6 month SD review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

I think our practical needs (as in boot space and rear legroom) actually lie somewhere in between the Macan and Cayenne. But the Macan is a better fit for 95% of our usage, so gets the nod. But there are other cars in its external size class that comfortably beat it on practicality and therefore I think Porsche could have done better. That's not a complaint, but a realisation of the compromises Porsche chose to make with the Macan. I've had to work quite hard to convince my wife that it's actually a suitable family car for us and I'll definitely have to take some flak when we run out of boot space occasionally. She was way more impressed with the Disco Sport on first sight and weekend test drive and that includes looks too. I have to admit her points were valid too. The Disco Sport has a massive tall boot, loads of rear legroom with sliding seats etc. and it does actually look pretty good too. Obviously doesn't compete on performance, but she couldn't care less about that. It was a nice relaxing ride with a very airy cabin, which the kids loved. I'm taking a risk on the Macan in these respects and I suspect that is what the OP is trying to say with the negative aspects of the Macan. Is it a sports car? Maybe very close, especially the Turbo. Is it a practical family car? Again close, but not exactly class leading.

My mixed thoughts are not really putting me off though. Just tempting me with the Turbo to maximise the sports car aspect of the compromise! I've also pretty much dismissed the diesel for the same reason.

Pete

Post by Pete »

I had the same decision myself. My other half loved the disco sport I had on loan for a week. If my local main dealer would be able to hand over and service the vehicle to a remotely acceptable standard, I'd have one by now.
Tim92gts

Post by Tim92gts »

I'm feeling lucky!

My partner is a secret petrol head and is as excited as me about our new baby.

Grand daughter No1 is only two so no worries about rear headroom yet.
Tim
PP Turbo, LED PTV ACC Pano 20"Macans collected 6th September 2017
1992 928GTS
2003 996 Cab
Deleted User 1874

Tim92gts wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:21 pm I'm feeling lucky!

My partner is a secret petrol head and is as excited as me about our new baby.

Grand daughter No1 is only two so no worries about rear headroom yet.
Well actually my wife is a petrol head too and actually wants a 997.2 Turbo S for her daily drive! But she also has an eye for practicality and can see the limitations of the Macan as a family car. But she's coming round now as I will have to drive this car every day and I've been putting up with a Nissan Qashqai for the last 3 years as a daily hack! It's time I had something more fun to drive on the school run.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Peteski wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:07 pmIs it a sports car? Maybe very close, especially the Turbo. Is it a practical family car? Again close, but not exactly class leading.

My mixed thoughts are not really putting me off though. Just tempting me with the Turbo to maximise the sports car aspect of the compromise! I've also pretty much dismissed the diesel for the same reason.
To realise maximise the 'sports car aspect' why not throw caution to the wind & order a Turbo PP?! :twisted:
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018
Hawkeye

Post by Hawkeye »

We bought the Macan knowing that the boot space would be fine for 95% of what we need but insufficient for some trips, particularly holidays down to the South of France. For the latter, we simply use the roofbox. Better in my view to buy a car that fits 95% of your needs than live with one all the time for the occasional times you need it's vast boot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No longer part of the Porsche Family. Now enjoying a Giulia Quadrifoglio.
Macan S Diesel delivered Oct 6th 2016. http://www.porsche-code.com/PHI3WP95. Sold March 2018.
Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:50 pm
Peteski wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:07 pmIs it a sports car? Maybe very close, especially the Turbo. Is it a practical family car? Again close, but not exactly class leading.

To realise maximise the 'sports car aspect' why not throw caution to the wind & order a Turbo PP?! :twisted:
Thought had occurred! With the spec I'm looking at it works out at £56K for an S, £68K for a Turbo and £74K for a Turbo PP. I wonder how residuals would compare? If the PP holds its value better than an S then I might be able to put forward some man-maths to my wife :lol:
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

It's a no brainer!! ;)

And if she hankers after a 911 Turbo S, then the Turbo PP is its more practical cousin! :twisted:
Simon

Deleted User 1874

Wing Commander wrote: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:57 pm It's a no brainer!! ;)

And if she hankers after a 911 Turbo S, then the Turbo PP is its more practical cousin! :twisted:
Yeah, she misses her previous 997.2 C4S quite a lot and lost very little money on it over 3 years ownership (basically only lost the original dealer margin as the retail value was exactly the same as when she bought it). The main reason she wants a 997 Turbo S is because of the near zero depreciation for such an epic performing car. I could attempt the same argument with the Macan Turbo PP. Even if it turns out to be a false hope, it will be too late by then ;)
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Ha ha! Go for it! ;)

(And I predict that Arif might be investigating a 997.2 Turbo S as we speak!)
Simon