Damaged one of my mirrors today

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
R850R

Post by R850R »

http://www.tradevanaccessories.co.uk/po ... y-2014-on/
Cheapest option might be a pair of these if you could tolerate the chrome finish.
S with an oil-burner engine and a few extras.

Moopie23

Post by Moopie23 »

I drove (very slowly) over a small tree branch in the road a few weeks ago but must have caught the edge of it as it flicked up and hit the door. I got home to find a dent the size of a coffee cup in the passenger door. Long story short I had to have a new door fitted and the bonnet re-sprayed. £3200. I claimed on insurance but had to pay the £550 excess. Aluminium seems like it dents very easily.
Last week I got back to my car to see that someone has obviously opened their car door in to the rear door and put a dent in that. FFS. Anyone know if they can knock out small dents in these doors?
Pete

Post by Pete »

ChipsAway can repair minor dents. Might be worth giving them a call and sending them a photo to see if they can help.

https://www.chipsaway.co.uk/services/pa ... scratches/
R850R

Post by R850R »

Attn: "Moopie23"
Not clear from your post whether you believe the doors are aluminium faced. They're not of course (check with a magnet), only the bonnet and rear hatch.

Macan shell.jpg

It's one of the disadvantages of Al being used to save weight. When it's dented the metal stretches much more than steel and consequently the "mobile" repairers who use prybars & dollies to push out minor dents in steel panels won't attempt Al panel repairs.

A big stone thrown up from a wagon caused a dent in my bonnet. I eventually gave up trying to fill it with Porsche paint and a new, painted bonnet from the POC was >£1k. :cry:
Moopie23

Post by Moopie23 »

R850R wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:25 pm Attn: "Moopie23"
Not clear from your post whether you believe the doors are aluminium faced. They're not of course (check with a magnet), only the bonnet and rear hatch.
Macan shell.jpg
It's one of the disadvantages of Al being used to save weight. When it's dented the metal stretches much more than steel and consequently the "mobile" repairers who use prybars & dollies to push out minor dents in steel panels won't attempt Al panel repairs.

A big stone thrown up from a wagon caused a dent in my bonnet. I eventually gave up trying to fill it with Porsche paint and a new, painted bonnet from the POC was >£1k. :cry:
Interesting to know, thank you. So are you saying then that there's no way to fix a dented panel and you have to have the panel replaced?
Pete

Post by Pete »

I think he's saying the opposite. If your common or garden fridge magnet sticks to the panel in question, it's not made of Aluminium, it's made of steel.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Yup, had a successful smart repair on the door of my SD after some *****dinged it in the car park.
I'm also fairly confident someone on here had a dented bonnet done with great success......
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Paul

Post by Paul »

Paul wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 4:42 pm Yup, had a successful smart repair on the door of my SD after some *****dinged it in the car park.
I'm also fairly confident someone on here had a dented bonnet done with great success......

Found it......painless aluminium smart repair.....

viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4067&hilit=Bonnet+repair
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
rydercowan

Post by rydercowan »

R850R wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2017 1:25 pm Attn: "Moopie23"
Wing section behind front wheels is also aluminium.
R850R

Post by R850R »

"Well done Wilson, I wondered who'd be first to spot that"

GM.jpg