applies these days, but we do 35-40k a year so diesel is a no brainer for us.
Macan S D
718 S
John_M

Post by John_M »

happy days wrote: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:44 amThere used to be a rule of thumb that argued that anything less than 20k a year was better off in a petrol car. Not so sure how that applies these days, but we do 35-40k a year so diesel is a no brainer for us.

I think 20k was when diesels were dearer than petrol versions (you'd need a 1.8 to match 1.3 petrol) and were more expensive to service - but that changed a lot with push to better economy and until they started putting DPF in the advantage was diesel - there was always the perceived view diesel was better for short journeys, hopefully that has disappeared from people's minds as it never really was
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

ScotMac wrote: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:38 pm Just to keep things in perspective. There are obviously quite a few people having problems but I assume the majority of owners are not having any issues with the dpf.

I have had my SD for 2 years with 17,000 miles. The software update has been done. I took it easy for the first 1000 miles. Rarely / never use manual gears. Don't do a lot of motorway driving but also don't do too much city driving.

No problems with the dpf (as yet!) Hopefully Porsche will identify what is causing the problems.
This may be slightly off-topic but my car is coming up to two years old (18.5k miles so far) and will need an oil change/intermediate service in the near future. Do you have any information on what the software upgrade is designed to do and whether it is compulsory or optional?
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel