MACAN DPF PROBLEMS

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
j5kol

Post by j5kol »

Wow, i have had exactly the same happen to me. Bolton have also given me a full refund and as it stands i am currently using one of their 2.0 petrol demos until my petrol S arrives in December. They have been superb with me, customer service second to none. Porsche obviously have a major issue here with the DPFs.

FranCK

Post by FranCK »

I have had this problem occur twice since I took delivery of my Macan DS in March 17. Prior to collection I enquired with my dealer (Principal) regarding DPF issues after being tipped off by a friend who has severe limp mode issues with her. (15 reg)

I was assured categorically that this DPF issue was a rare occurrence, so how cheesed off am I that it happened at 1000 miles and 7200. Both times I had an option to regenerate, but nonetheless I feel conned by the dealer (we know his family personally too!)

This is my 7th diesel, and I have never had a prior issue. Prior cars were Mercedes and Audi.

The salesman knew I was a housewife, and didn't undertake long journeys, however never suggested the petrol.

This is my first Porsche, however, It has tainted my opinion of Porsche and I will definitely consider a different brand when it's time to sell.

This cannot be doing Porsche any favours, yet when emailing the HO they bat you back to the local dealer and ignore your pleas for answers.

Very disgruntled.
Current: Volcano Grey SD 2017, Mercedes E250 AMG conv. Audi Q5 2.0 S line + Audi Q5 2.0. Audi A3 S Line. Nissan Navara 2.5. And many VW Golf 😀
Spud

Post by Spud »

FranCK wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 pm I have had this problem occur twice since I took delivery of my Macan DS in March 17. Prior to collection I enquired with my dealer (Principal) regarding DPF issues after being tipped off by a friend who has severe limp mode issues with her. (15 reg)

I was assured categorically that this DPF issue was a rare occurrence, so how cheesed off am I that it happened at 1000 miles and 7200. Both times I had an option to regenerate, but nonetheless I feel conned by the dealer (we know his family personally too!)

This is my 7th diesel, and I have never had a prior issue. Prior cars were Mercedes and Audi.

The salesman knew I was a housewife, and didn't undertake long journeys, however never suggested the petrol.

This is my first Porsche, however, It has tainted my opinion of Porsche and I will definitely consider a different brand when it's time to sell.

This cannot be doing Porsche any favours, yet when emailing the HO they bat you back to the local dealer and ignore your pleas for answers.

Very disgruntled.
Feel that’s terrible, when I was in my OPC recently they openly said there had been issues and in certain cases they had changed clients Diesels to Petrol, so despite what anyone tells you it is a recognised problem, personally I would challenge them and see if they can provide an acceptable solution especially as they knew your driving pattern
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

FranCK wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2017 11:31 pm I have had this problem occur twice since I took delivery of my Macan DS in March 17. Prior to collection I enquired with my dealer (Principal) regarding DPF issues after being tipped off by a friend who has severe limp mode issues with her. (15 reg)

Very disgruntled.
Welcome and sorry to read about your problems.

The DPF issues started to be raised over a year ago but this year the number of Macans suffering has been out of proportion with no real reason why some suffer yet others do not.

The main concensus is that an SD needs a longish drive at least once a week where regen could occur, over 1500rpm for 20 minutes, but that said it will not trigger if it does not need it.

I suggest that you go into the dealer and discuss the matter with the Principle.

Suggest that they rectify the problem as they were told your drive profile and you were assured that it would not be a problem.

Lay it on, fly the sexist flag, you do not want to risk driving the car on your own late at night for fear of it going into limp home mode.

Also state that you will follow up this meeting by writing to the Principle outlining the problem, the reassurances given and the content of the meeting.

In contract law there is a term “latent defect”, this refers to an issue like the DPF filter problem that is inherent in the car and as such they the dealer will still be responsible for rectifying the defect free of charge even after the expiry of the warranty. Make a strong point of this in the meeting and include it in the letter. Whilst this term is mot specific to vehicle sales its use is widespread elsewhere and the term may make the Principle uncomfortable for whilst they may argue against it there is a legal precident fot it in the UK.

Include a time period to rectify, also suggest that you would be willing to hand back the car.

Send a copy of the letter to Porsche UK via Registered Post.

Be a terrior or time will pass and you will be stuck with it.

Personally I would not recommend an SD to anyone other than to someone who is a high speed mile muncher, for the last year the DPF issue has been to much of a risk to buy a SD.

The SD does have a lot going for it but Porsche have totally failed to solve the problem properly, the SD being one of the dieselgate engines does not help the problem to go away. Hence I can totally understand your feeling of tainted ownership.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
jonmacan

Post by jonmacan »

Spud wrote: Thu Nov 02, 2017 8:04 am

Very disgruntled.
Feel that’s terrible, when I was in my OPC recently they openly said there had been issues and in certain cases they had changed clients Diesels to Petrol, so despite what anyone tells you it is a recognised problem, personally I would challenge them and see if they can provide an acceptable solution especially as they knew your driving pattern
That is terrible. I recently bought a small Nissan diesel for my daughter and the salesman did his best to talk Me out of it saying that the new diesel suffer to many issues if not driven long distances every now and then.

Hope you get a resolve to an awful freak situation.
http://www.porsche-code.com/PGj3NIA8 spec.
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

Hi Fran

Yes It seems you were mis-sold and your SD is not fit for your purpose. You need to discuss with your OPC' Dealer Principle. You will see that others on this Forum have secured petrol swaps.

Which OPC did you buy it from?

You mention 7200 miles. How long have you had the car and how many miles now?

Do you do any runs at "high speed" during your typical week's usage? Or is all local stuff at relatively slow speeds?

With best wishes for a resolution.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Paul

Post by Paul »

7200 miles since March is not “low” mileage and a mileage which I would consider almost OK for a diesel (12000 miles a year ish) - certainly not the anecdotal 5000 miles per annum which is typically what causes problem.

Having said that, the option to regenerate you mention having seen twice in 7200 miles is perfectly normal and means the car is working properly. Often the regeneration light coming on the dash worries people and they stop the car. It is normal and simply a sign that you should carrying on driving (if possible at 2000 rpm for 15 mins etc etc)

5B15DE34-87AF-4CA7-8DC7-D7F10D2E4A0A.png

Has you dealership done the software update or does your car already gave the latest version installed? Worth asking the question....and good luck!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
SAC1

Post by SAC1 »

It's all about usage. Low speed and short multi-trips seem to be the culprit with EU6 / Ad Blue engines.

I no longer do a big annual mileage, but when out in the Macan SD I give it the beans and try not to do short low speed trips. I use our petrol car for those needs.
Last edited by SAC1 on Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve

2020 GTS in Sapphire Blue
(sold) 2017 SD in Rhodium Silver
Drew

Post by Drew »

Still waiting for the so called " Fix " I have a feeling its never coming.
Spud

Post by Spud »

Well after 12 months ownership and 15,000 miles I got the dreaded DPF Regen sign today, I have over the last two weeks done mainly short journeys, anyway put the car in to Sports plus mode and drove manually keeping the revs above 2,000rpm for around 10 minutes and the sign went off, so hopefully cleared.
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1