Anyone replaced a windscreen recently?

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

We picked up a stone chip yesterday and our insurers want us to have it repaired through National windscreens.
I understand some people had problems with recalibration in the past but apparently they have all the correct equipment for this now.
I would be interested in anyone else's experience.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)

Paul

Post by Paul »

I know Autoglass have recently invested in a load of kit for their s/w branch but not sure about National, sorry. Although, a successful chip repair shouldn't affect any camera / rain sensors....
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Hedgehog

Post by Hedgehog »

Thanks Paul,
I'm happy for National to do a repair but more concerned if the screen needs replacing (its borderline). I seem to remember there was all kind of problems a year or so ago with poor replacements and recalibration, although there was also some confusion on what options were affected.
Macan GTS Volcano Grey 2020
911 GTS Cab 2015 (991.1)
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Depends on your insurer. I got mine done via the OPC who got an external fitter in to do it. It was actually cheaper than Autoglass although I had to pay a higher excess. My original post is titled "Huge stone chip" if you want to search it out. My only worry with a new car (mine was 2 weeks old) was if there is a subsequent problem. Anyway, they did a good job and sorted it out with a £70xs (NFU). Let us know the outcome whatever you use.
wallaby

Post by wallaby »

My experience with Auto Windscreen

17th May - phone my insurers Lawshield - previously Marsh - to make a windscreen claim.
18th May Auto Windscreens make contact and suggest a date to replace - 24th May.
They ring and cancel and arrange a new date 31st May (difficulty in obtaining replacement screen)
Fit new screen 31st May. £75.00 excess paid. No calibration offered.
6th June I book my GTS into Colchester PC for re-calibration - completed. I was charged the £345.00. I send invoice to my insurers.
10th June - a call from Auto Windscreens saying they need to contact me to arrange recalibration of the camera!! - I am away from home.
15th June they ring to ask if the recalibration has been carried out!!
7th July cheque received from Aviva for the re-calibration.

Basically 7 weeks of faffing about during which time I am not sitting at home waiting for their call.

This, the second claim within the last 12 months has been an absolute pain.

If your PC is reasonably local I would try and persuade your broker/insurer to let you book the car into the PC and let them deal with the windscreen replacement and re-calibration - which, I am told, also requires correct wheel alignment. But the PC may not be able to invoice your insurer direct - requiring you to fund the cost and claim back from the insurer.

However even using the PC is not without concerns. The Auto Windscreen fitter pointed out the fact that my previous replacement 6 months earlier (via the PC) had been incorrectly fitted - Instead of bonding the screen to the metal work of the surround it had been stuck to the interior fabric!! This could have led to a serious failure of the screen.

Ho hum.
991.2 C4 NIght Blue - collected 16/5/18
http://www.porsche-code.com/PJSWXUK8
GTS sold
Diesel S - Sold
Cayman 981 2.7 PDK - Sold
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Interesting that the second fitter thinks the first replacement was fitted incorrectly. I don't think the Porsche centres do it themselves - mine got an external fitter in. Who knows where he came from?! They will however cover any future problems with it and you have a single point of contact in the future if there is a proble.
You are correct about the 4 wheel alignment which was itemised on my bill. This in itself caused a problem with the insurance company although they did pay for it when it was confirmed that this was part of the whole process.
davewf

Post by davewf »

If you are around Essex, Cambridge or Suffolk I recommend Mark Sumpter Glazing, they fit windscreens at all the upmarket car dealers and have fitted two for me one on a Boxster and one the Macan, Aviva only offered around £75 the actual cost was around £700.