Porsche Range Experience.

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Original text
Just had an email from my OPC inviting me to the PEC for a Range Experience. Duly booked a session in the morning. Is anyone here going on the same day. Just booked rooms at the P Inn near the circuit for myself and my Son in Law who I will be taking there.
I have added the report here in the first post so it is easy to get at
Porsche Range Day.

Arrived at the PEC after a bit of faffing about, its the F1 GP next weekend and everyone entering the circuit is directed by Security to the Contractors registration Portacabin for logging in and receiving a Pass.

Breakfast was the usual multi choice and after a wander around the showroom and a look out from the roof terrance of the circuits and the set up activities taking place in the circuit it was down into briefing room for a description of the various activities.

Session one was a detailed briefing on observations and factors affecting what you see and what you think you see, then it was into the human performance lab for an explanation of the activities. This was basically an extended version of what you get on the Depositors 1/2 day session. 2/10 for each activity.

Session 2 was a dual header, first was a drive around the handling circuit in a Macan Turbo PP, the Turbo PP is simply stunning, the extra horses and the GTS suspension put is in a different league to the standard Turbo. Great handling, poise and the effortless pick up from the engine was brilliant. 9/10.

Then into a Boxster for a session on the skid kick plate, the first run for me was a non event, second run and an extra 5mph and the tail was chasing the front. Then another run lifting off the gas and again tail chasing, next run with gentle pressure on throttle and again tail chasing front end. Yet another run with constant throttle, no drama, easily caught the skid from the kick plate. Downside was that there were no laps of the circuit but despite this I would still give it 8/10.

Session 3 and an off road demo in a Cayenne, that car is in its element on the course with seemingly impossible traction throughout. Downside is that it was just a demo and nobody got a hands on drive and for this alone it gets 6/10.

Session 4 and into a Panamera 4 S D, 430bhp. Its like the Starship Enterprise once the ignition is turned on. the Instructor gave a quick demo of the various systems before we set off for the Ice Hill, I gave the Panny so stick to get there as I expected that the very short quick thrash was all that I was going to get. The Instructor had be undertake the same manoeuver whist he adjusted various settings on the car. Interested but not what I really wanted to do hence 3/10.

Last activity was in a 911 Carrera 4 GTS all 450bhp and 4 wheel drive. Soon I was giving the car some serious wellie and after some subtle coaching I modified my technique and felt far more at home in the car. Lap after lap I tried to be as smooth and as fast as I could be and all the time the Macan Turbo PP that I had driven earlier was slowly catching me, when he got close I signalled for him to pass and it turned out that the Turbo PP was being driven by one of the Instructors so I proceeded to follow and observe his lines and the dynamics of the Macan. The Turbo PP in the hands of a someone far more skilled than I is a joy to behold. All to soon the session drew to a close and it was time to head back to the Centre. The 911 Carrera 4 GTS is simply the best car I have ever driven it is a stunning machine and I even managed to climb out of it without making an idiot of myself. Totally outstanding 10/10.

Lunch was the usual small portions but beautifully presented and then after looking at the merchandise and was amazed at just how a polo shirt can cost £145.

So there you are folks, my thoughts on a very good 1/2 day which I have now done but would not do again.
Last edited by Col Lamb on Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags

Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Should be fun, Col. Look forward to your review and pics!
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

I think I got my car relatively close to yours Col ..... wonder if I'll have an invite coming soon? [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

The invite email I had came from the Sales Manager at my OPC.

With me going in there to get the flat tyre repaired a couple of weeks ago probably had a bearing on the invite.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Paul

Post by Paul »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2017 7:35 pm The invite email I had came from the Sales Manager at my OPC.

With me going in there to get the flat tyre repaired a couple of weeks ago probably had a bearing on the invite.
..note to self....arrange for a puncture....£250 tyre = £550 PEC day......😉👍👍
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Simon

spook

Post by spook »

Sorry Col Lamb, Mrs Spook and I are booked in for 10th July PM session .
For us It was an out of the blue invite from my OPC Sales Manager.
Have fun !!!
911 C2 Pickup 14th April 2018 :D :D
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJN1HBF2
Pensioner Petrol S - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHMKHZF4 - Deposit place 11/11/14 - Pick up 09/05/16 - SOLD 30/08/17 :-(
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

At least you guys can have lunch together! :)
Simon

Caster

Post by Caster »

Got my invite this am from Sales Manager + duly booked in for next Friday (7th) pm - will let you know what it's like. Sounds like you + partner both get 3 hrs of driving in various Porsches - will await confirmation of that though!

Hope we all enjoy our "experiences"!
Dave

Macan SD - Volcano Grey (with mudflaps) :D
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

My mate invited me as his guest on a range day and it was all a bit of an anticlimax. We drove Cayennes and Panameras and Macans on the road for all of 5-10 minutes as there were 2 other guests in the car and we all took a turn. Then we did a bit of handling in Boxsters and Caymans, and a bit on the track in a 911.

In between that there was a lot of hanging around waiting to move on to the next car.

Maybe they get customer feedback and swap it up a bit, but overall, you'd be better off going for test drives at your OPC.