9 month SD review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
ScotMac

Post by ScotMac »

Great write up.

Paul

Post by Paul »

Paul wrote: ↑Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:43 am Excellent write-up and a good balanced view of the options / features.
Re the seat memory, make sure there's no tick in the memory box....I know it's a bit counter intuative and the handbook / Good to Know isn't that clear but the tick in the memory box means the seat will always revert to its' last position - untick it and it should then be key dependant.
...a better explanation of auto memory needs to be UNticked....

IMG_1128.JPG

1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Spud

Post by Spud »

As someone who is now on their 3rd Macan I feel I can give a competent comment, my first two were Petrol and I loved them both, despite teething problems, I now have a SD and have not been disappointed as I find the performance more than adequate for the British roads, I know people say if you are having a Porsche it's got to be petrol but I would only agree with their other models not an SUV, The Macan in whatever shape or form is without doubt the best SUV on the market. To me the most important extras would be Pano Roof, Sports Chrono, ACC , I do miss ACC, I looked in to swopping to a GTS a few weeks ago but decided against it as in all honesty, as much as I like them, I couldn't see what real benefit I would gain for the money to change. Air suspension is good but I have not missed it , BOSE I could probably do without, I had eighteen way seats on first two Macan's and currently have fourteen way and I actually prefer them, I have SE on the SD and it does sound good but again at a push I could do without it, so that's my two penneth, it's all opinions thankfully, however the one thing I couldn't manage without is my Macan
GTS Delivered April 2018
WWW.porsche-code.com/PJKSBKF1
ALEX_MAC

Post by ALEX_MAC »

Thanks all for your thoughts. Spud, interesting you prefer the 14 way after having 18 way. I think I've read a few others who say that. Anyone gone the other way from 14 to 18 way and which did you prefer?

Spud - in preferring the diesel does this have anything to do with performance? Torque perhaps? What about the turbo lag?
Macan S Diesel ordered 10th March 2016, delivered 20th October 2016. Night blue / 20" RS Spyders / Agate Grey Adaptive Sport Seats / Air Suspension with PASM / Ventilated seats
Porsche code: PHZHFDH0
Paul

Post by Paul »

Not sure if it's a true comparaison, but I had 14 ways in my previous SD and currently have the standard sports seats in my GTS. My understanding (possibly erroneous) is that the 18 ways are the same as the 8 ways but with the additional lumbar and thigh support adjustments. They (my 8 ways) are certainly snugger than the 14 ways with the high side / thigh bolsters but I don't find them a great deal different comfort wise. They do give more lateral support when cornering hard compared to the 14s which were flatter accross the squab.

Re turbo lag; often confused with not being in the right gearπŸ˜‰ ..a bit of anticipation and a quick flip of the left hand paddle soon puts the revs in the right place - a good half way house compared to using sport mode which just puts the car into second gear and holds on to it too long for most everyday situations.
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
Kasfranks99

Post by Kasfranks99 »

Superb review Alex.
Don't forget to bring the umbrella if you are moving 😏
GTS πŸ˜€
jk88

Post by jk88 »

ALEX_MAC wrote: ↑Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:00 pm Thanks all for your thoughts. Spud, interesting you prefer the 14 way after having 18 way. I think I've read a few others who say that. Anyone gone the other way from 14 to 18 way and which did you prefer?

I originally had 14 way in my SD and decided to go 18 way in my GTS. I found the 14 way really comfortable but lacking in side support. I find the 18 way are every bit as comfortable but with excellent side support - just the job given the cornering prowess of the GTS ;)
Macan GTS - Mar 17 to Jan 23
Macan SD - Apr 16 to Mar 17
Ferdie

Post by Ferdie »

Excellent review Alex. I am 9 months in with an SD so your observations are interesting to me.

I have 18 way seats to get the lumbar adjustment and snug fit, I liked the 14 ways in the demo cars fine. I would say if you are short(me) or broad(not) getting in and out is hampered a little with the 18 way seats, others have commented as much, but when in you can get exactly as you like it. BTW the rear seats do not fold level for 18 way!

I have fallen prey to the lack of response once or twice, Paul is right the car can not guess what you want always, we may have to revert to driving again :lol:

I found that kick-down hard gets things going but it is very crude all or nothing effect, which is not what you often want, manual gears are challenging :? as I could actually be in coast mode so a grab of the paddle only puts it back in 7th and also if you do go down one gear and it would have been better going down 2 because you are now temporally in manual it still may not pull as you expected, then you need to go up a gear (the narrow rev band and quiet engine on the diesel does not help here), clearly a bit more practice is needed to get to know the PDK :D .

As suggested earlier "sport" seems the way to go for everyday driving as it becomes much sharper and for me guesses the gears really well when having more fun and not on the commute. Putting it on the diamond button is probably the safest way of engaging it, if you do not one of those that drive in it at all times :P .

All good fun and glad you are enjoying yours as well :lol:
991.1 C2 - Black Edition
(Prior) Macan SD - Night Blue
Fordson Dexta - 1960
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Try putting it in sport mode and manual. I quite like that combo for country road driving
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

Same here. Sport mode and auto for town (with the occasional manual shift up when holding the gear too long) and Sport or Sport + with manual for fun country roads or mountain passes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.