Looking into the crystal ball

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
RupiV

Post by RupiV »

With all the talk of the big OEMs stopping production of petrol and diesel cars (e.g. Volvo, Audi), I was wondering what views are on residuals on our Macan's in 3-4 years time when this could be a reality.

I am due to take delivery of a Macan GTS next week and wondering what it might be worth in 3-4 years time in the backdrop of this and the likelihood a new Macan will be coming around that time also.? The Macan has held its value really well but could this come under pressure?

(I appreciate this is a theoretical chat but hopefully of interest to others).

Thanks
Volcano Grey Macan GTS, delivered July 2017

Pete

Post by Pete »

I expect to throw away at least £15K over the next 4 years. After that point, I need to decide whether it's cheaper to keep the car or move to something hybrid. Taking the cost-of -change into account, I'll probably stay with the Macan.

I think it's going to be a long time before traditional fuelled cars entirely phase out. Cars are the easy option to change over - but trucks and trains will take longer (and they're far more polluting than cars are).
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'm hoping the novelty value of a petrol engined car will significantly increase my residual😉😉😂😂😂
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Macananon

Post by Macananon »

Best guide to future values is to look at PCP residual values. That'll give you your worst case scenario.
Frenchy

Post by Frenchy »

Ecology French minister just announced that sales of Petrol & Diesel cars will stop in 2040... Ok still long time to go but it's the beginning of the end.
Macan GTS - http://www.porsche-code.com/PHWGUL86
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Not sure Governments have a very reliable crystal ball.

They tend to get it wrong on a rather regular basis so I certainly doubt petrol and diesel cars will disappear by 2040.
Dandock

Post by Dandock »

As I have just over 18 months left on my agreement whatever might be coming down the line is very much of interest - especially when a delivery lead time is factored in.
VG Petrol S http://www.porsche-code.com/PHIVCQU7           And a GT3 RS... by Lego! Not crash-tested! 😀
On-Track

Post by On-Track »

Pete wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 am I expect to throw away at least £15K over the next 4 years. After that point, I need to decide whether it's cheaper to keep the car or move to something hybrid. Taking the cost-of -change into account, I'll probably stay with the Macan.

I think it's going to be a long time before traditional fuelled cars entirely phase out. Cars are the easy option to change over - but trucks and trains will take longer (and they're far more polluting than cars are).
Bearing in mind that your car will have lost around 60% of its value over 4 years, I think your £15k is a little optimistic. Maybe your crystal ball is clearer than mine.
Peter

Current: 2020 Carmine Red GTS http://www.porsche-code.com/PMST9ZI9
Gone- 2015 Sapphire Blue Diesel
Gone -2013 Cayenne Diesel
andreas

Post by andreas »

Pete wrote: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:20 am I expect to throw away at least £15K over the next 4 years.
I reckon you could easily double that.
Macan S collected 4 Dec 2017 - Jet Black, 20" SportDesign, Agate/Pebble, 18-way, Pano roof, Bi-Xenons with PDLS, Surround View, PASM, PS+, spare wheel, towbar.
2021 Audi TT Roadster Black Edition (hers)
2011 Freelander 2 (workhorse)
Pete

Post by Pete »

I'm on a PCP. But yes, I might well be throwing away an obscene amount of money.