Outdoor cover

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

About 10 weeks until my S is due, getting quite excited.

Just wondering whether anyone uses an outdoor cover for their Macan and, if so, whether you'd recommend it. Most owners probably don't even think of using one, but there's no room in the garage so mine will live on the drive and I'm mildly obsessive about clean cars :roll:

I'd only consider covering it when its going to be out of use for a couple of days or longer. Either that or I buy a couple more buckets...
pj191k89

Paul

Post by Paul »

I think the dirt prevented by car covers is outweighed by the scratches imparted when putting on and taking off......no matter how careful you are there's always a small stone / twig / piece of gravel which gets trapped between car and cover!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Nobleman

Post by Nobleman »

Thanks, yes you make a good point. I just hate seeing tree dust and other gifts from nature accumulate on one's pride and joy. Oh well, maybe I just need to get the buckets and budget for the washing time.
pj191k89
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

You could always pay for one of those miracle finishes that detailers put on.

Me personally cant be bothered . Car paint is designed to put up with a lot of abuse - bar acidic bird shite, so just enjoy the car and give it a monthly wash, or let the local poles have a pop. Unless you are going to keep the car forever, normal use will have absolutely no effect on future value.
TeeTech

Post by TeeTech »

I agree with Paul. I had one once on a TT and gave up as trapped dirt was too much of a risk for the paintwork.
Petrol S 20 2017
911 991.1 S 2012
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Agree with comments above. Cover is a pain.
I would only consider a cover if the car was out of use for some considerable time (number of weeks +)

Even indoors in the garage it can get dusty. 😟
So my research into new garage flooring to keep the dust away has begun πŸ™„

Enjoy the pickup and look forward to the pics πŸ‘
GTS πŸ˜€
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 pm
I've just renovated both my garages and used Mototiles - the light grey recycled ones. They are heavy duty and can take bike stands and trolley jacks. Very pleased with the results.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: ↑Tue Jul 11, 2017 7:29 pm
Kasfranks99 wrote: ↑Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 pm
I've just renovated both my garages and used Mototiles - the light grey recycled ones. They are heavy duty and can take bike stands and trolley jacks. Very pleased with the results.
That's good to hear Nick. I have actually just had Mototile samples delivered in various colours today. Quality looks great. I have a large double garage to do initially. Did you fit them yourself and if so were they easy to cut etc?
GTS πŸ˜€
Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

Yes, I did a large double and a single. Very easy to fit, used a hand-held jig saw mostly with minor trimming by Stanley knife. Their calculator is pretty good for estimating quantity and once you've done the sums and planned the fitting there's little waste. I used one colour only so no tricky patterns. The single garage had a rather uneven floor so I used levelling compound before the tiles were laid.
Edit to say that I used the thicker, recycled tiles, hence the jig saw. The thinner standard tiles will be easier to cut with a knife I guess.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Thanks Nick πŸ‘. Because of the area it is covering I have to use the thicker Heavy duty ones. The others are fine for single size garage only I have been told.
I just have to decide if I want to do a pattern and maybe get someone in to do it so I don't screw it all up.
You have any pics to post?
GTS πŸ˜€