MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

A few weeks ago the Turbo was sucking fumes so I filled up at my local Sainsburys with their 97.

Did not drive any different, did not notice any change in performance or economy.

After sucking fumes again it is niw back on V Power and 200 miles later no difference.

OK so Sainsbugs may not have the additives that V Power does so an occasional use of Smarket 97 will go in the Turbo if it is mire convenient.

Normally I fill up via a special trip to the nearest Shell so its not exactly convenient
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Rab J

Post by Rab J »

I was filling my runabout at Sainsburys the other day and noticed that Super unleaded is now 3p cheaper than diesel. How times have changed. It would still be difficult to risk their super in the 911 after the water incident though.
Macan GTS Carmine with 21" black sports classics ---Gone
991.2 GTS Carmine 2WD ---Gone
Cayenne E-Hybrid Coupe Jet Black
http://www.porsche-code.com/PL86QK50
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

^^^ Am sure diesel prices only shot up (compared to petrol) when diesels became so widespread (i.e. fuel companies profiteering). Can't believe it costs the fuel companies any more to produce diesel than unleaded petrol...

If/when petrol cars outnumber diesels again, I'm sure they'll turn the tables and we'll see standard unleaded petrol costing more than diesel per litre.
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Diesel tends to get more expensive in winter as it has an alternative market as heating oil in Europe. Given the current cold weather and snow in Northern Europe it's no surprise that heating oil demand (and thus supply cost) is up.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Ray G

Post by Ray G »

Wing Commander wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 10:55 am ^^^ Am sure diesel prices only shot up (compared to petrol) when diesels became so widespread (i.e. fuel companies profiteering). Can't believe it costs the fuel companies any more to produce diesel than unleaded petrol...

If/when petrol cars outnumber diesels again, I'm sure they'll turn the tables and we'll see standard unleaded petrol costing more than diesel per litre.
Not so much profiteering as simple economics...demand up so the marginal cost of production goes up so the price goes up.
Current: Macan SD Volcano Grey
Previous: Cayenne SD then Cayenne S
Pivot

Post by Pivot »

The higher grade Octane (for petrol) or Cetane (for Diesel), the higher refinery prod costs. Diesel is a much lower grade fuel and therefore less expensive to manufacture.
The big diff is taxes.
Current: 911 Carrera T - PPM9RU51
On order: 911 Targa 4S - PPDV8NY4
Cheshire Cat

Post by Cheshire Cat »

If my memory serves be correctly, Diesel and Petrol (Gasoline) are produced in the same process of distillation of crude oil so you get both for the same costs. Then the fuel is further refined and additives introduced but , as mentioned above, taxes are the main cost of fuel.
Dolomite Silver 'S' with red leather 14 way seats, Pano roof, Bose, Air suspension with pasm, Chrono pack, PDLS, Surround view, 911 turbo wheels, heated screen, spare wheel, ioniser,75 lt tank, black tail pipes, black roof rails.
mark-yorkshire

Post by mark-yorkshire »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm If my memory serves be correctly, Diesel and Petrol (Gasoline) are produced in the same process of distillation of crude oil so you get both for the same costs. Then the fuel is further refined and additives introduced but , as mentioned above, taxes are the main cost of fuel.
Fuel duty is the same for both petrol and diesel in the UK
2021. Macan 2.0 Gentian. 12/21
2019. 718 Boxster T Carrara white.
2018. Macan SD Volcano.
2005. 987.1 Boxster S. Black.
2015 . Macan SD . Agate grey.
2014. Macan SD . Jet black.
2012. 981 Boxster PDK . Agate.
2010. 987.2 Cayman PDK. Aqua.
VanB

Post by VanB »

Some interesting points above. Both petrol and diesel (and a whole host of other products) are produced during the distillation process so, no, it is no more expensive to produce diesel than petrol as they are simply different factors in the distillation process. Diesel is far more affected by seasonal factors as it is effectively the same product as heating oil.

Are we sure that duty on Diesel and petrol are the same? I seem to recall a few years ago a jump in diesel price as a result of the budget? Maybe fuel duty was increased in line with petrol?

Anyway, differential in price seems to be standing at about 12p per litre around these parts and I am not sure that's justifiable.
Current - 991.2 GTS C4 GT Silver
Previous: Macan GTS Night Blue
Previous: 981 Cayman S Agate
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Cheshire Cat wrote: Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:22 pm If my memory serves be correctly, Diesel and Petrol (Gasoline) are produced in the same process of distillation of crude oil so you get both for the same costs. Then the fuel is further refined and additives introduced but , as mentioned above, taxes are the main cost of fuel.
I do not see it the same way.

Yes, both are produced by the same process with Diesel being extracted from the process earlier than petrol.

So petrol has to undergo more processing and this processing has to include additional costs which at the very least is extra production plant, maintenance, replacement parts, design, build, taxable rates etc.

Those costs may not be reflected in figures we see that are released but they are there never the less.

The bean counters at the Refineries will have the precise costs per ml produced in their calculations that is for sure.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags