Looking into the crystal ball

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Col Lamb wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 1:09 pm I vested an interest in the new Mini Countryman hybrid a couple of months ago.

Local dealer rang me to advise that they now have a demonstrator in stock.

Therefore I have arranged a test drive on Monday morning.

Initial blurb indicates that the EV side is severely range limited but for most of my short trips around the City it would be OK.

Will write up a review next wek.
Look forward to the write up col. I looked at the countryman hybrid but I wasn't convinced. Stuck with a petrol Countryman S 4 fully loaded for September delivery.

I was at Legoland today with the kids and watching them go round in their electric cars and then watch them all lined up being plugged..... kids may actually be ahead of us already 😀
GTS 😀

Nuclear Nick

Post by Nuclear Nick »

goron59 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:32 pm I called Volvo to ask for an XC60 T8 test drive. Didn't have one, so I'm having a XC90 T8 (the dual engine hybrid) test drive and then a XC60 D4 (diesel). I think I need to get this out of my system so I can get on with life :) A good mild hybrid that I don't need to plug in, but can if I want to, is going to feature in my life soon, I think.
Await with interest. In addition, or to replace the Macan?

I haven't been following the developments in hybrids/EV a great deal, are there now some other hybrids that plug in, in addition to the new XC60?

I have long been a fan of Swedish cars, great design philosophy and execution, and the best seats I've ever sat in.
Nick

Defender 90 V8

991.2 C2 GTS

Macan Turbo - sold

BMW K1300S, BMW R1250 GSA
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Nuclear Nick wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 10:14 pm
goron59 wrote: Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:32 pm I called Volvo to ask for an XC60 T8 test drive. Didn't have one, so I'm having a XC90 T8 (the dual engine hybrid) test drive and then a XC60 D4 (diesel). I think I need to get this out of my system so I can get on with life :) A good mild hybrid that I don't need to plug in, but can if I want to, is going to feature in my life soon, I think.
Await with interest. In addition, or to replace the Macan?

I haven't been following the developments in hybrids/EV a great deal, are there now some other hybrids that plug in, in addition to the new XC60?

I have long been a fan of Swedish cars, great design philosophy and execution, and the best seats I've ever sat in.
A possible replacement Nick.

There are times when the best things about the Macan are the things that other manufacturers do better (style, comfort, tech, etc) and this might just be one of them. I know it's not going to be a dynamic tour de force, but I rarely appreciate that side of the Macan.

But ~ 100mpg on shorter trips with charging and still 400+ hp when you you're in a hurry? Good ergonomics, comfort and materials? It's going to be intriguing to find out, for sure!
Used to have 2016 Macan Turbo PHCKCL70
Previously a 2014 Macan Turbo.
Now a 2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

Last time I test drove an XC60 for the weekend it made me feel sea-sick. It suffered from terrible pitching under braking and accel and even my wife commented on how bad it was. She thought I was doing it deliberately to annoy her at first! This was approx 3 years ago, so maybe they've improved the handling since, but it was a show-stopper for us back then. A shame because otherwise it was a very pleasant car to sit in. Maybe the new XC60 will be worth considering, but I have more faith in Porsche when it comes to the ride/handling compromise. The T8 variants look expensive at first glance, not sure I'd go there.
Paul

Post by Paul »

....back on thread (ish) more " news"......

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/po ... 42056.html
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

Paul wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:22 pm ....back on thread (ish) more " news"......

I noticed in the White Paper that's lots of talk about the availability and compatibility of charging points, nothing about urban charging issues and several mentions of something that doesn't get mentioned too often - hydrogen!
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

Dandock wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:40 pm
Paul wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 7:22 pm ....back on thread (ish) more " news"......

I noticed in the White Paper that's lots of talk about the availability and compatibility of charging points, nothing about urban charging issues and several mentions of something that doesn't get mentioned too often - hydrogen!
What availability?

I have been to London and back and Silverstone an back in a week resulting in stops at 3 Motorway service stations where I spotted:--

8 Tesla chargers

6 Tesla chargers

4 Chargers

London, zero seen anywhere in central areas and zero in the Hotel car park where I left the Turbo.

For safety, having EV charging points within existing liquid fuel filling stations will not likely happen.

Hence as I keep saying the infrastructure is just not there for significant take up of full EV, a lot of installation works are going to be required.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 5:30 pm Last time I test drove an XC60 for the weekend it made me feel sea-sick.
New XC60 is a completely different car. I wouldn't even bother looking looking at Volvo if they hadn't completely shifted direction since the new XC90.
goron59

Post by goron59 »

Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

What availability?

I have been to London and back and Silverstone an back in a week resulting in stops at 3 Motorway service stations where I spotted:--

8 Tesla chargers

6 Tesla chargers

4 Chargers

London, zero seen anywhere in central areas and zero in the Hotel car park where I left the Turbo.

For safety, having EV charging points within existing liquid fuel filling stations will not likely happen.

Hence as I keep saying the infrastructure is just not there for significant take up of full EV, a lot of installation works are going to be required.
Well, in my 9 mile journey in London this morning, I've seen 24 charging points, and whilst not seen them (they're hidden from view), I passed 3 Tesla supercharger locations.

Just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist, Col, so drawing a broad-based conclusion based on your own very limited experience isn't a very good idea. Ditto me saying there's no problem because I've seen so many.

I agree with your general point, but these little anecdotes don't add to it.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:33 am
Col Lamb wrote: Fri Jul 14, 2017 10:37 pm

What availability?

8 Tesla chargers

6 Tesla chargers

4 Chargers

Well, in my 9 mile journey in London this morning, I've seen 24 charging points, and whilst not seen them (they're hidden from view), I passed 3 Tesla supercharger locations.

Just because you haven't seen them, doesn't mean they don't exist, Col, so drawing a broad-based conclusion based on your own very limited experience isn't a very good idea. Ditto me saying there's no problem because I've seen so many.

I agree with your general point, but these little anecdotes don't add to it.
True

My point is and has been for a while is that there are not many charging stations currently available.

What is not a very good idea is not making the charging points visible.

Hence a lot of installation works is going to be required.

Btw one of the Tesla charging stations was at the back of a Service Station with no signage showing where they were.

Presumably in the future SatNavs will show charging stations.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags