6 month SD review

All Porsche Macan Related Discussion
Deleted User 1874

Post by Deleted User 1874 »

goron59 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am A couple of years ago there were discussions about how the Macan was a good car because it was pretty good at most things.
Since that time I've come to the conclusion that the Macan isn't a very good good car because it is pretty bad at most things.
My only wish with the Macan is that they hadn't compromised quite so much with boot space with a sloping rear end. It could have been quite a bit more practical without losing any significant performance. That's where LR have scored so highly with the Disco Sport. It is truly a practical car for its size, while the Macan is not. Not that I'd choose a Disco S over the Macan, just lamenting on what could have been an even better mid-sized SUV.

happy days

Post by happy days »

Peteski wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:20 am
goron59 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am A couple of years ago there were discussions about how the Macan was a good car because it was pretty good at most things.
Since that time I've come to the conclusion that the Macan isn't a very good good car because it is pretty bad at most things.
My only wish with the Macan is that they hadn't compromised quite so much with boot space with a sloping rear end. It could have been quite a bit more practical without losing any significant performance. That's where LR have scored so highly with the Disco Sport. It is truly a practical car for its size, while the Macan is not. Not that I'd choose a Disco S over the Macan, just lamenting on what could have been an even better mid-sized SUV.
But then it mightn't look as nice.
Macan S D
718 S
Benz

Post by Benz »

In actual fact I would have prefered a little less boot space to allow more rear leg room. The boot is just fine for my purposes but there are times when it feels a little tight inside. If the rear seat were on runners like my '99 RX300 that would be a good working solution.
Col Lamb

Post by Col Lamb »

goron59 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 10:16 am .
But I think Macan is still a good single-car compromise.
Your comment on a single car compromise is spot on.

I will not comment on your apparent negative views on the state of your current Macan ownership.

For anyone who is having doubts after reading his comments may I share my own thoughts with you folks?

As the only driver between my Wife and I, we only need one car and the Macan fits the bill perfectly and 18 months into ownership of two Macans my own perceptions have reinforced the belief that the Macan is still the best car for me at this current time.

Consider the plus points of my Turbo:-

0-60 in a shade over 4.5s which is quick in anyone's book, what else comes close and still has the great ride quality?
Better than most vehicles on the road with its on the move acceleration
The best handling car in the SUV category
It rides very well
its comfortable
Its quiet
Its boot holds enough reasonably sized luggage for four people
Its economical for its engine and size
It cruises effortlessly
It looks good
All switchgear is readily accessible
It is very easy to get into and out of (important if you have mobility issues)
The LED lighting is simply superb

Minus points:-

Flaky software
Technology is last generation
Standard internal storage limited
Interior of arm rest is rubbish as it will not easily fit a mobile with the lead connected to the USB port
Rear quarter visibility
The physical size of the Macan is a bit to large for my lifestyle and this would be the prime reason why I would consider changing.

To me the minus points are just that minimal in their impact on Macan enjoyment.

What else is there that even comes close?

Alfa, Jag, LR, Merc, Audi, Volvo, that is it and non of them match the exterior and interior quality never mind the handling and on road performance except probably for the Alfa.

Finally, good luck to Goran in finding a car that suits your criteria.
Col
Macan Turbo
Air, 20” wheels, ACC, Pano, SurCam, 14w, LEDs, PS+, Int Light Pack, Heated seats and Steering, spare wheel, SC, Privacy glass, PDK gear, SD mirrors, Met Black, rear airbags
Ian.g

Post by Ian.g »

Benz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:18 pm In actual fact I would have prefered a little less boot space to allow more rear leg room. The boot is just fine for my purposes but there are times when it feels a little tight inside. If the rear seat were on runners like my '99 RX300 that would be a good working solution.
The problem here is that you would move the seats back further into the sloping rear area and reduce head room. My 15 yr old son has no problem with rear leg room (he is 6'1'') but I didn't have a pano roof because it reduces head room too much. Moving the seats back would exacerbate this.
Paul

Post by Paul »

Whilst I don't sit in the back (EVER😉) my 2 " boys" at 6ft and a bit each don't find it too bad....the problem arises when the youngest's girl-friend, who is also tall at 5'10+, comes along.

Being young and flexible they don't moan too much!
1st Sapphire SD
2nd Sapphire GTS
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=4296
Current 992 S Cab
viewtopic.php?f=23&t=9845&p=196465#p196465
jesim1

Post by jesim1 »

If anything, this thread says that any car is a compromise.

No matter what car you have - the things you want and like have to be weighed up against the things you dislike and don't want. So you want more room - you gain size and weight, you want more performance - you sacrifice ride quality and economy - and so the list goes on.........

If you can have several cars for different reasons then your well off and in luck, but both myself and my wife have cars which suit us, and I chose a Macan because it's prestigious, good quality, easy to get in and out, has a fair turn of performance, is comfortable, reliable, well made, good looking, economical, has good residuals, and I can stick the garden rubbish in it at the weekend and take it to the tip just as easy as sticking the rest of the family in and taking them to the coast.

I've picked the right car for me at this moment in time, in 5 years if they make a smaller version I would probably go for that, 10 years ago I was actively scuba diving most weekends, so a Cayenne would have been my ride of choice, and 10 years before that, if I could have afforded a 911 in those days I would have had one of those.

"You pays your money you takes your chance" - but it's your money, your chance, and your decision.

James
Benz

Post by Benz »

Ian.g wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 6:19 pm
Benz wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:18 pm In actual fact I would have prefered a little less boot space to allow more rear leg room. The boot is just fine for my purposes but there are times when it feels a little tight inside. If the rear seat were on runners like my '99 RX300 that would be a good working solution.
The problem here is that you would move the seats back further into the sloping rear area and reduce head room. My 15 yr old son has no problem with rear leg room (he is 6'1'') but I didn't have a pano roof because it reduces head room too much. Moving the seats back would exacerbate this.
I have mostly shorter friends :D but point taken.
Obebiker

Post by Obebiker »

jesim1 wrote: Thu Jul 20, 2017 11:07 pm If anything, this thread says that any car is a compromise.

No matter what car you have - the things you want and like have to be weighed up against the things you dislike and don't want. So you want more room - you gain size and weight, you want more performance - you sacrifice ride quality and economy - and so the list goes on.........

If you can have several cars for different reasons then your well off and in luck, but both myself and my wife have cars which suit us, and I chose a Macan because it's prestigious, good quality, easy to get in and out, has a fair turn of performance, is comfortable, reliable, well made, good looking, economical, has good residuals, and I can stick the garden rubbish in it at the weekend and take it to the tip just as easy as sticking the rest of the family in and taking them to the coast.

I've picked the right car for me at this moment in time, in 5 years if they make a smaller version I would probably go for that, 10 years ago I was actively scuba diving most weekends, so a Cayenne would have been my ride of choice, and 10 years before that, if I could have afforded a 911 in those days I would have had one of those.

"You pays your money you takes your chance" - but it's your money, your chance, and your decision.

James

That is so very true!! After spending a day in a boxster a few months back I was glad to get back in my Macan to simply relax.
Wing Commander

Post by Wing Commander »

Driving a Macan, Panamera or Cayenne, plus regularly being able to borrow a Cayman, Boxster or even 911 for a day is a pretty good set up! ;)
Simon

Sold: 2016 Rhodium Silver Macan 2.0
Sold: 2013 Platinum Silver 911 (991.1) C2
Sold: 2017 Carmine Red Panamera 4
Mine: 991.2 Carrera T Racing Yellow 06/04/2018